Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder monsters

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
USA1HD1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
I can't believe how many people think there bikes have to make so much noise that everyone around them wants to kill them.
I had the same pipes as you and I put a set of those baffles in, I might as well have taken a hack saw to the pipes and saved the money, they not only where obnoxiuosly loudbut they also destroyed the bottom end performance of the bike.
If you people keep doing this stupid upgrade someday we will all have to use stock hush-hush mufflers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE HEEE HE...... Yea right I want the damn loud Jets that fly over my head to get mufflers also! I never lost any bottom end performance I can smoke the rear tire for half a city block. But then I have what they call Fule injection maybe that's ya problem!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ooh ya... tjbindel just so you know... I have been pulled over 4xs for my pipes, i dont ride like an idiot... my my brothers chopper i had to call martin brothers and get some from them... he got harrassed EVERY time we went out... besides the girls hated being on the back cause it was so loud....
you may think it is cool to be super loud but when you ride in a group, we put you at the end cause no one wants to ride by you....
as all my rocket buddies say... ALL SOUND AND NO GO... there is no point to that... beef the hell out of the motor then you can scream all you want

in the state of IL if they feel that your bike is too loud they can have it impounded on the spot! push the cop and he will do it... a buddies night train was tossed on the flat bed this past fall cause of it... he had the V&H short shots as well... just warning you... i live in the same area.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
tjbindel
Advanced

Thanks for the word of caution. I never rode with a group before, usually just me and the pops. If the PD start giving me crap than I may change my mind.

I will beef up the engine later cause I'm a little short on cash now (student loans ect.). I refuse to believe that 1200cc is too small or that I will "out grow" the bike, it just needs a bit of tinkering with. Once I start collectng pay checks from the Navy I'll be able to invest the money into the performance parts and stuff.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

1200 is plenty of bike man! i like my baffels i can still hear my stereo loud and clear as i rip down the road!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
matt816
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which v and h baffles was the op talking about? does anyone know?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:47 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess you guys don't live in Colorado or New York those people have already lost there right to run a performance exhaust because of inconsiderate people.
I can tell from 3 blocks away a bike that has a performance engine and a performance exhaust or a stock bike with a set of baffles it to try and make it sound like it has more than it does.
Grow up you're not fooling anyone.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
tjbindel
Advanced

Originally Posted by matt816
which v and h baffles was the op talking about? does anyone know?
The regular baffles that come with the Short shots. I would like to make my bike louder and started this thread to get feed back on the thunder monster because I haven't heard them in person.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
ooh ya... tjbindel just so you know... I have been pulled over 4xs for my pipes, i dont ride like an idiot... my my brothers chopper i had to call martin brothers and get some from them... he got harrassed EVERY time we went out... besides the girls hated being on the back cause it was so loud....
you may think it is cool to be super loud but when you ride in a group, we put you at the end cause no one wants to ride by you....
as all my rocket buddies say... ALL SOUND AND NO GO... there is no point to that... beef the hell out of the motor then you can scream all you want

in the state of IL if they feel that your bike is too loud they can have it impounded on the spot! push the cop and he will do it... a buddies night train was tossed on the flat bed this past fall cause of it... he had the V&H short shots as well... just warning you... i live in the same area.
x2....some spots around philly, they'll walk right up to your tailpipe and stick a DB reader in there and fine you on the spot. v&h's are plenty loud man.

Last edited by bmxatv; 02-06-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 PM
aaron8771
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Go with BCT baffles

I had V&H shortshots on my Fatboy. I could hardly hear the thing running and wanted to change that, so i started by cutting the baffle in half with no luck. Then I took about 3/4 of it off with no luck. Didn't sound any different. I ran it without a baffle for a couple years. It was loud, way too loud, and I really didn't like the bumbling and popping when i let off the throttle. Also the mid range torque wasn't there. You can always tell when a bike goes by with a V&H exhaust that has the baffle out. I wanted a new exhaust but before I could get one, my bike burnt up in a garage fire. I bought a Night Train and it came with V&H shortshots. Iv'e had it for a few years now and was planning on replacing the exhaust. Until a friend of mine got the BCT baffles a few months ago. He's got shorties on his bike and they sound great. Not too loud and has a nice rumble. I will be ordering mine soon and also will be using black exhaust wrap for a totally new look and sound.