Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulled my battery out...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:48 PM
JamesDean
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulled my battery out...

I pulled my battery out and hooked it up to a tender...wasnt alot of room to get the neg. cable unscrewed...I kno its gonna b diff. to get it back in there...do u guys have any tips for removing and installing the battery...I would really appreciate any and all advice...thanks guys

Old 12-25-2008, 07:55 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 1,302 Posts

You could have hooked the pig tail up without removing the battery if you hook the neg. eye on the pigtail to the neg post on the engine where the neg battery cable attaches. That's what I did anyway then tuck the pigtail in behind the cover. When you put it back you can remove the neg cable from the engine, hook it to the battery while it's out then feed the cable back where it came from

Last edited by DPete; 12-25-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:55 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a bitch to get the neg cable off and the battery out. Lots of bad words help me. but then again, why would you remove it to hook up a tender? I just undid the screws, added the tender harness and retightened the screws, ran the connector to a convienient spot and hooked it up Short of that my tender came with clamps also. No big deal

Old 12-25-2008, 08:27 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

I removed the seat to help work the battery out. Once you have the battery out, be sure that you have the pigtail cable on the negative post secured and not sticking out past the side of the battery. There is not a lot of room to begin with and it won't fit if you do.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

You have a Nightster, right? Surprised the dealer didn't install the battery charging harness. A $7.95 part that makes hooking up a tender or charger with an SAE connector a snap. No need to remove the battery.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I had the pigtail for the Junior in place I would simply remove the side cover and hook the positive up to the terminal end of the charger and the negative end to the post the battery ground is hooked to at the drive end of the starter. That works great and you don't need to pull the battery.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:00 AM
JamesDean
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SHTFIT
You have a Nightster, right? Surprised the dealer didn't install the battery charging harness. A $7.95 part that makes hooking up a tender or charger with an SAE connector a snap. No need to remove the battery.

now that deff. looks like its worth it...I didnt even kno they had something like that...did u get that from the HD dealership?...cuz I'll pick one up today

Old 12-26-2008, 01:14 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

Dealership should have them. My bike came with it already installed.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:57 PM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Take a trip to the local auto parts or RV store and save a few bucks. SAE connectors are common.

Try and get one with a fuse holder too. A fuse holder is optional, but it is nice to have if there is ever a problem with the tender (or heated gloves, or GPS, or whatever else you hook up).

Old 12-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Walkentall
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JamesDean
I pulled my battery out and hooked it up to a tender...wasnt alot of room to get the neg. cable unscrewed...I kno its gonna b diff. to get it back in there...do u guys have any tips for removing and installing the battery...I would really appreciate any and all advice...thanks guys
I'm with vet767 the bad words helped a bit but seriously is there any easy way to get that negative wire off/hooked back to the screw post?

Quick Reply: pulled my battery out...