Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rigid Struts + solo seat...how many of ya?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
89heritagesoftail
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rigid Struts + solo seat...how many of ya?

have done this combo?

i'm waiting to use my buddy's garage facilities to cut my rear fender and then add the solo seat.
but i already have Licks' Rigid struts on, and it's a pretty hard ride.
i'd like to take it to Sturgis this year, give my heritage a break,
but i worry about the harness of the ride.

i could just get some blacked out short shocks for the rear, but i'm trying to keep it all retro and stuff.

any tips or info from you guys that have done it all?

dan

Old 01-23-2009, 07:22 AM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rode with struts for a WHILE.Bates style solo seat with NO springs.Yeah it's a rough ride but for me it was what I was used to and I enjoyed it.I like riding cycles that are challenging.Mid controls help.You can stand up and get off the seat some.I had no problem doing a few hundred miles on this bike.........thats where the 2.2 peanut helps.....frequent stops.After a whole day you kinda feel like you got the **** kicked out you .........good times!!!!! A whole different ride than a real rigid
Seroiusly, if you're gonna do alot of highway riding the struts aren't bad at all........as long as the roads are decent.You gotta be more aware of whats comming up in front of you.You also gotta watch your hard turns cause the rear will will tend to skip if if it's bumpy enough.Just take 'em slower........you'll get the feel

I've since went back to shocks.........covered shocks from an old Shovel.........I think ,
and they're not a whole lot better but I do get a little travel which helps on real rough spots.The only reason I switched back is 'cause I do alot more city riding now and the potholes and train tracks were killing me...... and too much **** started to fall off.

Attached Thumbnails Rigid Struts + solo seat...how many of ya?-052508_13021.jpg  
Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Might just be me, but I don't understand the solid strut thing on a Sportster..

It might give you a hardtail ride, but without the 'look' of an actual hardtail.

Seems that it would be better for the backbone to just check around and find some covered shocks to install. I'm sure there are some narrow diameter models out there that would bolt up to the bike.

You would still have the 'look' of a strut, but also have a little spring dampening for the rear suspension.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

"You would still have the 'look' of a strut, but also have a little spring dampening for the rear suspension."

I think alot of the appeal of the struts is to get the fender down as low as possible. Not necessarly for the look of the strut. I could be wrong.
I personally dont see why you would want to take away the suspension just to get another inch or 2 down on the tire.
My nightster rides rough enough as is. But to each their own.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
TheLaw
Tourer

I am setup that way. Check out my gallery for pics.

The LAW

Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

solid struts and a fork brace? please stop being so stupid.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:34 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Certainteed
solid struts and a fork brace? please stop being so stupid.

I don't get it

Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Might just be me, but I don't understand the solid strut thing on a Sportster..

It might give you a hardtail ride, but without the 'look' of an actual hardtail.

Seems that it would be better for the backbone to just check around and find some covered shocks to install. I'm sure there are some narrow diameter models out there that would bolt up to the bike.

You would still have the 'look' of a strut, but also have a little spring dampening for the rear suspension.
+1 I don't get replacing shocks with struts either, other than to rattle your bones to the closest watering hole, or is it Starbucks?

Maybe I'm just to old, but I like to RIDE and think nothing of running 300 miles once a week for a hamburger. That just ain't going to happen on a rigid.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:38 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Man I did struts for a very short time. What I finally ended up with is a set of stock shocks lowered by Skullman with 1" of travel. I still get the good looks but there is still enough movement to not break your back.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:03 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cHarley
+1 I don't get replacing shocks with struts either, other than to rattle your bones to the closest watering hole, or is it Starbucks?

Maybe I'm just to old, but I like to RIDE and think nothing of running 300 miles once a week for a hamburger. That just ain't going to happen on a rigid.
Why not?.............I rode mine EVERYDAY for a couple of years like that,regularly doing couple of hundred mile trips...........and not to Starbucks either......
......my cycle is no bar hopper.I like to "RIDE" too

Attached Thumbnails Rigid Struts + solo seat...how many of ya?-052508_13021.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rigid Struts + solo seat...how many of ya?