Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Has anyone done this?

I've seen some videos on you tube of people wrapping their sideshots/shortshots with exhaust wrap over top of the heat shields. I really like the look and was wondering if anyone here has done it? Any suggestions or tips would be fantastic.

Happy New Year everyone!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so you want to put heat tape over a heat shield?

look man, sell your pipes and go to a mom & pop muffler shop and have them make you something custom. then wrap those. you'll end up throwing away a lot less money.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Certainteed
so you want to put heat tape over a heat shield?

look man, sell your pipes and go to a mom & pop muffler shop and have them make you something custom. then wrap those. you'll end up throwing away a lot less money.
it's not the money dude, i just like the look, that's all. i love the pipes (so i don't want new ones) i'm just torn between powder/ceramic coating them or wrapping a portion of them. TORN.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

looks good as is

Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
...it's not the money dude, i just like the look, that's all. i love the pipes (so i don't want new ones) i'm just torn between powder/ceramic coating them or wrapping a portion of them. TORN.
I am confused - I thought the side shots were matte black and assumed ceramic or powder finished??? What are the advantages of refinishing? I agree, I like heat wrap a lot and have contemplated removing my stock (shiny) heat shields, wrapping the pipes and either adding black slip-ons or powder/ceramic coating or high temp heat painting the stock mufflers black, but would LOVE to have already black sideshots!

Do you have a pics? Might think differently if I see it (Iam envious the $$ isn't a consideration )

Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 PM
GazzaTheBastard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you wrap over a shield... that's seems kinda dumb?

I wrap my pipes, but personally I think it's kinda dumb for someone to go out and spend big money on
pipes then wrap them. The only reason (imho) for wrapping pipes is because it's a poor mans chrome
for dressing up home built pipes. Anything else is just pretending to look like you built your pipes
yourself.

Take Certainteed's advice and sell your pipes for near what you paid and then find a buddy to make
you a similar set to cover. It shouldn't cost more than $50 to make a set that have the same lines.
If you wrap those store bought pipes, the wrap will ruin the finish after a summer, then you'll have
$50 pipes that you spent a lot of money for.

Gazza

Last edited by GazzaTheBastard; 01-02-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:02 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Talking

Now Now Gazza. I can almost see you banging on the keys typing your reply. I simply liked the way it looked with the black heat shield showing underneath the wrap that's all and thought I'd ask for some opinions and you obviously have one. The "reason" for wrapping pipes by the way is to reduce heat on your friggin leg the last time I checked. Yeah it gives the bike an old school look but it's also functional.

Excuse me while I get back to pretending. Thanks dude.

Originally Posted by GazzaTheBastard
Why would you wrap over a shield... that's seems kinda dumb?

I wrap my pipes, but personally I think it's kinda dumb for someone to go out and spend big money on
pipes then wrap them. The only reason (imho) for wrapping pipes is because it's a poor mans chrome
for dressing up home built pipes. Anything else is just pretending to look like you built your pipes
yourself.

Take Certainteed's advice and sell your pipes for near what you paid and then find a buddy to make
you a similar set to cover. It shouldn't cost more than $50 to make a set that have the same lines.
If you wrap those store bought pipes, the wrap will ruin the finish after a summer, then you'll have
$50 pipes that you spent a lot of money for.

Gazza

Old 01-03-2009, 06:31 PM
GazzaTheBastard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "reason" for wrapping pipes by the way is to reduce heat on your friggin
leg the last time I checked.
That's the reason for putting heat shields on the pipes, which you said
you already have.... so are your legs really that sensitive?

Gazza

Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

ok shoot me for liking the way it looked.

Originally Posted by GazzaTheBastard
That's the reason for putting heat shields on the pipes, which you said
you already have.... so are your legs really that sensitive?

Gazza

Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 AM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Now Now Gazza. I can almost see you banging on the keys typing your reply. I simply liked the way it looked with the black heat shield showing underneath the wrap that's all and thought I'd ask for some opinions and you obviously have one. The "reason" for wrapping pipes by the way is to reduce heat on your friggin leg the last time I checked. Yeah it gives the bike an old school look but it's also functional.

Excuse me while I get back to pretending. Thanks dude.
Black heat shield showing under the wrap? Not knocking your idea mano, but that'll play hell with your motor unless you get a nice, even wrap on the both pipes, at which point you won't see anything other than just the wrap.

I don't think people understand what that wrap can do to a motor. Just sayin. These guys do have a point in that if you're going to wrap pipes, sell the ones you have (since I KNOW they're not cheap) and wrap up some home made ones.

But hey, it's your bike, more power to ya whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done this?