Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with plate folded shut

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sbergloff
I agree. If it's sold in your state, it has to meet your state requirements. A good example is anything sold in CA has to meet stricter emissions guidelines.
The manufacturer has to comply with Federal standards yes. However, that California vehicle for all practical purpose has the same emissions (output from the tailpipe) as the 49 states vehicle. Additionally, the California vehicle must have a closed loop evaporative system where the 49 states doesn't.

The flip up plate or flip closed plate could be a real issue in that they are only too often used to evade law enforcement and a good example is right here in this thread where it was mentioned you could beat the camera. In the California vehicle code section 5201 the plate is required to be mounted in a manner that does not allow it to swing and it must be clearly visible at all times. While it says nothing about flipping or folding the intent of the code is to provide a manner in which the plate is clearly visible at all times. Florida section 316.605 is much the same as California except in Florida it states the plate must be visible at all times and from 100 feet away. In either case I could find nothing about the plate folding away.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:42 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter

The flip up plate or flip closed plate could be a real issue in that they are only too often used to evade law enforcement and a good example is right here in this thread where it was mentioned you could beat the camera. In the California vehicle code section 5201 the plate is required to be mounted in a manner that does not allow it to swing and it must be clearly visible at all times. While it says nothing about flipping or folding the intent of the code is to provide a manner in which the plate is clearly visible at all times. Florida section 316.605 is much the same as California except in Florida it states the plate must be visible at all times and from 100 feet away. In either case I could find nothing about the plate folding away.

Here is the Fl statute. See line #38.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:02 AM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, all nightsters in every state come with the plates mounted on a folding mount...so how do cops enforce that in FL? My argument would be that I bought it like that and never modified it. If they had a problem with it, they can take it up with the MoCo.

Last edited by papadop88; 12-06-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
Here is the Fl statute. See line #38.
It doesn't fold up and a House Bill is not a signed law. It is merely a suggestion for addendum to the law. When it is signed and actually hits the books it will become law, if it does. It must also be on the books before an officer can write a citation for it. Florida has recently come out with some real BS like there wheelie law and the new smog regulation passed 12/05/2008 where they will now use the California standards. What next?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:51 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It doesn't fold up and a House Bill is not a signed law. It is merely a suggestion for addendum to the law. When it is signed and actually hits the books it will become law, if it does. It must also be on the books before an officer can write a citation for it. Florida has recently come out with some real BS like there wheelie law and the new smog regulation passed 12/05/2008 where they will now use the California standards. What next?
It is a law in Florida now, it went into effect 10/01/08. And how is a wheelie law B.S.? If you wanna ride down the road doing wheelies and going 50 mph over the posted limit, then we don't want you in Florida anyway.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sleepman54
It is a law in Florida now, it went into effect 10/01/08. And how is a wheelie law B.S.? If you wanna ride down the road doing wheelies and going 50 mph over the posted limit, then we don't want you in Florida anyway.
It, the wheelie law, is BS because not all wheelies are intended and there are times when the front wheel of a bike will float up in the normal coarse of riding; which is now an enforcable action. Agreed, the riding or stunting wheelie is not the same but they fall under the same infraction and shouldn't because the way the law is written is too vague nor did they need it as reckless driving was already against the law.. Granted, you won't see a Harley doing this but you will find this occurring on the likes of a sportbike. That said, should the law force the road department to build a road smooth enough to prevent this action from occurring? If they choose to write citations for it in the manner it was written they sure should.

Trust me, I have no desire to spend money or travel to Florida and at the rate they are going more people will feel that way as things get worse. Denver Colorado is going that way too. Thankfully I don't have to face these issues in Kentucky where we can still have loud pipes, no helmet, no smog checks, shoot guns on our own property and on and on. Riding 50 over the limit is no problem here as the nearest road with a posted speed limit is 10 miles away. Florida didn't need the new law, they simply needed to enforce the existing law they had.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:07 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

It, the wheelie law, is BS because not all wheelies are intended and there are times when the front wheel of a bike will float up in the normal coarse of riding; which is now an enforcable action. Agreed, the riding or stunting wheelie is not the same but they fall under the same infraction and shouldn't because the way the law is written is too vague nor did they need it as reckless driving was already against the law.. Granted, you won't see a Harley doing this but you will find this occurring on the likes of a sportbike. That said, should the law force the road department to build a road smooth enough to prevent this action from occurring? If they choose to write citations for it in the manner it was written they sure should.

Trust me, I have no desire to spend money or travel to Florida and at the rate they are going more people will feel that way as things get worse. Denver Colorado is going that way too. Thankfully I don't have to face these issues in Kentucky where we can still have loud pipes, no helmet, no smog checks, shoot guns on our own property and on and on. Riding 50 over the limit is no problem here as the nearest road with a posted speed limit is 10 miles away. Florida didn't need the new law, they simply needed to enforce the existing law they had.

Obviously you did not bother to read the entire link, specifically lines 34 - 37. The friggin exception is even underlined.

I suggest you also read up on default Speed Limits in Kentucky. Section 3

And wrong, the old law, ticket & fine, was simply a slap on the wrist to many riders and repeat offenses were common.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these new laws are targeted at the reckless crotch rocket crowd. Only a moron finds it necessary to pull wheelies and run 50+ over on public streets, and in doing so endanger the life of others.

Last edited by cHarley; 12-06-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:24 AM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

well said there cHarley.
are you sure your not a lawyer? (J/K)

Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now that just cracks me up, do you really believe that a road that doesn't have a posted speed limit means there is no speed limit?

Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
Obviously you did not bother to read the entire link, specifically lines 34 - 37. The friggin exception is even underlined.

I suggest you also read up on default Speed Limits in Kentucky. Section 3

And wrong, the old law, ticket & fine, was simply a slap on the wrist to many riders and repeat offenses were common.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these new laws are targeted at the reckless crotch rocket crowd. Only a moron finds it necessary to pull wheelies and run 50+ over on public streets, and in doing so endanger the life of others. .
Yes, I did read it and understand that the law leaves it back on officer discretion which means that officer could pull a rider over and write a citation by simply saying you should have seen the bump in the road and slowed down.

I also apparently know the Kentucky revised statutes better than you do in that you will note if refers to specific segments of roadways as well as state highways. You will also note it does not refer to the back road areas "rural roadways" which are not State Highways nor are they patrolled by State or local authorities. Fact is, a cop would die of boredom out here. Yes, there will always be a prima facie limit that is generally driven by conditions but considering the lack of interest in what goes on in these areas I don't see doing wheelies or running 150mph as becoming a problem anytime soon.

The problem with behavioral laws like the one passed in Florida is simply that the reckless driving laws currently on the books already covered these actions. If the bail amount was as you say a "simple slap on the wrist" then don't spend thousands of taxpayer dollars on writing a new law, simply change the bail amount and enforce the law that exists. Here in lie the moronic value in it all.

I agree it takes a moron to stunt or ride at speeds well in excess of the posted limit in areas that would endanger the public however, I see no reason to prevent that same moron from playing all day long in an area that does not endanger the public with the exception of that rider. If the rider wants to kill themselves have at it.

Quick Reply: Riding with plate folded shut