Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with plate folded shut

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Shadow_Demon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going answer no more. Your one of the wizards I was talking about.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Sorry but not so, if the Nightsters in stock at the dealers in Fl. do not meet the new Fl. law, the dealer is responsible for bringing the bike into compliance prior to the sale. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse and there is no "grandfather" clause.
I agree however, does the new code not read, “The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed horizontally to the ground and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up.” I can agree with the horizontal and have no problem with the flip up as is the case with a number of sportbike undertail plates but it makes no direct reference to a folding horizontal plate frame assembly. Much like the ambiguity with many codes it is likely the term "adjusted" will be the catch.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:45 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
I agree however, does the new code not read, “The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed horizontally to the ground and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up.” I can agree with the horizontal and have no problem with the flip up as is the case with a number of sportbike undertail plates but it makes no direct reference to a folding horizontal plate frame assembly. Much like the ambiguity with many codes it is likely the term "adjusted" will be the catch.
I'll will leave arguing the ambiguity to the lawyers but the intent is clear; The plate needs to be clearly visible to a pursuing LEO.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:40 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha...I think we al need to agree to disagree

Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll will leave arguing the ambiguity to the lawyers but the intent is clear; The plate needs to be clearly visible to a pursuing LEO.
Yeah and I can hardly wait to see an attorney take the bail amounts to court as being excessive. Ya gotta love the Bill of Rights.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:38 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
Yeah and I can hardly wait to see an attorney take the bail amounts to court as being excessive. Ya gotta love the Bill of Rights.
Not quite sure why you keep referring "bail" as it is not mentioned in the law. The $ amounts spelled out in the law are prescribed "fines" and in no way have anything to do with "bail".

Not for me to worry about though since the law will impact only to a small select percentage of the population who are both a danger to themselves and the populace as a whole

Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ya'll should know better than to question cHarley, you're gonna loose and look foolish in the process.

It's kinda like trying to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

However, I think I've seen you at least come close to more than 50 mph over the posted speed limit cHarley.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these new laws are targeted at the reckless crotch rocket crowd. Only a moron finds it necessary to pull wheelies and run 50+ over on public streets, and in doing so endanger the life of others.

So getting an m-endorsement has nothing to do with determining skill and everything to do with creating revenue.

If we are to assume anyone doing 50+ over (and/or wheelies) is a threat to others in 100% of circumstances, then we should outlaw any motorcycle capable of high speed and wheelie-popping and REMOVE the human element.

Insurances and assurances give fear value. Screw that.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Certainteed
So getting an m-endorsement has nothing to do with determining skill and everything to do with creating revenue.

If we are to assume anyone doing 50+ over (and/or wheelies) is a threat to others in 100% of circumstances, then we should outlaw any motorcycle capable of high speed and wheelie-popping and REMOVE the human element.

Insurances and assurances give fear value. Screw that.
Has nothing to do with an M endorsement. The new law applies to ALL Vehicles.

Must be some weirdo stuff in Kentucky water that causes a loss of brain cells.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if the state endorses your ability to safely operate a vehicle then the state has made an error in judgment when you pop a wheelie or exceed the speed limit.

it doesn't take many brain cells to understand that people who try to legislate safety live in fear.

Quick Reply: Riding with plate folded shut