Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Ironhead's Progress and Problems....help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008 | 05:00 PM
PGDredd
|
Banned
Default My Ironhead's Progress and Problems....help!

OK, the tins are not done yet of course. For those of you who remember, I took my bike apart and sent everthing out to be custom painted on Sept 14. Still not done, but we all know painters are never done on time.............or even close to it.........

ANYWAY, I've been adding and cleaning other things to what I have left of the bike in my garage. I bought a chrome primary cover and started to put it on last week. I found the chain tensioner could use replacing, so I got a whole new assembly for it.

I also found that the clutch pivot mechanism for the new primary was totally different than what I took off. The old one has a round mount with a notch cut into it,

and the new one has a round mount with 3 holes for bolts cut in.

I went to the dealer, found the updated assembly listed, and figureing this was an updated design from 1983, bought it.

Went to put it on today and it will not work. I would have to replace the clutch basket (not gonna happen) to make it so. This is what's there now:

Now I need the right primary cover. It looks like what I have may actually be for an '85, not the '83.

Anyone have any ideas? I am not sure if I am going to be able to get my $$$ back yet for the chrome one I just bought, so I am not trying to put out another $300 for one that MIGHT be right this time.........someone in here has got to know somthing about the older Sporty's.........?

Here's a pic of the rest of the progress though. Other than the primary, it's about ready to be put back together when the tins come in.........

Last edited by PGDredd; 12-08-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2008 | 12:09 PM
PGDredd
|
Banned

OK, so NOBODY know's any tech info in here? Lol, anyway, I ordered another Chrome cover set and a set of shovelhead chrome rocker-box covers. We'll see how that works when it shows up......

Old 12-08-2008 | 02:25 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member

Gotta say the work you've done so far looks great,look forward to seeing pics of the finished bike.

Old 12-08-2008 | 03:49 PM
PGDredd
|
Banned

So do I! Haha. I found a kit on Chopperscycle.com that includes a chrome cover for my polished primary, chrome iron head rocker box covers, a chrome cam and sprocket cover, and a master cylander cover. The only thing I can use out of it are the primary and rocker box covers, but I ordered it anyway figureing I can sell off the extra parts to somone who needs them.

The chrome rocker box covers aught to look good anyway. If the primary cover is good quality it will get the job done and allow me to keep the parts I already have. I'll just have to sell the chrome cover I already got since the seller is not reponding to my Emails and does not have a phone number I can call......

After I get the primary sorted out and put the rocker box covers on(those should look REALLY good!), it'll just be a matter of waiting for the paint to be done...........