Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Relocation Instructions (My Version)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the pics to go along with the instructions. I didn't have any pics when I did my relocation.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
Thanks for the pics to go along with the instructions. I didn't have any pics when I did my relocation.
Well i wasn't as quick as you were since I had to make 2 trips to autozone, 1 trip to panda express (Chinese food), and the time it took messing with the camera to take the pics.

I spent 3 hours today trying to fab up a little cover for the led and the wires, Unfortunately it was time well wasted.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw someone on here with a cover that bolted on where the eyebrow is supposed to go and it covered the wires in front of the top tripple tree. looked pretty good.

Did you have to raise your tank to make room for those wires so you could get rid of the plastic wiring harness cover?

And what bars are those? What length? Can I see a close-up of your Ignition switch relocation? I already relocated my coil in the same place.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 01-12-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GazzaTheBastard
I saw an incredible story today on relocating the spedo drive (mechanical) to the rear wheel...

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=47754

Gazza

Now that's some cool ****!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:13 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6o66er
Now that's some cool ****!

That is indeed some badass skills there.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I think I have an answer to the led light delima. Now I didnt take any pics because mine looked like ****. But I can redo it, first time is always practice right? Ok here is what i did. Go to any hobby shop and buy a piece of sheet plastic. ($7.00) This is big enough to make 20 of these. then to the convience store and get a 12 pack of beer! go home and drink a beer while thinking about it. I measured my top piece with the holes and cut a pieceas wide as the top piece (cover) the whole length of the plastic, (to cut it just score it with a razor knife and break it) Then I cut it to length. Took a black marker and covered the mounting holes with marker then quickly centered it on the plastic strip to mark my holes.(this leaves black marks on the white plastic where you want the holes) I then carefuly drilled 2 holes. Drink a beer. Now the plastic strip slips over the mounting holes. I then glued another piece exactly the same size to this plastic strip. (super glue works great if you scuff it with sandpaper) Drink a beer while it dries.Then drill the holes again in the second piece. Put them on the cover again and mark the alignment holes the same way.(Black marker) Drill them. Now it should slide down all of the way. and do not forget the little nub sticking out of the light set itself. Here is where it gets hard.Drink 2 beers. These holes do not have to be perfect. (nobody will see them) looking down through the cover plate, lay the cover on the 2 plastic pieces and use a center punch to mark the center of the led holes. (be careful while drilling these if you do not hold both sides you will break it) Use Patience! Drilling too fast will melt the plastic or break it. I used a clamp on one side and put it in a vise to hold the other side while i drilled in between. now if it fits good you did better then I did. Drink beer for doing so good! Now take the whole thing, using the top plate as a guide carefuly grind down the sides to match the cover. (grinder, dremmel, whatever you have laying around) then I used body putty (filler putty) on the sides to cover the line between the 2 plates I made. Drink beer while it dries(15 minutes) Sand it down and spray painted it black.slide it on the leds and replaced the top cover and it fills the gep between them both. Now if you want, you can use putty to fill the gap between the cover and plates to give it a smooth finish, but this will require painting both the plate and the led holder. Hope this helps. I have no patience so I have to re-drill my holes to make it look better.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doupt Fishboy has the best looking! even the ones he sold do not match to the one he has. That looks damn good fishboy!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
fishboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight2005
No doupt Fishboy has the best looking! even the ones he sold do not match to the one he has. That looks damn good fishboy!
Thanks! Cheap mods are great though. Post up some pics when you get done. I love seeing creativity. I think it's great when people get creative. You are right about the beer though... it's liquid creativity for me. Cheers brother!

fish

Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey! I'm on a budget...I don't have the cash to build a great looking nightster like you guys. That's why i'm talking about back yard engineering.
Anyways, the clamp is freakin great but it still wouldn't solve my wiring problem.
Midnight2005 is on to something great here. I was drinking beer while making the cover but i was to distracted, and limited on time, as well as someone trying to impose their ideas on the mod and it was driving me nuts.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
fishboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slackster
Hey! I'm on a budget...I don't have the cash to build a great looking nightster like you guys.
What are you talking about man??? You nighty is bad *** man!

Quick Reply: Speedo Relocation Instructions (My Version)