Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you think it's worth??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How much do you think it's worth??

I've been looking for a new bike, actually I've been looking for a Dyna. But with these hard economic times (plus a new truck payment) I've begun looking at Sportys again. I came across an ad for a local bike a couple of months ago and decided to contact the owner to see if the bike was still for sale.

I got a reply today. He still has the bike. It's an '02 Sporty 883, converted to a 1200 with a Stage one with rejet completed at a dealer. He has 2 QD windshields, some saddle bags, a set of mini-apes installed, a Fat Bob tank, crash bar, SE mufflers, forward controls, a Mustang Vintage solo seat and sissy bar. He also had the front sprocket changed out to the 1200 size.

The bike has 17k miles on it. In your opinion, what is the bike worth?? I was shopping for a Dyna, but work has slowed down quite a bit and I could buy this bike and pay off the balance within a few months vs taking on another loan. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a little reluctant to take on another payment right now, so this bike is looking pretty good. I've contacted the seller and might look at it Sunday.

I know once the weather here in the northeast breaks I'll really be goin' nuts without a bike. I purchased property last year and would like to clear the land and start building in the spring, so I don't want to over extend myself... At some point I'll look for a BT, but until the economy turns around I'm just looking to get back on 2 wheels...

I appreciate any and all opinions...

Attached Thumbnails How much do you think it's worth??-fat-sporty.jpg  
Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You never said what he's asking for that scoot, just remember this, to the bank, since they have to go by the numbers on the title, it's a seven year old 883. The market in your area might be able to handle more, but, I wouldn't go over $5500. I doubt he'll take it though.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:35 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zimbob
You never said what he's asking for that scoot, just remember this, to the bank, since they have to go by the numbers on the title, it's a seven year old 883. The market in your area might be able to handle more, but, I wouldn't go over $5500. I doubt he'll take it though.
Agreed and at that price you can get a rubber mount.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ***** in your court

I think $5500 is way too much for an '02, I have seen '06s on consignment at the dealer for $6500 with 3000 miles on them; No BS. You're the buyer and you've got the upperhand. Make some low offers...see where they get you. Worst case, you can always come back higher for something you really "love". Look at KBB and go a little lower...that's where I'd start.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KBB says $4440 dealer retail price.In My opinion if you already have a truck payment,are going to build in the spring and work has slowed down quite a bit you may want to rethink the whole idea.Work could slow down or cease.None of my business what you do but I wouldn't give him more than $3000.He is probably in a tight spot himself right now.That is why he is selling during winter until waiting to get more come spring.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by diablo666
KBB says $4440 dealer retail price.In My opinion if you already have a truck payment,are going to build in the spring and work has slowed down quite a bit you may want to rethink the whole idea.Work could slow down or cease.None of my business what you do but I wouldn't give him more than $3000.He is probably in a tight spot himself right now.That is why he is selling during winter until waiting to get more come spring.
KBB may say that for an 883 in the stock configuration, which is fine but very unrealistic. NADA, which to me is a far better resource lists the stock 883 at average retail for $3,600 however, this isn't a stock 883. Rather, it's a 1200 and the stock 1200 lists average retail for $5.600. So, while not addressing what has been done to the bike and keeping in mind that the overall condition of the bike means everything, the fair price for the bike could be anywhere from $3,600 to $5,600. You may not give him more than 3,000 but somebody will for sure.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
KBB may say that for an 883 in the stock configuration, which is fine but very unrealistic. NADA, which to me is a far better resource lists the stock 883 at average retail for $3,600 however, this isn't a stock 883. Rather, it's a 1200 and the stock 1200 lists average retail for $5.600. So, while not addressing what has been done to the bike and keeping in mind that the overall condition of the bike means everything, the fair price for the bike could be anywhere from $3,600 to $5,600. You may not give him more than 3,000 but somebody will for sure.
While you do have a valid point, the fact of the matter is that the title and the bike both have numbers on them, and those numbers say the bike is an 883, regardless of what has been done to the motor, that's what you have to go by, the bank does. As for the $5500 i'd give, that was because of the extras he was getting too, I have no idea what the market will hold in his neck of the woods, Pa I think it was, here in Va, I wouldn't go more than $4500 for everything, and I'd try to get a tank of gass to boot.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Biptastic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer told me get the KBB of an 883 and a 1200 same year. Split the difference thats how much a coverted sporty is worth. So if the 883 listed at $3600. An the 1200 listed at $5600. Its worth around $4600+/-. offer $4000 an see what he says. I know there willing to really wiggle the price right know!!! If the salesman wont do it. Get the sales manager!! Gilmore where you from i seen your from North East PA. Im from the lancaster area.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 2,569 Posts

You might want to look outside the northeast and take a ride to find something more realisticly priced.Around the southeast there are some nice bikes to be had lately.There's enough members on here to help out looking at them for ya.I'm back and forth between North Georgia and Florida all the time.Be happy to help ya if you find something.Craig's list has been loaded lately and people are hurting.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

While you do have a valid point, the fact of the matter is that the title and the bike both have numbers on them, and those numbers say the bike is an 883, regardless of what has been done to the motor, that's what you have to go by, the bank does. As for the $5500 i'd give, that was because of the extras he was getting too, I have no idea what the market will hold in his neck of the woods, Pa I think it was, here in Va, I wouldn't go more than $4500 for everything, and I'd try to get a tank of gass to boot.
That depends on the lender and how the package is put together if you are financing. Bikes aren't like cars where you can go down a list of accessories and start adding or subtracting all the items that may or may not be available and some bikes don't even have an odometer/speedometer nor do they need to. The KBB or NADA suggested price is simply that, suggested and adjustments can be made. Biptastic has the right idea in that an average of the before and after can easily be used as the reference regardless of what the VIN, engine numbers or registration states.

Quick Reply: How much do you think it's worth??