Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you like the XR1200?
I don't care.
7.69%
Perfect bike.
5.13%
Great.
51.28%
Not bad.
20.51%
Ok.
5.13%
Ugly.
5.13%
Horrible.
5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

a small XR1200 sportster review, 6 month use

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 AM
zzz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool XR1200 sportster review after 6 month use

Here is a subjective try at an XR1200 sportster review, 6 month and 3000 km after.. Hope it's useful to you. You might want to check this video I did a few weeks ago (for a camera mounting explanation), it shows the bike under different angles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUrbXS8BMSA

Esthetics, looks:

Very subjective. Personally I love it, I would have preferred a smaller souped-up engine (hint: XR750?) but even thought it's a bit fat the looks are none the less great. The bike got many spontaneous comments, all positive, if not very positive, mostly by unknowns, usually aged in the thirties, men and (yes!) women, biker and non-bikers alike. Interestingly enough, friends who have seen the bike in pictures and didn't like it, liked it in real (except one that thought it was ok...).
Its asymmetry (air intake and exhaust on the right, cooling on the left) gives it a nice personality. The front wheel is a bit to small to my taste, I would have preferred same radius than the back, but hey, I'll get used to it, it's supposed to be a sports bike (I'll get back on this later).
Esthetically well balanced in every curve and line. Maybe the headlight is a bit small to my taste.
I'm not a big fan of the white background of the RPM counter but the combination with the speed meter and shape is right.

Comfort and ergonomics:

Straight position. I'm average European size (1.78) and basically the position feels a bit short for daily use, better during sporty rides. Relatively comfortable, did great on it up to approximatively 180 continuous miles of steep and sinuous mountain roads riding at legal speed.
Uncomfortable on freeway above 70 miles/h because of front air but that was expectable.
The lateral stand works great but if you live in a city get ready to be stuck with another bike (or car) parking after you on the right. Then you're stuck without pushing the by-standing vehicle (and grunting of course), and actually eventually dents your exhaust shell which is quite fragile. The bike leans a bit too much, thought it is stable that way.
Automatic blinker-off is a pain. If your turn less than approximatively 90°, the sensor doesn't get it or maybe does, which eventually means you have to turn it off manually and eventually the automatic timing makes it so that you actually turn it back on as it just turned it off when you thought it wouldn't (confusing as much as reading this phrase)... Very annoying, the option should be switchable, manual blinker would work better. Or don't signal.
Headlight switch is badly placed, just on the right of the similarly-shaped horn button. If you quickly want to signal using your high beams it's not handy, the horn is on the way.
The turning radius is a bit short for city driving. Makes it a bit limiting at low speeds when stuck in the traffic.
The speed meter should be switchable between metric and royal values (maybe it is?).
The gas tank cap is not lockable, got my tank emptied a few weeks ago... At least there could be a lockable option.
The rear micro-seat is ok (which on this kind of bike is actually great!). I had 6 feet + and petite size passengers, the position is a bit too high for more than half an hour.

Details:

Very well built and finished apart from a few exceptions.
The two extremities of the exhaust pipes don't drain, so if it rains, or snows, the water stays in the small 'pool' and rust takes over.
The rear break pedal touches the exhaust pipe shell, and actually dents it. Mine has, even the first official photos show that.

img: two left pics = official pics, two rights = mine
The alarm/ignition lock bends at its base. Annoying but seems to resist otherwise.

Basic work:

No problems. Starts well, seems a bit more strenuous in near freezing temperatures, but started at first try every time.

Standard handling:

A bit heavy. Very straightforward, comfortable bike. The tires are not good a low temperatures, too slippery and hard on asphalt, don't handle well on wet asphalt. Maybe they're good on the track once hot but didn't get much trouble on fair and good weather on mountain rides.
Brakes are great. The front is firm and precise, the rear subtle and linear.
Acceleration can be defined in one word: fun. Not much more to it. Rather precise and fast response above a certain speed. At very low speeds (I'm thinking of very sharp mountain turns), the response is quite unpredictable.
It's definitely not the most aggressive 'modern' sports bike, but it's muscular enough with great power balance and responsiveness to get great thrills. Perfect for me. Low RPM idling is great at 2000, there is a sweet spot at 1500 but bad in between or lower.
The shock absorbers are a bit too comfortable for a sports bike, but you get used to it (age helps too).

Hazard handling:

Very well balanced, very good brakes. Again, the bike is heavy and you better be prepared for it when braking.
Loss of rear adherence can be a problem but rear sliding is well manageable.

Sound:

Great compact sound. Nervous, not too loud if you live in an urban environment. Quite silent actually. (check video)

More? Please don't hesitate to ask me some other questions, as I tried to answer a few I thought of at first, I'll try to answer them relating to my experience. Cheers.
Z

Last edited by zzz; 12-05-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added pic of rear brake conflict
Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 AM
boohoo
Cruiser

thanks mate nicely done
Cheers

Old 12-02-2008, 10:47 AM
zzz
Novice
Default xr1200 american version review

Originally Posted by boohoo
thanks mate nicely done
Cheers
I read you had yours ordered, I'd be happy to get your evaluation of the beast when you get it, probably they'll have corrected some details between the european and US version.
But you'll definitely have fun with it!

Cheers,
z

Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very informative and objective review... I can't wait to see/ride one when they arrive at our dealership.. I hope to see a model that truly represents HD's flat-track racing heritage.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the XR1200 always reminded me of a Ducati Monster

especially the new S4R that have the double one sided exhuast.

it also SOUNDS like a duc

Old 12-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Good write up and also like the video. Thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just happened to read your review (well done by the way!) prior to taking delivery of my XR earlier today. I was especially concerned regarding your comments about the brake pedal hitting the pipe shield and the ignition switch being somewhat loose. I specifically checked these out and neither appear to be an issue on my XR. Note that mine has a Nov. '08 build date so this may be something that has been addressed in later builds. I also noted that the rearsets to have spring returns. Some of the early reviews I read complained that the pegs would fold up and the rider would have to flip them back down with their foot. Yikes!!!! I seriously doubted they'd meed any kind of regulation that way and apparently Harley fixed this as well.

Good review and video.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:24 AM
zzz
Novice
Default US xr1200

Thanks. I'm happy to see the US version has probably seen the few problems being resolved ( e.g. the dent http://blog.xr1200.info/post/2008/07...ark-on-exhaust ). I'd be curious to have more official info from HD on what they actually did or not. Once you get a few miles out of it, I would be interested in getting your opinion too.
Have fun with your new bike (I don't doubt it)! Cheers
z

Originally Posted by TowJam
I just happened to read your review (well done by the way!) prior to taking delivery of my XR earlier today. I was especially concerned regarding your comments about the brake pedal hitting the pipe shield and the ignition switch being somewhat loose. I specifically checked these out and neither appear to be an issue on my XR. Note that mine has a Nov. '08 build date so this may be something that has been addressed in later builds. I also noted that the rearsets to have spring returns. Some of the early reviews I read complained that the pegs would fold up and the rider would have to flip them back down with their foot. Yikes!!!! I seriously doubted they'd meed any kind of regulation that way and apparently Harley fixed this as well.

Good review and video.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some additional comments....

Originally Posted by zzz
I'm average European size (1.78) and basically the position feels a bit short for daily use, better during sporty rides. Relatively comfortable, did great on it up to approximatively 180 continuous miles of steep and sinuous mountain roads riding at legal speed.
I'm a little on the short side myself - 5'6" (not sure what that is metric) and I'm not quite able to flatfoot it - but that's due in part to the placement of the pegs. The reach and angle to the handlebars is going to take some getting use to as well - the grips are at just enough of an angle that my left wrist starts getting cramped when I'm feathering the clutch in stop and go traffic. Still, the ergos are far more upright than say a Duc 696.

Originally Posted by zzz
Uncomfortable on freeway above 70 miles/h because of front air but that was expectable.
Totally agreed. With the narrow gas tank and straight up seating position, there is nothing between you and the wind. The Cycle World review made mention of the instrument cluster being able to block some wind but I"m certainly not seeing that. But as you said, this is a naked bike - I wasn't expecting wind protection so this isn't something I can ding the bike for. There are windshield options available as well.

Originally Posted by zzz
The lateral stand works great but... The bike leans a bit too much, thought it is stable that way....
This may be one of those bugs that Harley fixed in later models. I don't see an unusually high lean angle. In fact on the stand, it's nowhere near the angle of some other bikes I've had *cough*1200GS*cough* I will say that if you have short legs like me, you have to learn a new method of putting the stand down - you have to position your foot behind the peg and extend the stand down with your tiptoe. It's not something you're going to right the first time. Until I got this technique down, I almost dropped the bike a couple of times when parking. Now, it's second nature but it's something you may want to keep in mind if someone wants to ride your bike.

Originally Posted by zzz
Automatic blinker-off is a pain. If your turn less than approximatively 90°, the sensor doesn't get it or maybe does, which eventually means you have to turn it off manually and eventually the automatic timing makes it so that you actually turn it back on as it just turned it off when you thought it wouldn't (confusing as much as reading this phrase)...
Having owned Harleys previously, this wasn't that big a deal for me. Harley still has the best auto-canceling mechanism on the market but as you point out, you still have to pay attention. (It's interesting to note that even BMW is moving away from the separate turn signal switches with their new models and going back to the single left hand thumb switch.) At least the indicator lights are up in front of you so you can see if your blinkers are still on - even when wearing a fullface.

Originally Posted by zzz
Headlight switch is badly placed, just on the right of the similarly-shaped horn button. If you quickly want to signal using your high beams it's not handy, the horn is on the way.
Yes yes yes. I see three changes Harley should make here:
  1. Move the headlight switch over to where the horn switch is now.
  2. Add a headlight "flash to pass" button
  3. Change the horn switch to something a little smaller and closer to your thumb so that you don't have to hunt for it. I can't tell you how many times I've missed the horn at a crucial moment
Of course, this is just my personal preference - I'm sure there are others who are totally ok with the current switch gear.

Originally Posted by zzz
The speed meter should be switchable between metric and royal values (maybe it is?).
At least on the US XR, the odometer/tripometer can be switched between english/metric. I'm not sure if this changes the speedo or not - I've not actually tried it.

Originally Posted by zzz
The rear micro-seat is ok (which on this kind of bike is actually great!). I had 6 feet + and petite size passengers, the position is a bit too high for more than half an hour.
I don't see how anyone will be able to ride as a passenger. That rear seat looks to me to be nothing more than decoration and if you want to adjust preload for a passenger, you'll have to use a special spanner wrench with an extension and ratchet to adjust the right shock. (At least you don't have to remove the pipes like some of the reviews have stated.)

Originally Posted by zzz
Very well built and finished
100% agreed. I had read early reviews in some of the UK magazines where the fit and finish was criticized but they must have been looking at a prototype. The XR is typical Harley fit/finish - top notch. (And traditionalists be damned, i really like the lack of chrome and the plastic airbox cover and rear section - it gives it some sporting credibility and I'm not going to have to spend time washing and polishing.)

Originally Posted by zzz
The tires are not good a low temperatures, too slippery and hard on asphalt, don't handle well on wet asphalt. Maybe they're good on the track once hot but didn't get much trouble on fair and good weather on mountain rides.
I'm surprised that Harley went with Dunlop 209s. Buell dumped them for the reasons you mentioned above. I'm guessing that HD stayed with Dunlops since that's who their OEM is for all other models. When it's time to change 'em, I'll probably go with Pirellis. I have little confidence in the 209s on anything but the driest of pavement.

Originally Posted by zzz
Low RPM idling is great at 2000, there is a sweet spot at 1500 but bad in between or lower.
I need a little more ride time before I pass judgment but I noticed a possible fueling issue yesterday when riding in slow traffic. I've noticed this EXACT same fueling issue with my Buells but Harley is using a different EFI system so maybe I'm just imagining it. Time will tell....

Originally Posted by zzz
Sound... Quite silent actually.
Quite silent indeed. In fact, it sounds not too far removed from a BMW boxer - almost like a wet fart at lower speed. Yes. The pipes will need to be changed at some point but then again, with a full face and at highway speeds, the only think you'll probably be hearing (and feeling) is the wind. I do thing the pipes look better in person than they do in pictures.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 AM
badbs101
Road Master

Originally Posted by TowJam
I need a little more ride time before I pass judgment but I noticed a possible fueling issue yesterday when riding in slow traffic. I've noticed this EXACT same fueling issue with my Buells but Harley is using a different EFI system so maybe I'm just imagining it. Time will tell....

I was really hoping the "downdraft EFI" on the XR1200 would eliminate this problem. ALL of the EFI Harleys I've owned ('07 Street Bob and '07 Sportster Roadster) or ridden (rented several) have a low speed hiccup that is very annoying. It occurs on very light throttle applications. Some don't notice it but if you do start to notice it, it's hard to ignore. Even after a race tuner and dyno runs it was still there. I think it's because the transition between fuel on and off is so abrupt. It's 2008 so why can't HD make a decent smooth fuel injection system?

Quick Reply: a small XR1200 sportster review, 6 month use