Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:05 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Sorry again but not true. Flooding of the carb intake with fuel as you described, can only happen if you have a stuck carb float which leaves the float needle unseated. In your case, the petcock was not the primary cause of the leak. The leak was caused by a stuck float. The vacuum control feature on the petcock is designed to prevent leaks in the event a stuck float situation occurs. Yes, your petcock failed as a safety device, which is what it's purpose is in this case, but if the float had not been hung open, no leak or flooding would have occurred. There is absolutely no requirement to even have a petcock installed between the fuel tank and the carb.

I really don't mean to be rude, but you obviously have no clue how a carb works and misinformation is worse than no information.

exactly true charley, its stupid to run without a petcock on a carbureated engine, but there is absolutely NO way it would richen the mixture.

the only possibilities of that is a stuck float or bad float valve seat. or broken fuel pump. (my carb'ed ducati has a electric fuel pump in the tank, so yes carbs can use them too)

Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's Fair
no problems here
all Ride Safe

Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

You got a problem with 30 lbs difference in compression

Old 12-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, I ride an 06' 1200C.I haven't checked the vaccum hose yet. Today I put the old jets back in the carb. The first compression test was cold. So today I ran another check and both cylinders were right at 140 psi. I also checked the coil and it checked out in good shape. Still running crappy. The plugs are wet with gas. I can put a new set in and the immediatley they turn black. Do you think some of the gas may have washed past the rings and got intoi the oil? Is that possible?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Possibly bad diaphram in petcock and vacuum is sucking gas out of there through the vacuum line? I had that problem with my 02. replaced petcock and everything is good now. I would do a sniff test and check that vacuum line.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

I keep my bike in the shop at work. I dont have a garage to wrench out of so I leave it there in the winter time. First thing in the morning I'm going to check the petcock and the vaccum hose. Should there be any visible evidence? Whats the best way to tell?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

If I replace the petcock should I just go with a stock replacement?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 PM
alank
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best way to check the vacuum is to put a vacuum pump on the carb. end of the line and pump a vacuum. If there's a leak in the petcock, gas will show up in the vacuum line to the pump shortly.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

10-4
only my .01

Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 AM
Sundog
Cruiser

Rob

Work it out. Pull both your petcock hoses and wait a bit to see if gas leaks. Put the vacuum hose back and apply a vacuum (syringe or your lips) and gas should flow.

Attach a piece of clear hose to the bottom drain of your carb open open the drain screw. This should drain the bowl of your carb. Hold the end of the hose high and send in the gas. The gas should level off in the tube approximately at the seam of the bowl and stay there. If it keeps going, the poppet valve is not seatng.

What number jets came and went and did you remember to tighten them?

Watch for a vacuum leak at the intake manifiold. Can you budge the manifold with the carb attached?

Where is your low-speed (EPA) screw set at?

A shop manual saves way more than it costs.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Spark plug trouble.