Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Nightster...Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 AM
scotty-j
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

way too much coin for that, the paint is pimp no doubt, but holly hell, they have labor $'s all over that with the upgrades they did.

if you truly want it, tell them leave the paint and return it to stock otherwise and that the only thing to be paid for is the bike, tins and tins labor...dealers are hungry and if he wont deal just remind him there are other dealers that can put tins on and sell you a bike as well as him ! ! !

the grips, pegs, covers and such is fun and free to put on by you....besides the metal look on that bike screams for a full set of black/billet battissinni grips/pegs/levers

these-----v

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 AM
hincheec
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's been said a hundred times here, but I guess I will add that 15K is too much for a sporty. You could never recover the costs they are adding on when you go to sell it.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 AM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

15 k for a Nightster is crazy when that is 300 less than a Fat Bob with the Demin BLack paint.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
super-k
Intermediate

Chuck, if you are anywhere near South Carolina I'll gladly show you my '09 Black Nightster with 1400 miles on it...

I'm planning on doing the "ride-free" trade-in and getting a Heritage Softail. I already have the skull theme as well as the Stage 1 /VandH side shots on it..

I won't recoup the upgrades on the trade in, but I'd sell it independently for around the swap value if you're interested...

You would be a paint job away from what you described for a lot less plus the performance upgrade is already done...

Either way, good luck, but the price you mentioned is a lot for a Nightster, especially now...

Old 01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
ghostflames
Advanced

That price seems ridiculous. Just a few months ago I paid $10,580. That included:

Orange and Black Nightster
Pingle Electric Shifter Installed ($899 MSRP)
Forward Controls Installed

So doing the math...I paid around $9000 for the bike if you take off parts and labor. The custome paint kit is $1999 from harley I believe...and the skull pegs and what not are only about $200 more. I would say no more that $12,500...and thats pushing it in my opinion. You can get a black one and get a true custom paint job and still come in under $14k

Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd say just like everyone else. If you want a paint job similar to whats harley offers from the factory it isn't even the process that is reffered to as "turning". I've looked at them close up and you can get the same effect with a grinder, and a small wire wheel. Then re shoot the clear coat over it. It would save you a lot of money, and with some patience it would look just as good if not better.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped down to a local dealer a few weeks ago to talk about trading in my 2008 Sportster for a DYNA ... after the initial rejected offer they have called me back 5 times to try and make a DEAL .... DO not except any offers you don't like...THEY ARE HUNGRY to sell bikes ..make them a REASONABLE offer you can live with

Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Chuck77
Stage IV

Yeah, understood. This would be my first Harley...And I am always skeptical of quotes from dealers. Their quote also includes the MSRP of a two-tone paint job. That's stupid to me when the vivid black scheme is $500 less. When I do my calculations I come up with : $12599.00 (Rounded Up). This dealer tossed in everything under the sun as fees and other BS costs of course. Just doing their job. But I think I will buy a stock model and just do some of the upgrades myself and it will look just as cool. But I really like that tank. Maybe they'd go for $12k....

Old 01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
super-k
Intermediate

Remember this too, Chuck....

A lot of bikes like mine ('09's/08's low miles) will be showing up on showroom floors because of the promotion...

That should really drive the prices down along with the ones already for sale in the private sector...

You should be able to get what you want for much less than what your talking about...

Good luck....

Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck77
So I've been eyeballin' this '09 Nightster at the dealership in town...Right now they want $14805.75 (this includes $799.00 for freight and $658.00 for labor).

They wrote this to me in an email describing their in-house mods:

"Hi Chuck, These were the best pictures I could get with our
camera. Hope they help you out. This is a custom paint from HD, and we also added the forward controls with the skull theme, skull theme grips, derby and timer cover, skull gas cap, and foot pegs."

I really don't want to pay the freight and labor. I was thinking $13k-ish in cash. Is that reasonable?

Of course, if that doesn't fly I will buy a stock model. But I really like this one.
Nope. Puttin your own farkles on the bike is half hte fun, why let someone else do it for you?

Quick Reply: 2009 Nightster...Is it worth it?