Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nooby Lurking

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 AM
Nrodriguez
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nooby Lurking

I felt this would be the most appropiate place to post.

First let me start by introducing myself. My Name is Nelson and I'm 19 years old. I'm from Southern California, city of San Bernardino to be exact. I'm also a freshmen college student and close to becoming a sophmore.

Lets cut to the chase. I already introduced myself before on the new member section but want feedback from sportster riders. I have been researching on bikes since feb and also been researching on these forums for quite some time now. I first looked into Harley Davidson but money was an issue so I looked into the kawasaki ninja 250. I want to be in the Harley family, not the street bikes, those bikes just don't really call my attention.

I have never ridden a motorcycle. Yet I'm very interested in the Nightster. I seen it on these forums first and then in the dealership. I just want the bike for short commutings, cruising at the speed limit in the streets with the loudpipes, and being part of a true family that I'll have pride for.

I haven't taken the msf course yet but wanted to see if I'm being realistic? I know these bikes, the insurance, and maintenance cost a lot. I expect a nightster to be 10,500-12000 new? Insurance 2400 a year I was quoted by progressive. Pipes with the computer and intake around $1500-2000? And that mostly I'll drop the bike at some point. Specially me being 19(for the insurance) and never ridden a motorcycle. But if I had the money part covered, is a Nightster too much for a new rider? I'm 5'8 and weigh 175. Yeh, most likely my height and weight have nothing much to do with it. But right now I see the options between a Nightster and a Kawasaki Ninja. I really don't want the ninja, but if I have to learn on that bike first to move on to a Harley, I will. What makes it worst is that people at work tell me I should be able to start off on a sportster. And that's what I think about everyday so far. Specially those v & n pipes lol.

So please guys, I know some people have posted something along the line. Please don't burn me for that lol\\. I have saved $ for a whole year already, I was very conservative, and am willing to save for another year before getting a Harley. I can get a ninja now but rather much start on a Harley first. For some reason, the Nightster and Street Bob are the most "beautiful" bikes I have seen. And they call my attention. But please, bring me back to reality if I'm not being realistic. I know my first purchase will be a motorcycle, but I want some input from people who actually have experience with these bikes.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:13 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok dude im 19 and i live in baldwin park which is just off the 10 going west. im not THAT far from you.

if you want to ride and you dont want to spend alot. buy a used sportster, 1986 to 2003 are good years, after that is the rubbermounted engine to reduce vibration but the old ones dont even have vibration if you make sure everything is tight.

the only thing differentiating a nightster from any other sportster is the height and chopped rear fender and fork gaiters in the front.

you can add this stuff to any other sportster and get that look, for a lot less. ill even do the paintjob for you, i got a shop here around LA, i do everything myself and ill make sure you dont get a dud bike. i probably shouldnt be helping so many people out but i hate to see money spent on something that can be done for cheaper hahaha

i mean its just a suggestion so you dont go spending a crapload, and you get a break on insurance for an older bike. i pay 20 a month. mine is a 1988, see the sig pic.

if your interested you can probably get the whole bike done, restored, ready to ride, looking great, for under 7-8k

hope none of the other forum members give me crap for this haha, PM me if your interested

oh and are you going to IMS in long beach? ill be there sunday you can check out my sporty and decide if a harley is even right for you in the first place. i can also teach you to ride or at least the basics so you pass the MSF with no probs

Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 AM
1200efi
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Joesph, That's what fellow riders should do, help others. (unless he buys a metric, then screw him) HeeHee. Ride safe.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

im 20 yrs old and i bought the 08 ninja 250 back in may, its a really good learner bike but i decided that i needed more power and refinement. so in the start of july i bought an 08 nightster. before i put 2000 miles on her i had already made her into the mean machine she is today. When i bought the bike i immediately put pipes and A/C on. Then drag bars and speedo relocation and grips soon followed. i absolutely love this machine. i would save ur money and go strait to the nightster. Good luck bro!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got to be way off with that insurance price. Here in NY one bike would cost you about 500 bucks.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mandog
You got to be way off with that insurance price. Here in NY one bike would cost you about 500 bucks.
Not really. Before leaving California I rode with a young man that was 22 years of age and riding a Honda 1000RR, which he paid $1,200 a month to insure. Yeah, you read that right, $1,200 a month to insure.

To the OP: Take the MSF class and see how you do. Skip Fordyce over in Riverside has a Rider's Edge class and there is a guy working the parts counter who is affectionately known as the Partsman who knows more about the Sportster line than your local priest knows about Jesus. I rode with this guy for years on Sportsters. If a Nightster is what you are after then go for it and don't get wrapped up in the "every new rider drops a bike" thing.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 AM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on the advice to find a used model, but don't limit your search to a particular year. You may find something you like at any year. Part of the fun and charm of ownership is making it into what you want it to be.

Unfortunately, the price of used Harley's has increased substantially over the past year or two. I purchased my 2005 two years ago with 5k miles for $8,000. Comparable 2005's with 20k miles are now listing (and selling) for $8,000 plus.

However, I think that the longer you wait, the worse that will become. I think that part of the price increase is due to the fact that the air-cooled motor is nearly a thing of the past, and after Harley starts to produce water cooled only motors in 2010 or 2011, the price for use air cooled motors will increase substantially. I mean, who would even consider buying a water cooled POS? Just look at the galloping sales of the V-Rod!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Mandog
Road Master

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
Not really. Before leaving California I rode with a young man that was 22 years of age and riding a Honda 1000RR, which he paid $1,200 a month to insure. Yeah, you read that right, $1,200 a month to insure.

Cmon now...1200 bucks a month for bike insurance....no offense but whatever your smoking aint helping

Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Mandog
Road Master

Had to see for myself...just ggogled CA motorcycle insurance and came up with 150 bucks a month. That is more than $1200 a year . GEEZ...I pay $768 for three bikes a year here in NY.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 AM
FUQUA
Road Master

I say hold out buy the bike you want, dont buy something just to ride. You'll end up regreting it in the end if you dont..........and my insurance is $800 a year

Quick Reply: Nooby Lurking