Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much free time mods.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:49 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Too much free time mods.....

Well not really mods. persay but subtle improvements.

Lets just say that free time, boredom, cold miserable weather can often result in your bike looking like this:

Pulled my wheels and decided to pull the brake rotors which were a little rusted and worn after 25k miles of use, not that they look all that great in the dull gray rough texture when new either. So I ground the rough texture in the ctr. smooth and then wetsanded 225-2000 grit and polished with mothers (stainless shines up well), stop at a lower grit on the brake surface so it will grip well.

Decided to pull my triple trees and inspect and lube the bearings (which needed it). So while they were off I figured what the heck, why not really polish the dull areas and parts that show to a brilliant shine. But first I filed the casting marks off then sanded them completely with 225-2000 grit to remove scratches then finshed them off with some machine polishing with mothers (I did my fork lowers a couple years ago the same way). Here's some before and after shots during the filing and rough sanding up to washing the polish residue off before reinstalling them (sorry for polish shots are a little dim, but you get the picture). If I decide to keep my narrow glide trees in the future and eventually go to a relocated mini speedo I'll just cut the top tree mounts off which is where my speedo is mounted now with an early style xl/dyna single guage bracket. Who knows, I might even powder coat them eventually.

I've also pulled my rear pulley which will be going out to powder coat this week for some high gloss vivid black. I had stripped and sanded it along with some epoxy paint but was not saitisfied with the finish or durability so I figured I'd do it the right way. I did however epoxy paint my former chrome shock perch covers to go with my already black shocks and fender strut covers I had powder coated last year. While I had the wheels off they also got a thorough chrome polish job since they have never seen more than soap and windex. Also waxed and buffed the tins and parts of the frame and swingarm.

So basically I just did a few no $$ mods. and maintenance to kill some time.

Last edited by capttawes; 01-19-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:09 PM
CrxRex
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good

Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
SHOAT
Road Master

Looks good. Lots of hard work.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:13 PM
jtaylor
Tourer

Looks great can't believe the differance it made cleaning up those casting marks.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
WillieD
Cruiser

Nice work. Whats your address. I'm sending my bike up!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

kewl

Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieD
Nice work. Whats your address. I'm sending my bike up!
LOL I was also thinking the same thing, about where to store my bike next winter. What is your address? Inquiring minds NEED to know!

Looks great!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:08 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

That looks really good and I'll bet you had fun.... That's not hard work... that's hard playing!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 AM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less

Nice detail work. Its stuff like this that will set your bike apart but alot people won't be able to pinpoint exactly why.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. Gotta do something to pass these past teens to 20 degree days away and what better way than spending quality time with your bike in a heated workshop Now if I had to work in my cold drafty garage it would be out of the question. Just wanted to share what simple things can be done to avoid the winter blues while still spending time with but not necessarily on the bike.

Quick Reply: Too much free time mods.....