Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lucas oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mississippiboy
ive done some research on the additive you might want to do the same! many people are saying do not use the additive
You are right. There is no need to be throwing additives into synthetic oil. In fact, it may do more harm than good.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a really good article i beleive i googled lucas motorcyle oil and found a kawasaki site there they had a link that was some very good information. if i think about when i get home ill find it for you

Old 01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i rock the 20w50 lucas and 20oz of the oil additive in EVERY bike i own! LOVE IT!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:52 PM
grm
1st Gear
Default Mobil 1 hard to find

Here in Asheville NC you can't find Mobil 1, they say because the hurricane destroyed their factory. Won't have any until April. Is there any truth to that? Andale.....

Last edited by grm; 01-20-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

This is incorrect, there are many lube plants around the country, none in NC for Exxonmobil though. The oil is manufactured an shipped where it is needed. I dont know about the Lucas additive but can attest that most of the popular MC syn oils have very good additive packages in the oil already, my guess is that it will provide minimal benefit.

cHarley has the best advice as to how to get it, this is exactly what I do.

Originally Posted by grm
Here in Asheville NC you can't find Mobil 1, they say because the hurricane destroyed their factory. Won't have any until April. Is there ant truth to that? Andale.....

Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 AM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

here in backwoods MS the O reilly's will order it for you with next day service. mobile 1

Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Far as the original question.......

Haven't used it myself, but Lucas makes good products and I wouldn't be afraid to use their oil in any of my bikes....

Myself and most of the guys I know run the regular Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic oil in our engines, and if you check out various used oil data you will see that it isn't very different than "super-duper motorcycle only oils" companies are pushing for twice the cost. But if someone wants to spend the additional money that's their decision.

Also, for what it's worth, I've been using Lucas heavy duty oil stabiizer at each oil change for years and years. I don't use that much, maybe 2 or 3 ounces, but I believe in the product.

But like everything else opinions vary, so each person needs to use and do what they think is best for their own bike.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

A little off topic but you guys buying oil at auto stores and wall mart are you buying you oil filters there or using "genuine" HD oil filters?

Old 01-21-2009, 12:17 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
A little off topic but you guys buying oil at auto stores and wall mart are you buying you oil filters there or using "genuine" HD oil filters?
I've typically bought the HD filter or the K&N filters while I've been at indy shops....but the other day I did notice that Wallyworld had the Fram chrome motorcycle filter for mine, so I picked one up while getting the 5 QT Mobil 15W50....I got the Lucas at the Autozone while getting stuff to fix my truck. This is the first time using the Fram on my scoot. Fram has always been good to me with past vehicles......but ask about using a Fram on a truck website I frequent & you'll get a lecture balsting Fram.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Speaking of oil filters........

I don't like the idea of running the 10 mic (let alone the 5 mic) filters Harley now recommends forthe 'EVO based engines' in the Sportsters.

I run either the chrome 63796-77A or 63813-90T filters in my Sportster, depending on the time of the year. These are 30 mic filters that are recommended for Big Twin EVO engines.

The 63813-90T is a longer filter that has more surface area to provide a little additional cooling, and I sometime run one of them during the hottest 'dog days' of summer here in the lower midwest... Only negative thing is that they do stick out a little further than the regular length filters.

Normally I just run the shorter 63796-77A.

The extra surface area of the 63813-90T might not provide a lot of additional cooling of the oil, but I imagine it works as well if not better than the 'cooling fin' covers some people buy.

Quick Reply: lucas oil