Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:15 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery HELP

as most of you know im a newbie trying to learn everything i can. I recently took my battery off had it checked the guys says it was fine "4 yr old battery with about 3600 miles" then i get a battery floater instal when i put battery back on! the floater has been on the battery since sunday night. i get home at lunch going to take it for a ride i smell somthing funny while inspecting everything. this is what i found. also this is the pic of the battery floater i bought! any help would be very grateful. ok i dont have a picture of the charger so im enclosing the link

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...s+%26+Boosters

Attached Thumbnails battery HELP-battery.jpg  
Old 11-25-2008, 03:21 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Yea, I posted about those lousy "hollow post batteries a couple of days ago HERE.

What likely happened is that you tightened the terminal bolt down to tight and it pulled the mating nut inside the terminal post out.

No fixin it, go get one of the new HD AGM batteries which have soild posts. For the Sporty they run about $100.00.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

some more pictures

Attached Thumbnails battery HELP-harley-battery.jpg   battery HELP-battery.jpg  
Old 11-25-2008, 03:31 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

another

Attached Thumbnails battery HELP-post1.jpg  
Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

alittle closer

Attached Thumbnails battery HELP-upclose.jpg  
Old 11-25-2008, 03:34 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

by the way it looks ripped out but the post had been melted. i had to clean up drips of the post off the battery and bike!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:39 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

charley
thanks for the advice its always welcomed but you could see drip marks on the battery and parts of the bike where the post were melted and dripped down! now i took the battery out of the bike sunday havent ridden it since the battery was put back on. the floater i have looked as if it was operating correctly i looked out in the garage from time to time the past two days and the floater light was green meaning fully charged occasionally it would go back to orange meaning charging for a couple of seconds then back to green. i know i need a new battery obviously but i do not want to ruin another. by the way the only thing other than my floater on the battery is the security system which i dont think ive ever used!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:13 PM
cHarley
Club Member

If the post melted, the only thing I can think of is that the charger is malfunctioning and not going into float mode. That seems strange though as the charger is only listed at 2 amps @ 12v and that shouldn't be enough to melt the posts.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:30 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

ive been thinking what if the neg. wasnt tight enough and the float wire and the bike wire conected the neg. post at the same time when i tryed to crank it?

Old 11-26-2008, 01:07 AM
cHarley
Club Member

The original post lead me to believe you smelled something when you walked into the garage, it didn't say anything about trying to crank it. Yea, it's possible to over heat the connection it it's not tight and you tried cranking it. The (low amp) battery tender should also not be connected when cranking the bike.

Quick Reply: battery HELP