Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance&Hines straightshot baffles?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vance&Hines straightshot baffles?????

I have V&H straightshots.There are baffles in them.I can see them,but I have no idea what kind they are.I can stick a broom handle all the way to the bend in the pipes.But there are fins at the tip of the pipes.I was just wondering what they were,and how many different kinds V&H makes?????Thanks for any help

2003 883r

Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 PM
phatman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They only make the regular (which I'm pretty sure you have) and quiet baffles. A lot of people say the quiet baffles actually make it sound deeper and only slightly quieter at idle / low throttle.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
vegasrock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious, but why are you putting broom sticks in your pipes?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up What he said

Originally Posted by phatman
They only make the regular (which I'm pretty sure you have) and quiet baffles. A lot of people say the quiet baffles actually make it sound deeper and only slightly quieter at idle / low throttle.
Got the Quiet Baffles for mine and took them right back out ... The Regular baffles are fine without being overly loud...

Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 PM
scotty-j
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ya, as far as i know there are only two baffles offered, you might have to pull one out and see if there are any part #'s stamped into them ?

the quiet baffle # is 21869, if the # is different may have to call V&H to see if it is the std baffle.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

The normal straight baffles are what you've got. I pulled mine out after 2 days and replaced them with the quiet baffles. You can't stick a broom all the way through the quiet baffles, but you can the normal ones. The qb's make the sound deeper and throatier. I like it much better. It took away the tinny, whinny sound and made it much nicer on the long rides. Not sure it did anything more for power, but it definetly didn't take away any power. I'd recommend getting the qb's, but that's just my $.02.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasrock
just curious, but why are you putting broom sticks in your pipes?
I did that to see if there was any restriction in the way.But there isn't

Old 01-10-2009, 07:46 PM
BobbyH
Stage I

can someone tell me how difficult it will be to install the quiet baffles? I'm close to purchasing a 2007 1200 Custom with the straight shot V&H's. I don't want it to be too loud.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

It's easy. It was the first mod I did on my own with my bike. There's one screw holding in the standard baffles. Getting to that screw is the hardest part. But you should have it done in less than an hour if you've never worked on a bike before. 20 minutes if you have.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So I've been researching baffles and found this old post...

Ultimately I want to change the whole pipe setup as some have suggested but for the time being I've been looking into the baffle options for my pipes. I have the V&H Straightshots and because the bike is a 2003 the standard baffles that come with it are 2.25 inches in diameter according to V&H. Well, I was thinking it might be a good idea to try the new quiet baffles so I called V&H. Found out they don't make the quiet baffles to fit the larger pipe. Seems the newer pipes (2004+) are smaller? Like a quarter inch smaller. So anyway, the question is has anyone found a way to make the quiet baffles (2 in.) work in the older and larger pipe and be reasonably secure? I'd really appreciate any responses, positive or negative. Thanks everyone. Steve

Quick Reply: Vance&Hines straightshot baffles?????