Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with plate folded shut

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Shadow_Demon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I travel the communist states(CA,FL,OH,NY) and a few others. I try not to spend any money in those states. I'm talking about fuel, eats, parties, and etc. I get in and I get out. I'm damn sure not going to move to one of them and its not likely I'll ride a bike in one. I feel for you dudes that do. To be honest I see other states starting to go in the same direction. Its just a matter of time before we will all be living in a police state.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadow_Demon
I travel the communist states(CA,FL,OH,NY) and a few others. I try not to spend any money in those states. I'm talking about fuel, eats, parties, and etc. I get in and I get out. I'm damn sure not going to move to one of them and its not likely I'll ride a bike in one. I feel for you dudes that do. To be honest I see other states starting to go in the same direction. Its just a matter of time before we will all be living in a police state.
Most people I've met in Florida and who I ride with here love the place as much as I do. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want to ride 50 mph over the speed limit and ride wheelies than we don't need you in our state anyway. As for the horizontal license plate, I may not agree with it but I understand why it was necessary.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Shadow_Demon
Cruiser

i don't think i said anything about doing wheelies or speeding. but i bet your one of those cutting off trucks and speeding in your fourwheeler. The point i'm making is those states know how to make money, even if they have to steal it from you.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Shadow_Demon
Cruiser

Like I said, I wouldn't live there. There's too many self appointed wizards there also.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by papadop88
That can't be...Manufacturers cannot produce a vehicle that does not pass all federal and state laws. If it comes stock on the vehicle from the manufacturer, then you cannot be ticketed. If you get ticketed, fight it and you'll win. But what do i know.
That is not completely true. We use to have people go over to Indiana to pick up cars and the tint was stock (in Indiana). They had to have it removed to operate the car in Illinois (with Illinois plates installed). You can't ticket a person for having tinted windows if they are from out of state. You can't ticket a person for having stock license brackets if they are from out of state but if Florida law prohibits folding or side mounted plates then Florida residents can't have them.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Fear Night
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
Here is the Fl statute. See line #38.
Wow, that's harsh.

1st offence: $1k fine
2nd offence: $2.5k fine and drivers license revoked for 1 year
3rd offence: $5k fine, FELONY, and drivers license revoked for 10 years

Popping a wheelie, having a fold-able or vertical mount plate, or traveling 50 over the speed limit all count as an additional offence. So technically if you were popping a wheelie on a Nightster while going 50 over the speed limit, you go could go right to step 3!

Last edited by Fear Night; 12-07-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:54 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the same arguement at work.People tell me if i can buy window tint in an auto store it has to be legal.Wel you can buy weed,crack,coke and heroin on some street corners however that does not make it legal.The simple fact is with less than $20 you could make a plate holder that folds into one that won't.That includes the price of tools and supplies.Oh and by the way laws are argued every day.That is why we have so many lawyers in the US.Last I heard there was one for every 700 people.So if the average lawyer makes 100K a year you are paying $143 a year even if you don't use one because of costs being recovered from those that do.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadow_Demon
i don't think i said anything about doing wheelies or speeding. but i bet your one of those cutting off trucks and speeding in your fourwheeler. The point i'm making is those states know how to make money, even if they have to steal it from you.
It's all part of the same law and there's good reason that we have that law.

As for me cutting off trucks in my "fourwheeler" (nice terminology) I'm actually quite respectful of trucks because I've driven a truck for a living. And if I do speed I don't complain if I get a ticket cause I know what I was doing.

Last edited by sleepman54; 12-07-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry1955
That is not completely true. We use to have people go over to Indiana to pick up cars and the tint was stock (in Indiana). They had to have it removed to operate the car in Illinois (with Illinois plates installed). You can't ticket a person for having tinted windows if they are from out of state. You can't ticket a person for having stock license brackets if they are from out of state but if Florida law prohibits folding or side mounted plates then Florida residents can't have them.
Right, but in this case this argument doesn't pertain to the nightster. The nightster IS sold in FL with a movable license plate mount. Therefore, it's legal. No one is going to another state to buy the nightster and then bringing them back to FL. If it is sold in a state, then the manufacturer has met the states laws.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by papadop88
Right, but in this case this argument doesn't pertain to the nightster. The nightster IS sold in FL with a movable license plate mount. Therefore, it's legal. No one is going to another state to buy the nightster and then bringing them back to FL. If it is sold in a state, then the manufacturer has met the states laws.
Sorry but not so, if the Nightsters in stock at the dealers in Fl. do not meet the new Fl. law, the dealer is responsible for bringing the bike into compliance prior to the sale. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse and there is no "grandfather" clause.

Last edited by cHarley; 12-07-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Riding with plate folded shut