Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nighster fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Chop05c
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nighster fender

Want to change the rear fender on my custom and heard the Nighster is a direct replacement. Anyone have the cost of it or anything available aftermarket?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably more than what you want to pay

Most everyone mods there existing fender since it would have to be painted anyway or buy a blank. Your bike is an 05 the nightster fender since its for an FI model will also have a huge hole in it under the seat (4 x 6"?) for the ICM so running that solo you got will expose that monsterous hole and you'd have to get it welded up anyway so your back to either modding yours or buying a blank.

If I do mine I'm just having the taillight hole welded up or buying a blank and selling my stock one. You can get a variety of rear fenders that fit and are undrilled for between $75 to over $200. Just needs drilling to fit and painting.

Some sources are the Drag or Custom Chrome catalog and then ordering from a place like www.discountcycleparts.com or there's Jireh Cycles, http://www.milwaukeeiron.com/onlinecatalog.asp, http://www.russwernimont.com/, www.ledsledcustoms.com , etc.

Last edited by capttawes; 01-08-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Candy Red
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J&P has the blank for $130

You will need the wiring kit & red lens if you want to use your turn sigs as brake lights also. and you wont have anywhere to hang your plate.

Im going to switch to the nightster fender when I collect the parts.
Im looking to buy nightster take offs. Gonna chrome the fender,so dont need a new one.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Chop05c
Advanced

thanks guys, I'll do a little more research from here

Old 01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Maybe take small steps till ya get to where you want to be. Pick up the HD Run, turn, brake controller first for $50 (I still need that), then pick out a side mount plate setup and some light bolts to illuminate the tag (I have a side mount from Road 6 customs on ebay for $20 or so and its held up great for over a year and more than 10k miles). Other reasonable choices are those by www.flyrightchoppers.com, http://www.baasmetalcraft.com, http://www.bareknucklechoppers.com/taglights.html
Then keep shopping for the fender you want. I've found that its really cheaper getting a fender blank than paying someone the labor to weld up the the taillight hole and grinding it smooth (thats unless you chop it that high up then its not needed) and the tag mount holes. In the end you make out good when selling your stock fender making the cost of the new fender cheaper or even a wash vs. what the welding cost would be. Then all ya need is paint and for me I'll just ride around with it primered till I get all the tins painted.

Ya got a good looking bike too by the way.

Last edited by capttawes; 01-08-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Chop05c
Advanced

Thanks capttawes. I cut the front fender down myself and just touched up the edges, so I might attempt to do the rear. The wiring I think I could handle, then it's just deciding what side plate mount to use. I'll check out those you suggested.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Chop05c
Advanced

The run, turn and brake controller you're talking about, is that the circuit board that's in the tailight?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chop05c
The run, turn and brake controller you're talking about, is that the circuit board that's in the tailight?
The controller is a small seperate module available from HD, Badlands, Kuryalyn etc. HD's runs about $50. To eliminate the rear brake light altogether I'm pretty sure you just wire the signals into the module then to the blinkers and eliminate the wires from the ICM to the old tail light altogether.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Chop05c
Advanced

Well I don't want to eliminate the tailight, so using the controller I should be able to plug in the signals and the run/brake light to it when I move it to the side mount. Probably the toughest part is finding a safe spot under the fender to tie wrap the controller, I imagine. I plan on chopping the fender up past the plate bracket mounting holes, similar to the nightster. Thanks for the speedway motors and road 6 suggestions, the model a light works well with the bracket....and short money....the controller will probably run the most!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Chop05c
Advanced

Capttawes, do you happen to have the part # for the HD controller?

Quick Reply: Nighster fender