Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with plate folded shut

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:13 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by RATROD HOG
well said there cHarley.
are you sure your not a lawyer? (J/K)

Naw, the terms lawyer, thug and gang banger are all synonymous aren't they?

Old 12-06-2008, 12:48 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
Yes, I did read it and understand that the law leaves it back on officer discretion which means that officer could pull a rider over and write a citation by simply saying you should have seen the bump in the road and slowed down.
That's true anywhere and under any circumstance. Law enforcement can claim anything they feel like based on nothing more than they don't like the way you look.

I also apparently know the Kentucky revised statutes better than you do in that you will note if refers to specific segments of roadways as well as state highways. You will also note it does not refer to the back road areas "rural roadways" which are not State Highways nor are they patrolled by State or local authorities. Fact is, a cop would die of boredom out here. Yes, there will always be a prima facie limit that is generally driven by conditions but considering the lack of interest in what goes on in these areas I don't see doing wheelies or running 150mph as becoming a problem anytime soon.
Well, the roads belong to someone, feds, state, county, etc. and if you dig I'm sure you will find that the governing authority does have laws that address speed limits on these roads. If nothing else, you're up against the officers right to claim reckless driving based on excessive speed. Your term "officer discretion". Also, unless Kentucky does not accept federal highway funding, all the roads have a speed limit.

The problem with behavioral laws like the one passed in Florida is simply that the reckless driving laws currently on the books already covered these actions. If the bail amount was as you say a "simple slap on the wrist" then don't spend thousands of taxpayer dollars on writing a new law, simply change the bail amount and enforce the law that exists. Here in lie the moronic value in it all.

I agree it takes a moron to stunt or ride at speeds well in excess of the posted limit in areas that would endanger the public however, I see no reason to prevent that same moron from playing all day long in an area that does not endanger the public with the exception of that rider. If the rider wants to kill themselves have at it.
You miss the point. This activity goes well beyond what is normally considered Reckless Driving. Making bail and fines higher didn't stop the problem, they were back out doing the same thing the next day. Confiscating the bike, extreme fines and mandatory jail time still doesn't stop all the extreme reckless activity, but you can bet your a$$ they won't be back an hour later doing the same thing and will think twice before becoming a repeat offender.

I'm done with this topic.

Last edited by cHarley; 12-06-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:10 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=7/11 The Crapshooter;4200206]It, the wheelie law, is BS because not all wheelies are intended and there are times when the front wheel of a bike will float up in the normal coarse of riding; QUOTE]

When are these times that the front wheel will float up in the normal course of riding? I want some more info so I can beware of when my bike is gonna pull an unintended wheelie on me.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
mbwannabe1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been lurking here since I bought my sporty back in April. I just couldn't pass up a blatant mistake in Florida's law (legislators can't use english?)
"
The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed horizontally to the ground and may not be
40 adjusted or capable of being flipped up.

The ultimate in a lay-down plate. Completely flat as required by law!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:21 PM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Anybody in FL got the rocks to try mounting their plate to the literal "horizontally", perhaps facing the ground? Face up would still be too easy for the LEO to read.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbwannabe1
Ive been lurking here since I bought my sporty back in April. I just couldn't pass up a blatant mistake in Florida's law (legislators can't use english?)
"
The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed horizontally to the ground and may not be
40 adjusted or capable of being flipped up.

The ultimate in a lay-down plate. Completely flat as required by law!
Maybe you're the lawyer since you seem to be reading too much into how the law is written. How does horizontally imply that it should be laying flat?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:17 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Didn't mean to imply FL bikers have to lay the plate down flat. Common sense tells that you have to be able to read the plate from behind the bike.

I was just grinning at the loophole the legislators left in the wording. Sport bikes have been tucking the plate under the fender facing the rear wheel, and I always wondered how they get away with it. No light either.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Sorry Sleepman. Re-reading your question you wanted an explanation of how the word "horizontally" implied flat.
See definition 2 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/horizontally

"Horizontally to the ground" is even redundant.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
That's true anywhere and under any circumstance. Law enforcement can claim anything they feel like based on nothing more than they don't like the way you look.

Well, the roads belong to someone, feds, state, county, etc. and if you dig I'm sure you will find that the governing authority does have laws that address speed limits on these roads. If nothing else, you're up against the officers right to claim reckless driving based on excessive speed. Your term "officer discretion". Also, unless Kentucky does not accept federal highway funding, all the roads have a speed limit.

You miss the point. This activity goes well beyond what is normally considered Reckless Driving. Making bail and fines higher didn't stop the problem, they were back out doing the same thing the next day. Confiscating the bike, extreme fines and mandatory jail time still doesn't stop all the extreme reckless activity, but you can bet your a$$ they won't be back an hour later doing the same thing and will think twice before becoming a repeat offender.

I'm done with this topic.

I hope not because you have stepped on your foot here. As you said, an LEO can claim anything and if so, what goes beyond reckless, it either is or isn't reckless. That said, there was no need for a new law. Rather, amend the existing reckless driving law.

Yes, all roads belong to someone regardless of the state and those same roads do have a prima facie speed limits so there shouldn't be the need for much digging. However, unlike Florida with its 18 plus million people and 65,758 square miles , the Commonwealth of Kentucky has but 4.5 million people and 40,411 square miles. Our back roads do not meet federal standards in terms of engineering. They are likely not much wider than a Florida alley as they are often under 12' wide. There are no lines in the middle of the road and you will quite often not find signs indicating a name or number. You will also note they do not appear on GPS units nor are they patrolled by aircraft or local law enforcement. Yes, an officer can claim anything however, there must first be an officer in these areas to enforce laws and this would include but is not limited to folded plates, speeding, wheelies, riding OHV type vehicles on the roadway and so on. Therefore, it's pretty much open season on how we use these roads and right of ways. The road I live on was actually gravel through roughly 2003.

I won't bet my a$$ but I will bet these folks you indicate won't be back will in fact be back and doing the same thing in no time at all because they enjoy pissing off the law and the general public at large. An excellent example of this would be Deals Gap. Prior to 1992 the speed limit was 55mph. The law was changed numerous times as more and more motorcycles began using it for the racway it is today. In 2005 the law was set at 30mph where it has remained and this has stopped nothing as represented by the rider deaths caused by excessive speed that occur there each year. Here, as with the folded plate or wheelie or street racer you we find that it will alter the behavior of some but the habitual offender will continue on business as usual regardless of the penalty.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:17 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=xxxflhrci;4202310]
Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
It, the wheelie law, is BS because not all wheelies are intended and there are times when the front wheel of a bike will float up in the normal coarse of riding; QUOTE]

When are these times that the front wheel will float up in the normal course of riding? I want some more info so I can beware of when my bike is gonna pull an unintended wheelie on me.
Just as an example, there is a road I travel over quite frequently that just off a 2nd gear left there is a rolling rise in the pavement that I hit while on the way up to third. My sportbike will hit that rise and while going over it the front wheel comes up about 6" for a distance of roughly 20 feet. The first time I hit it the lift was unintended and now I can't wait to get there. There is an uphill on ramp to I65 where much the same conditions exist and the result is the same. This part of Kentucky is a sink hole plain and the roads have numerous elevation changes that make conditions right for the little floating wheelie on a lighter bike..

Quick Reply: Riding with plate folded shut