Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think about the XR1200?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Fred00
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephGarcia
that article says the XR makes LESS torque than a stock 1200C

that is just not fair to ANYONE who buys an XR for the performance.......
Why? With 90hp it will still pull away from a stock 1200C easily. Don't judge performance by looking at torque numbers. The V-Rod makes less torque than a big-twin, but the BT will just be a small dot in the mirror in any kind of race against a V-Rod.

Last edited by Fred00; 12-10-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM
TheLaw
Tourer

I respect it for what it is....and I respect Harley for making it.

Would I buy one.....no.....the looks aren't my bag baby.

The LAW

Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I wasn't sure at first.. but the black version is growing on me.. I'll admit shaky has a point.. not many people, at least not the folks I ride with.. ride Harley's because of technology or performance.. and yep, there are metrics that will do everything this bike does.. but... they aren't Harley's.. this is, and right or wrong, that makes a difference.. Not sure I'm gonna go order one yet.. but as a second bike.. I'm very tempted..

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM
beardo
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

why should I buy a metric, when I can (and did) buy an XR. I can have my cake AND eat it too. If I pitted myself one on XR and a naked metric, I would probably beat the metric. The XR makes it too fun, confident and easy...

Old 12-10-2008, 05:45 PM
bandit31
Cruiser

It looks cool. I would have to ride it to see if I would ever own one.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to like it, I just can't stomach the plasticy sport bike esque *** end.I wonder if you could put a nightster style seat and fender on there?Perhaps a real flat track style fender and side mounted tail light?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
I think it's butt ugly. It might handle and brake better than other Harleys, but if you wanted something like that, why not buy a metric. It will do those things better and cost less. I say buy a harley for what a harley is and what it does better.
Personally, I don't think it looks that bad. No, it's not a "traditional" Harley style but so what. Why should the MOCO have to make everything it sells look like everything else it has ever sold year after year after year, adnausium? Don't get me wrong, I happen to like Harley styling and I'm looking forward to puchasing an Ultra Classic after the first of the year but I also applaud them for stepping out of the box for a change.

As to the metric comparison, maybe the XR won't stay with most metric sport bikes in a straight line run but I'd bet it'll give them a run for the money when the road gets twisty. I've seen experienced riders on GL1500 Goldwings embarrasse sport bike riders that "thought" they were tough sh**! I can imagine how badly someone like that would walk away from those guys while on a bike with the XR's capabilities. For many metric riders, it's bad enough being embarrassed by a Goldwing, but to be embarrassed by a relatively small displacement Harley??

The thing of it is, from what I've read anyway, the bike was made because the Europeans have been crying for it, or something like it, for quite awhile now. When it was announced, many of us on this side of the pond started crying foul to the point that the MOCO decided to introduce it over here. The Europeans placed over 600 pre-orders before the bikes scheduled delivery date and it remains to be seen if those folks over here who did all the crying will step up to the plate and place their orders. I hate to say it but I'll be surprised if they do. I hope I'm wrong and I hope the MOCO doesn't wind up regretting the US production run. Time will tell!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:38 PM
furyus
Intermediate

I doubt it will come within a million miles of the 1200C sales figures, but that's fine with me - I love it. And yes, I put my money where my mouth is and placed a pre-order. In fact, I traded a 2008 FXD in to get it.

As for performance, I'll take a few less ft/lbs of torque and a lot more horsepower - twenty percent more at the crank. As previously stated, a stock 1200C won't come close to touching an XR with equal riders - in acceleration or cornering.

As for looks, I think the bike is smokin' hot. No offense, but 1200C's are a dime a dozen, make that a nickel after they've been all Kuryakin-ed out.

The comparison was good to read, but neither bike has chain drive, and the front forks may be telescopic on both bikes, but that would be where the comparison ends. Massive difference on the front end of these bikes.

Mine ships next Monday. Real bummer that winter starts a few days later.

furyus

Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 PM
beardo
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

hey furyus, dont be surprised if you get call on the date it is supose to ship. Mine was supose to ship 12/9, got it.....you guessed it, 12/9. Ive been hearing a lot of stories like that.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it has all that plastic and those light rims, why does it weigh so much??

Quick Reply: What do you think about the XR1200?