Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Tach and Indicators integrated in visor

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:26 PM
jamesr242
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Tach and Indicators integrated in visor

I posted this over on xlforum, but I thought I might as well post it here as well.

I though I'd post up some pics and a video of the christmas present I got and installed. I got a motogadget motoscope mini (p/n 681476 from the custom chrome catalog) in the polished finish. It's around 300 from discountcycleparts.com. Its a pretty neat unit that features digital speedo/tach, trip meter, odometer, programmable shift light, and even has a light sensor that changes the brightness.

At first I was using the side mount speedo, and just removed my tach and was using visor indicators from a 2003 FXDL. But, I began to miss the tach and thought I could come up with something different. So I saw that a couple others on xlforum.net installed the motogadget and noticed the shape is the same the same as the opening in our sporty visors. Made some measurements, and sure enough, a perfect fit! I haven't really done any sort of documentation of my mods, so I figured I would give this a shot and try to contribute.

The indicators are 12v LED's from the local Radio Shack. $2 each and they are 30 mcd in brightness. I'm going to have to change them because they can't really be seen in the daylight. I'm going to get some 12v LEDs that don't use a lens and should be a bit brighter and less directional (which makes these hard to see because they aren't aimed right at you). Be careful when wiring the indicators because polarity can't be switched for LED like it can for regular bulbs and for some retarded reason, HD uses black wire for positive and negative wires for the indicators.

The backing plate was cut out of an ikea dish rack using metal shears. Any piece of thin metal will do because the motogadget weighs nothing. I wouldn't recommend trying to use a hacksaw (tried and it was much harder). As you can see the indicators had to be epoxyed in because the were too close together to use the retention nuts that came with the LED's.

Your going to need to remove the gas tank to get access to the speedo/indicator connector under the tank on the right side of the bike (right if your sitting on the bike).

You aren't going to need 3 wires from the original connector. You don't need the battery (always on +12V), accessory (+12V) or databus wires so just pull them out and shrinkwrap them individually and then together so they're not flopping all over the place. You only need ignition power for the motogadget. FYI DO NOT buy shrink wrap tubing at the local hardware store unless you like getting ripped off. They only place I've found it at a reasonable price is Harbor Freight, but if that's not close, you might try ebay.

Also, be careful when you are hooking up the indicators on which wires are positive and negative. Some indicators use a positive constant with a negative trigger and some vice versa. Wire all of the contant positive and constant negative wires together close to the visor because there is only one supply wire for each (look at your wiring diagram).

As far as connecting the wires, you have a couple of options. I was orginally going to use the stock Deutsch connector until I realized the crimping tool costs like $300 to attach the pins. I just soldered the wires together and shrink wrapped them. You could on the other hand pay the HD service guy a few bucks to crimp some pins if you like. If you go with the crimping option, I would solder some higher gauge wire (I used 18 gauge black wire for the whole project) to the motogadget wires because they are tiny and the pins won't stay crimped to such a small wire. SHRINK WRAP ALL CONNECTIONS.

For the push-button switch, I would probably recommend tossing the one that comes with the motogadget because it is tiny and is hard to feel/press with gloves on. You can use probably any momentary push button switch from Radio Shack. Anyway, if you use the stock switch, bend the contacts outward when you solder the wires on because if you accidentally solder the contacts together the switch will be useless.

Don't forget to use a fuse on the ignition power wire with a 5A fuse (ignition already has a fuse at the block, but it's for 15A, too high for motogadget). I used a mini blade style from Napa because it's small and waterproof. On a side note, check out my cool motorcycle lighter!

To make the speedometer and tachometer work you need to connect the speed sensor and ICM. The speed signal came from pin 10 of the ICM which is a white wire with a green stripe. The motogadget manual says you need to connect a resistor (included) between the VSS signal and VSS power supply which is pin 3 (red wire w/ white stripe). I don't know if this is necessary, but I did it because the manual told me. I'm not an electrical engineer, actually I was for a week before I switched my major to mechanical, but I believe the purpose of the resistor is to reduce the current of the speed signal while keeping the voltage the same. Just make two wire leads off of pins 3 and 10 and connect the resistor to the pin 3 lead. Then shrink wrap the pin 3 wire past the resistor (this will prevent the VSS signal wire from touching the power supply before the resistor). Connect the VSS signal lead to the end of the resistor and you have your speed signal. I can draw a diagram if anyone would like, but the pictures of the wires are pretty useless IMO because it's difficult to see whats going on.

As far as the tach signal, I just used the white wire coming from pin 2 of my Daytona Twin Tec TC88A ignition and enabled the tach output. I'm pretty sure you can use the stock ignition with this speedo though. Even though the stock module is dual fire, (2x as many sparks as RPM's), there are settings in the motogadget which should let you correct that. You should be able to connect the low voltage ignition wire going to the coil to the motogadget by just spicing in a lead.

Looking at my wiring diagram it looks like you could splice in a lead at either of the signal wires going to the ignition coil (front or rear) which are the green wire w/ orange stripe (front) and the yellow wire with green stripe. Each plug will spark as many times as the total RPM, so no correction factor should be needed. Just splice a lead on one of those wires and connect it to the yellow lead of the motogadget and you should be good to go, but I haven't tried this though.

More Pics:

As you can see from this photo, you don't loose the security light (another LED from Radio Shack). You do lose the Engine Light though, unless you use the m-Can from the motogadget company. The m-Can will let you have a more plug and play install (into the diag. port) and it can decode the databus signal into an Engine Light output, but it costs like 60 euros or around $85 US plus shipping from Europe which isn't cheap. If it was in the Custom Chrome catalog I might have considered it, but I can still read the error codes with the TC88A anyway.

Pic of my new low profile tail light and license plate frame just because.

I'm going to add some more info like the pin wire assignment for the speedo/indicator connector (info that wasn't in my Clymer manual).

VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0dy6LPacrQ

Last edited by jamesr242; 01-26-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:48 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that's pretty sweet dude and she gets to stay indoors! nice writeup.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, thanks for posting your work.
Just an FYI for others looking to do something similar.....www.speedwayinstruments.com will have their mini speedo out in Feb. that is smaller than that and probably in the $150+ range. If ya like a tach. those are pretty cool too. Just thought I'd add this since I'm thinking of ditching my big speedo in the future as well and they make the smallest one around.

Last edited by capttawes; 01-27-2009 at 09:02 AM.