Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle vs. Straightshots

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 PM
jhughs
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screamin Eagle vs. Straightshots

Hello all,

New to the forum, had my bike (08' 1200 Low) for about a year now. I am looking to put intake and exhaust on it before summer hits. I was wondering if there is any advantage to the factory Screamin Eagle slip-ons over the Staightshot slip-ons. Ive been reading about the sound of the V&H's and I think that is what I am looking for, I was wondering if anyone has any idea about horsepower/torque differences between the two though? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the sound or tone quality of the Screamin Eagle is better and as far as horsepower gains go they ate likely a push.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:22 AM
smokem
Cruiser

v/h all the way

Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

I went in to buy the SE's at the dealer and was told they don't sound much better than the stock pipes and to go with something else if sound is what you're after. Personally...I love the sound of my Straightshots. I'd recommend the quiet baffles to give it a lower rumble as well. Get the V&H's...you won't regret it.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jbg
I went in to buy the SE's at the dealer and was told they don't sound much better than the stock pipes and to go with something else if sound is what you're after. Personally...I love the sound of my Straightshots. I'd recommend the quiet baffles to give it a lower rumble as well. Get the V&H's...you won't regret it.
There are two types of SE slip ons. One is no longer available although they can be found from time to time. These are the SEII and they are far superior to the V&H both in terms of looks and horsepower. The new SE pipes are quieter but to say they aren't much better than stock is flat wrong and that dealer is trying to make a buck selling a name.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:00 AM
scotty-j
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the straight shots and love the sound with the regular baffles...my buddy has a dyna super glide sport and went in to get some s/e units and the parts and service guys both told him a couple years ago s/e redesigned all their pipes and they are a lot quieter than they were a couple years ago...cannot vouch for this but i have heard this from several people now...might try listening to some clips on youtube...either way they are both good products, your ears will have to make the final decision.

here is a sound clip of my v&h

Last edited by scotty-j; 01-18-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put SE on my new Ultra because I didn't want to deal with the legal issues. There is a lot of BS coming down lately. My other two bikes have illegal pipes on then and I feel that it could be a problem in a year or two. Once these law makers discover how easy it is to tell (engraved stamp on bottom) I think we all are in a lot of trouble.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mandog
I put SE on my new Ultra because I didn't want to deal with the legal issues. There is a lot of BS coming down lately. My other two bikes have illegal pipes on then and I feel that it could be a problem in a year or two. Once these law makers discover how easy it is to tell (engraved stamp on bottom) I think we all are in a lot of trouble.
I agree. The noise issues concerning loud pipes are not getting any better and there are many cities that have flat gone over the top with their enforcement efforts. I will however say it seems to be a judgment thing in some places. Pipes are loud but then again there are pipes that go beyond loud to the point they are annoying to the general public and these are the pipes that are putting us all on the endangered species list so to speak.

The Kentucky law prohibits the alteration of any exhaust that would make it louder than it came from the manufacturer. This is pretty easy to enforce because you can hardly here a stock bike exhaust. However, in my travels around this state it would appear it all boils down to how loud the pipes actually are and the attitude of the bike's rider. I can live with that as I am not one to draw attention to myself or the bike. Then again, I try my best to avoid populated places anyway.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Lindsey141
Road Master

I had SEII's on my bike when I bought it used.
They sound so bad a$$ I never think of changing them.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM
kahaone
Road Master

It's also recommended to know which is the "start" button, and which is the "stop" button.
Right Scott?

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle vs. Straightshots