Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over while sitting still! In Knoxville,TN

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's crazy..........

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM
EricM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like everyone said. Take the helmet to court and show it is DOT approved and it will be thrown out. It all boils down to discretion. Officers have discretion when writing tickets. Thats why Hawg295 gave speeding tickets for at least 15 over. The majority of jurisdictions have limits of at least 10 over but each department it different. And thats why one officer will give you a ticket for your helmet and another my give you a thumbs up when he sees you riding. I am about to graduate with a degree in Criminal Justice and if I see someone riding with a non-DOT helmet I'm just going to think it's their life and when they die...they won't do that agian.

Lorance, that's what the complaint would do. If several people have complained about a specific officer, he will be watched by his superiors or internal affairs and if he has been complained about enough he could be reprimanded or let go.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leo I feel your pain That kind of **** use to happen to me in the BRONX NY when I was 18-25 don't no why but pulled over for BS and ticketed .you got two choices fight it or get a full face helmet and stock pipes. I call it profiling in my case white kid he won't fight the ticket. They were right I could not take off from work to go to court so Id plead guilty by mail and pay the fine. On three different occasions it was the same Cop from highway one in the Bronx. His name was Beaw I'll never forget that SOB. Now I've gotten many a break from LEO 's when I should of got a ticket. But a Cop like Beaw will want to make you hate all COPS he cost me a lot of money when I was not making much back then. But thanks to the good LEO"s

Last edited by carlo; 11-25-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:44 PM
MeanMorningJoe
Advanced

it's all about money and budgets.....

Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain

I'm sure it has nothing to do with you looking like Ookla the Mok! LMAO! Just messin'!

Those two are a-holes, plain and simple.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Get the cops name off the ticket and post it here, badge # if you have it on there, kets see what turns up. Too bad about Tenn, man the south is turning into NYC what the hell is going on? Beautiful country there good people too from my experience.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LEO1969
oK, Been a while since I have posted ~ Sorry for that. But, a couple of days ago I got pulled over while sitting at a red light. ~ I had been pulled over 2 weeks earlier in the same place for my helmet which was a D.O.T certified not some novelty helmet. The 1st time the cop didn't even look at my helmet which was on my handle bars ~ he just said look shut up and take the ticket ~ I don't have to look closer at it ~ you bought the sticker and put it on there. (It is painted on from the factory) ~ So, I took the ticket. 2 weeks later in almost the exact same spot within 500 feet I got pulled over for the same helmet from a different officer ~ I was sitting at a red light waiting for the change and he pulled up beside me and said pull over ~ so I did. When he came up to me I gave him my Insurance , Regist. , and , DL ~ He came back a few minutes later and said I'm writing you for a helmet violation ~ I said sir it has a dot on it and it is a legal helmet. He said the same thing without getting within 10 feet of it that it was a sticker I bought. I didn't argue until he said that ~ then I said why are you hassling me? He got pissed and refused to look at the helmet ~ I told him I had just gotten a ticket for the same thing right there 2 weeks earlier ~ he stopped tore up his ticket and said well this is for your straight pipes ~ ok, he got me ~ but it wasn't what he pulled me over for.

Now, when I was younger I have gotten a couple speeding tickets on my H-D'S like over 100mph ~ but I haven't had a ticket in 12 years. I ride this bike all over Knoxville and even have let a couple cops I know ride it ~ without any trouble questions etc... What gives and does anyone have any advice~ Boy that's a loaded question ~
I guess I'm a dumb **** cause I don't get it. You are stopped at a lite with the helmet "on your bars" and get a ticket for it not being DOT compliant Is TN a helmet state, if so why not a ticket for failure to wear the helmet? If you are at a stop lite with the engine running even I would presume you were riding the bike, but unless the law said it had to be on your head I would think it is no ones business but yours

Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does Tn. have a helmet law?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:36 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea they do and i just read a thread on the Activist section saying that Tn was cracking down on the hlemet law. Ironic.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:53 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like to me the pigs have really nothing to do!!

Quick Reply: Pulled over while sitting still! In Knoxville,TN