Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nooby Lurking

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From someone who has been around the block a few times. If $$$ is short which I would think in College it would be I would go with a used bike. Look around on ebay, Craigslist and you can find some really sweet deals. I bought my 05 sporty this past July for well under the blue book all you have to do is just do some research.

You have an excellent resource with Joesph so I would contact him and let him help you. the $$$ you save on the bike I would put towards the MSF class and this is something I would not skip on especially starting out.

If you learn how to ride properly and ride within your skill / abilities then you should not have any problems riding the sporty.

Good luck Nelson and ride safe!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
mississippiboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would get a used one. by the way my insurance for full coverage is less the 500 a year!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like you got your head on straight, maybe a tad tilted. You've never rode a street bike before and I'm guessing that you really don't know if you'll like it. I mean the bugs hurt when they hit the tip of your nose and most taste like crap. Small rocks to the fingers hurt like crap. Marbles in turns, morons on cell phones, these are all things you get to enjoy when you ride. You might do better with a used scooter untill you are sure about rideing. One more thing, don't believe the sterotypes about harley riders.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 AM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

+1 bugs taste like hell

Old 12-02-2008, 09:19 AM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the Harley! You won't regret it. My Nightster is my first bike, and very happy with it. Just always remember to respect the machine your riding on and you should be fine. You'll grow out of that 250 Ninja really fast. For what you want it for, any Sportster would be ideal for you.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

welcome to the forum

Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
scotty-j
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to the forum, lots of great info can be found here, def take a msf riding course, that may also qualify for a discount on insurance....a note on insurance, shop around and also try some idependant agents, you are paying for that big name and all their ads and commercials...i am with a company named grange, my 04 1200 custom cost me 196 a year full coverage. granted i am twice your age and also have a house and car on the policy but what they quoted you is nuts.

as for a bike and your high insurance, you might pick up a used nightster or even another sporty of sort, most have been modded already and would truly be a turn-key bike for you with little left to mod ?

might also try ins ads in the motorcycle magazines too !

worth a look, locate a agent and check pricing with them
https://grange.grangeinsurance.com/f...d=findAgentAdv

Last edited by scotty-j; 12-02-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Dameon
Tourer

I say get what you want, you will probably be happy with a used Sportster, and with the extra money you could put your own personal touches on it and make it yours, I honestly think the Ninja 250 would be a waste of your money, you may have fun on it for a few weeks but once you get a little more confidence on the road you will be begging for something more. And on the insurance, definitely check around, I have everything of mine insured with Liberty Mutual, except my bike, they wanted about 150 a month, foremost is only around 65 a month, so shop around.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Nrodriguez
Novice

-The first thing before ever buying a bike will be taking the MSF course. I'm a 100% on this. I was looking into the riders edge, but I think it said I had to be 21 years of age for the ones around me =x

wow, tyvm guys. Glad someone who lives near me offered help. I'll make sure to come back to this post and to find Joseph if I get a dif sport model and want to make it look like a nightster. I won't be attending that event though\\

Zimbob, I love what he wrote. Sounds a lot like a long quote. But an interesting one lol. I wish to be able to use that in the future =x

And to the rest, tyvm for all of your responces. The nightster is what I have my eyes set. I wanted to buy stock and then customize it slowly as time and $ proceed. But I'm glad to know that some of you have given me the green light to get the bike as a first. And I'm also glad that some of you of given me the option of getting a used one. Both have their pros.

And one last thing, tyvm on the insurance. Specially scotty-j. I don't plan on modifying the bike a lot. Except for the loud pipes and putting the cpu and intake. And maybe the handle bars and even a springer seat. Maybe even a few more things! Hmm, sort of contradicting myself. But I'm trying to expect to pay a whole lot more. That way hopefully when the time comes, and if I save a lot more $, I feel relieved; and if not, atleast it's not like I didn't expect it :P. But for right now, it seems like I have my eyes on a used nightster. Eventhough they all go for as much as the new ones. But I'll look into other used sportsters. Eventhough I luv the nightster due to the post ww2 look. But another sportster can be my way up the ladder into what I want, a nightster- unless I costumize a dif. sportster and try making it like a xln.

And once again, TYVM EVRYONE. I RESPECT EVERYONE ON HERE. I'M VERY GLAD I CAN ASK QUESTIONS ON THESE FORUMS WITHOUGHT BEING FLAMED/BURNED.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forums Rodriguez. I am only about 15 minutes from Berdoo, so we are practically neighbors.

You should not have a problem with a Sporty as a first bike. Like you already know, take the MSF course, then once you get the bike, ride in your comfort zone until you get more experience. Honda teaches the MSF course in Colton, just minutes from you off the 10 and 215 interchange. The charge $250 for the 2 day course. Address in 1301 Via Venita Colton, CA 92324.

Like others have said, you would probably out grow the Ninja 250 pretty quick, and with the way the used bike market is nowadays.....you do not want to go through the hassle selling down the road.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Nooby Lurking