Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Relocation Instructions (My Version)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 PM
sftosendai
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where'd you get that handlebar clamp, Slackster?

Hey, I have to thank you for the detailed instructions on the Speedo relocation. It's great with all the step by step pics. I'm about to do it on my Iron, and put the autometer clamp right where you have it, at the gas tank mount. Perfect! So I need to get a black clamp, sort of like the one integrated into my indicator lamp/speedo bracket clamp, and I've been lookin for something exactly like you have. Are you willing to give up the info to a guy over in Japan looking for a clamp? Let me know, as that's the one I've been looking for to no avail. Again, thank and have a good one.

CBB
Sendai, Japan

Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Steve0
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a used one if your looking

Old 07-26-2009, 06:46 PM
sftosendai
Advanced

Slackster, one more question if you don't mind. When you did your mirror flip, did you have to swivel your turn signals in quite a bit to get clearance for the mirror post?
My bike has the same ball/joint type of turn signal mounts, but was wondering if you can swivel them enough to get clearance for the mirror flip without having to go the turn signal relocation route? Thanks to GPS to for his original speedo relocation walk-thru. All very helpful! To all, a very nice week!
-CBB

Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
sftosendai
Advanced

steve0, you have a used black handlebar clamp like the one's Slackter and GPS used for their speedo relocations? If so, any way you could post a picture? As well, how muchfor the clamp and a cheap ship to Sendai, Japan, zip code 982-0841? Maybe if you throw it in a padded envelope with some bubble wrap, you could ship it air insured for pretty cheap. I got PayPal, too. Thanks a lot, CBB

Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
sftosendai
Advanced

So SteeveO, what's the word with that clamp? I suppose that when I said, "ship to Japan" the deal fell through. anyway, let me know, as I'm still looking for a good clamp.
And used might just save me some money. Like I said, I got PayPal, so no problems getting a payment to you.
-CBB

Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Steve0
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sftosendai
So SteeveO, what's the word with that clamp? I suppose that when I said, "ship to Japan" the deal fell through. anyway, let me know, as I'm still looking for a good clamp.
And used might just save me some money. Like I said, I got PayPal, so no problems getting a payment to you.
-CBB
No CBB, I've been busy....anyways, I'll check shipping rates for you via air. Whatever they charge is what I'll charge you plus 60 bucks for the clamp.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:51 AM
sftosendai
Advanced
Default What kind of clamp do you have, Steve0?

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry to bother you when you're busy.
I'm sort of curious as to what kind of clamp you have....since you're asking $60 for a used clamp, I'm sort of assuming that it has the spot for the indicator lights/dummy lights built into it? Or is it just a regular clamp that I'll have to "rig" my dummy lights too using some double sided tape?
The reason I ask is I can get a regular ole OEM black handlebar clamp over here for about 3800yen/$37, so if it is just a plain ole clamp, then I'll save a bit buying over here, but if it's a cool black clamp that sort of matches the Iron look and will take the indicator strip as well, then I'M interested. Like I said, if you can e-mail me some pictures, please do. I can get a lot better idea of what it is and maybe save the both of us some time. I would hate to waste your time anyway. Thanks a lot,
CBB

Old 07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
jrmotorsports55
Advanced

That is badass!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM
baravettski
Novice

What's up everyone? So I've been lurking this thread for a while and decided to try and do it on the cheap...well, cheaper than the 12 bucks for the Auto Meter clamp. Ha.

So I found a stock black handlebar clamp on ebay, like 25 bucks and did the molding tape for the LED's. Used a bit of electrical tape in the front to cover the white. On the side mount clamp, I found a plumbing 3" quick cap, basically a rubber pipe cap with a hose clamp at the hardware store for 5 bucks. Cut the top off with a utility knife and it fits perfect around the speedo and has the rubber seal. I used a bit of the aluminum stock I had left from my coil bracket, bent it to fit and drilled one hole and mounted it to the tank lift bracket and it works pretty damn well. Here's a couple pics. I figure down the road I can always get the Auto Meter set up, I just wanted to see if it was doable.

Name:  IMG_2911.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  67.4 KB
Name:  IMG_2912.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  58.5 KB

Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Xenomorph
Tourer

These all look like great solutions for the speedo! I do have a question though... what exact part of the frame are you all mounting the speedo too??? If you could post a picture of the frame without a speedo and circle the mounting holes I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Speedo Relocation Instructions (My Version)