Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over while sitting still! In Knoxville,TN

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:14 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Amen brother.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
VENNUM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time just get off the bike stare the cop down and at the top of your voice break into the Y-M-C-A song!

It works for me every time.

I think those biatches were just jealous of your looks, wishing they could grow hair at all.

The closest those guys probably got to looking like or being bikers was wearing chaps over thongs at the cops Halloween party.

Best of luck, Leo (Law Enforcement Officer) how ironic.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF

Like another poster said, put their name(s) and badge numbers here. If enough of us write in to the Knoxville police complaining and asking why this is happening (that the cops are *NOT* actually checking the helmet but only glancing at it and *ASSuming* it's not DOT, etc), it'll stop and things will get back to normal. I know *I'LL* write and b!tch about it!

I live over here in west TN, in a little two-dog town and because I wear a watch cap or full face mask thing to keep warm I have a friends half-helmet that fits just right over them and is *not* DOT but no one has messed with me at all...hell, I even wore it to the dealership in Jackson and two motorcycle cops come in to sit and warm up for an hour or so and neither of them said a thing to me about it (the non DOT helmet) and it was on top of the table I was sitting at.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:20 AM
LEO1969
Cruiser
Default to clarify

Originally Posted by vet767
I guess I'm a dumb **** cause I don't get it. You are stopped at a lite with the helmet "on your bars" and get a ticket for it not being DOT compliant Is TN a helmet state, if so why not a ticket for failure to wear the helmet? If you are at a stop lite with the engine running even I would presume you were riding the bike, but unless the law said it had to be on your head I would think it is no ones business but yours
I was sitting at a light and a cop pulled up ~ I looked over and he said something but there was a big truck in front of me and I couldn't hear him ~ so he flagged me over. I pulled thru the light and took of my helmet and laid it on the bars/headlight ~

Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 AM
LEO1969
Cruiser
Default Update

Well , I went to court and they said that the law states there must be 2" of padding in between your head and the hard shell of the helmet ~ mine had 1 5/8" ~~ screw it ~ I give ~ I paid my $65.00 and told the officer no offense but I'll see him again when he pulls me over again. He laughed I laughed but it is the truth.We shook hands and I split ~ I know that ol' boy was just doin' his job by the way it was handed down ~~ But, I will where my helmet and pay every damn ticket they give me screw it. I'm including a photo of the helmet ~ it is a legal helmet and isn't one of those cheapy knock off novelty jobs ~

Attached Thumbnails Pulled over while sitting still! In Knoxville,TN-dsc02816-3.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 04:31 AM
LEO1969
Cruiser
Default DUDE, you ain't right!!! LOL!!!

Originally Posted by VENNUM
Next time just get off the bike stare the cop down and at the top of your voice break into the Y-M-C-A song!

It works for me every time.

I think those biatches were just jealous of your looks, wishing they could grow hair at all.

The closest those guys probably got to looking like or being bikers was wearing chaps over thongs at the cops Halloween party.

Best of luck, Leo (Law Enforcement Officer) how ironic.
DUDE, you ain't right!!! LOL!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We're you in Knoxville, or Blount County?? I've never had any problems in Knoxville. Lots of problems with the Blount county guys.

As far as the straight pipes go, the TN law is very fague about that. There is no set sound level. You can easily beat that in court.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Ludeykrus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LEO1969
Well , I went to court and they said that the law states there must be 2" of padding in between your head and the hard shell of the helmet ~ mine had 1 5/8" ~~ screw it ~ I give ~ I paid my $65.00 and told the officer no offense but I'll see him again when he pulls me over again. He laughed I laughed but it is the truth.We shook hands and I split ~ I know that ol' boy was just doin' his job by the way it was handed down ~~ But, I will where my helmet and pay every damn ticket they give me screw it. I'm including a photo of the helmet ~ it is a legal helmet and isn't one of those cheapy knock off novelty jobs ~
Wait, I thought if a helmet is DOT approved, then it is legal. Making a state law that is broader reaching isn't supposed to stand, right?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You should be carrying the paperwork from the helmet to show it's a DOT and as far as the striaght pipes you deserved that one.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Wait, I thought if a helmet is DOT approved, then it is legal. Making a state law that is broader reaching isn't supposed to stand, right?
Wrong, the State has the right to make the law more stringent and Tennessee is just such a State. The helmet law in Tennessee is approved by the Office of the Commissioner of Safety and while DOT or Snell do look good on a helmet, they don't really mean chit in Tennessee. I will however say they will be hard pressed to find that helmet with 2" of padding as mine don't and this would include my Shoei. The Shoei, which is a cruiser helmet has just over an inch at the forehead and 1 5/8" above the ears. That said, probably 90+ percent of the helmets on the road won't pass that standard. You may want to take a good look at the California case of "People of the State of California v. Melody Robin Woods" circa 1992.

In the Woods case, a helmet was purchased by Woods with a DOT sticker on the helmet much like yours. She was written a ticket for the helmet not being approved however, the State could not come up with a list that stated what helmets were or were not approved, which started the "no list, no law" argument. later, the State amended the Vehicle code to reflect the helmet being used must pass Federal Motorcycle Helmet Standard FMVSS218.

The lastest I can find on the Tenessee standard has nothing in it to reflect anything beyond CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) 49 CFR 571.218.

http://www.state.tn.us/sos/acts/104/pub/pc0459.pdf

Personally, I think you've been had and I would like to see their standard in writing because that 2" rule will screw every helmet out there. I live right next door in Kentucky so when I go to Tennessee I would like to be legal and after what you have said, not one of my 17 helmets will pass that rule..

Quick Reply: Pulled over while sitting still! In Knoxville,TN