Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:20 PM
gypise
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipes

I have been looking for a pair of pipes for my 94 and believe me they are hard as hell to find, anyways i found 2 pair that i like in the V Twin parts book. They both are 2 inchers and the pair that i really like has ****ing buffles in them, is there anyway to remove the buffles or should i get the ones with out them. And will the 2 inchers be louder ?

Old 11-28-2008, 05:53 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the bigger pipes will be deeper in tone, but not louder.

the smaller pipes will be louder and have a higher pitch exhuast note.

if you get the 2 inch pipes prepare to lose a LOT of power from your bike, you wont be going ANYWHERE fast.

harley engines need an exhuast system that can push 300 feet per minute, smaller pipes do this and the stock 1 -3/4 inchers do it. bigger will NOT do it and your going to suffer, performance wise.

i would try to find the thin pipes and then keep the baffles in there, i mean if your totally ok with ditching a great set of pipes for crap thats what i would do. if you want performance spend the money on a good set, not drag pipes.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:18 PM
gypise
Intermediate

Hey Joe thanks 4 the useful infor. You know of anywhere that i can find 1 3/4 pipes at ? It is really hard to find pipes for my 94. And my i ask why would you keep the baffles don't they make the pipes quieter ?

Old 11-28-2008, 06:23 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gypise
Hey Joe thanks 4 the useful infor. You know of anywhere that i can find 1 3/4 pipes at ? It is really hard to find pipes for my 94. And my i ask why would you keep the baffles don't they make the pipes quieter ?

"why would you keep the baffles" hahaha

http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-exhaust.html

i swear, someone has to make this link a sticky at the top of every section! schumy where are you? haha

but seriously its up to you do you want to be loud or fast. you can have both but you have to compromise. a good tuned exhuast system can be loud, but it might NOT be as loud as straight drag pipes. that is the compromise, how much loudness vs performance you want.

edit: by the way, on the site i gave the link to, on the left side there is some links. each of these has so much useful info for anyone who is trying to upgrade their stock harley, i suggest you read it all, as well as anyone else who sees this thread and is in the same position as the original poster

Old 11-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You ever watch drag raceing? years ago the thinking was an open exhaust was good, lately they found oun some restriction(baffels) is better. If you like the sound, cool, it's your scooter, just don't come back asking why you can't get off the line and are getting beat by VW's all the time. If you like the 2" pipes, by all means, get them, I suggest the pair with baffels though. Have you looked at Bassani pipes? The best pipes on the market as I see it.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baffles are in there for a <performance> reason.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 AM
sledge34b
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get stepped headers you dont lose hardly anything.and the do make torque cones(yes my spelling suckslol)i have martin bros on my 95.they are stepped and perform well they step from 1.75 to 2.0 to 2.25.and sound great,no baffles.oh btw the pic is not the martin bros. pipes.i havent updated pic yet.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sledge34b
if you get stepped headers you dont lose hardly anything.and the do make torque cones(yes my spelling suckslol)i have martin bros on my 95.they are stepped and perform well they step from 1.75 to 2.0 to 2.25.and sound great,no baffles.oh btw the pic is not the martin bros. pipes.i havent updated pic yet.

stepped headers are a good idea. but torque cones only help the acoustic gas reversion at low RPMs, by this i mean at low rpms in straight pipes the exhaust waves match up and it comes back into the cylinder and pushes fresh gas out, and you lose power. torque cones help a little but dont cure it and its just a bandaid for a bad exhaust design.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:07 PM
gypise
Intermediate

I am thankfull to everyone 4 your replies and found them very useful, i seen that that i was going to make a mistake by putting straight drags like the ones that is on her but seen that i really need the 1 3/4 stepped and i also found a conversion kit that will turn my machine into a 90 cid, can you in magine a 90 cid sport monster, hell my baby already flies. I am on way to the bank to get $ 900 so i can turn my baby into a 90 cid killer. Thank you all again 4 your help.

i

Old 11-29-2008, 05:26 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Refer to "Anyone else's 883..." if you want to read some more info on what appears to be due to drag pipes. (Joe's comment basically sums it up)

Quick Reply: Pipes