Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/E vs. S/E 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
HaggisMan14
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S/E vs. S/E 2

Question for all of you. I notice that when you speak of S/E pipes you're usually talking about S/E 2's. What's the difference. I have S/E pipes, but they don't have a slash cut on the end...they look similar to the stock pipes, but have screaming eagle stamped on them. Is the only difference w/the S/E 2 the fact that the end of the pipe doesn't tapper in again? Are S/E 2's louder than the pipes i currently have?

Here's what my pipes look like...sorry for the angle...(i can finally say she's MY bike :-)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51427631YnbUMC

Old 04-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Dan B
Cruiser
Default RE: S/E vs. S/E 2

And what about S/E 2+?

(Not trying to hijack your thread, Haggisman, wondering just about the same as you).

//Dan B

Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
HaggisMan14
Cruiser

I was also on Surdykes website, and they've got the SE2's under "race"...does this mean they won't pass inspection?

sorry for the million questions....starting to get my feet wet...

Marc

Old 04-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Mute
Novice

SE 2' are supposed to be for off road use only. Course they arent but if you live in a state with inspection, keep the originals around and let it run like crap long enough to pass.. but I like the noise so... lol

Old 04-12-2006, 07:58 PM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

I could be wrong, but here's what I think:

-original Screamin' Eagle (plain "SE") from back when Cycle Shack made them for H-D
-Screamin' Eagle II ("SEII") after H-D stopped using Cycle Shack
both of the above came in slash cut (aka slash down), baloney cut (aka turnout), and tapered (like stock) versions...
both of the above had "Screamin' Eagle" stamped on them...
and both of the above were 50-state legal...

-Screamin Eagle Pro II+ ("SEII+") is the "race" version (not 50-state legal) that also uses end caps bought separately

Note now that H-D is doesn't offer "Screamin' Eagle" labeled mufflers for Sportys any more - they're rebadged with a "Harley-Davidson" script stamped on them and are 49-state legal (not 50-state any more - due to CA).

I may be fuzzy on the details since I'm doing this totally from memory - but that's the gist of things as I know it...

Old 04-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Iron Legend
Cruiser

Ya, I would like more info on this as well....will be watching this thread.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:43 PM
burnie
Tourer

I had se1s on my 99 sporty and I have se2s on my 05 custom. The big difference is in the baffles. se1s are not removable and a little more restrictive. OR at least from my perspective. I like the se2s much better. Different year modles had different cuts avalible. You use to be able to get blongna cut, slash cut, side cut and even tappered. I believe now the Se2s only offer slash and side. Im not for sure.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain

I agree with burnie. I have SEIIs and like the sound a lot more. For me, they seem to be the loudest pipes I can tolerate long-distance without getting a “buzz” in my ears. I thought, and I may be wrong here, that the SEIIs may not be legal in all states. You might want to make sure b4 you buy them....

Old 04-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

SE II's are "Race Only" (not for the street per HD). Technically, they are illegal in ALL states because they violate the Federal EPA's tampering law... and by the way, they are starting to clamp down. My buddy got a ticket for his baloney-cut Cycle Shacks. It was not written up for excessive noise, but "tampering". He HAS to appear in court in May. Should be interesting to see what happens. A single violation of the EPA's "tampering" rule can be up to a $10,000.00 fine - and each day the violation exists is a seperate occurence (and possible fine)! He is currently running on my stock pipes...

Thumper26

Old 04-14-2006, 08:00 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Probably 90% of the vehicles in the state I live are in violation of some type of Federal/EPA regulation or law.

This includes motorcycles, cars, and trucks.

Many folks around here have highly modified vehicles, mainly because the state has no emission, smog, equipment, or any other type of vehicle inspection.

Each year you mail in your registration fee's with proof of insurance, and your annual tag sticker is sent out in the mail.

Quick Reply: S/E vs. S/E 2