Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over while sitting still! In Knoxville,TN

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:52 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to court w/your helmet, and call or write your local papers, explain the situation and see if you can get them to do in investigative report.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Lindsey141
Road Master

I would have to show up in court for that bs. And then after you win file a complaint. and call the newspaper and maybe the local tv stations too.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:13 AM
LEO1969
Cruiser

Now for the record ~ I support our boys in blue for the most part. These two punk kids shot an officer 4 times last year ~ this same officer saved my wife's life when a drunk driver hit her last year. So, I have been on rides to raise money and made donations etc... you get the idea. But , I feel this is some real ckicken **** tatics to hurt people ~ they know it will make my insurance go up etc... In these times we live in aren't things hard enough?? I mean I know I look like a real dirtbag ~ but I was minding my own business not speeding and I have up to date insurance and a squeaky clean driving record ~ now my insurance goes up a percentage etc... Damnit I'm so pissed off ~Freaking ****'s!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Leo: A helmet or exhaust violation is not a moving violation, so, you shouldn't get any points on your license or have your insurance go up.

Straight pipes can catch anyone's attention. I have Rinehart slip ons and they are loud enough for me.

As far as the helmet issue goes, just go to court and plead not guilty. Bring the helmet with you on your initial appearence and the Judge will probably dismiss it right there.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:13 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I would also see about getting something in writting from the helmet mfg that it is dot complaint when you go to court.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty typical if you ask me.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Leo: I was a Trooper in Ohio for 26 years. I started riding my Honda 50 when I was 12 years old and rode most of my life. I never screwed with the guys on bikes, unless they were driving like total morons.

Like I said, on the date for your court appearance, bring the helmet with you, be polite, yes sir, no sir and I can almost guarantee you, the judge will dismiss it.

When it comes to the straight pipes, if that is what you have on your bike, you might have a problem. Go online and look up the state traffic laws for Tennessee and read what it has to say about exhausts. In Ohio, the law on exhausts is quite vague. The law on exhausts is about a page long and goes into decibel readings. We never carried a decibel meter.

In Ohio, it states that a motorcycle shall not have a muffler cut out or bypass and shall be equipped with baffle plates.

Again, it's not a moving violation, so points will not go on your drivers license. But it is the principal of the ordeal.

Sounds like these guys were "profiling" possibly because of your long hair. They were thinking, stolen bike or this guy probably has a warrant on him. Most of the guys I hunt and fish with have long hair and beards, yet they have good jobs, nice families. Well, long hair doesn't fall under probable cause, so I think they were on a fishing expedition.

But, if your pipes are extremely loud, you are definitely going to draw attention.

When I trained my guys, I made it clear that we are out here to do a service to the public, not rape them with chicken schid pinches. To treat people with dignity and respect.

My son got a ticket on the Pa. turnpike for 6 mph over the limit. I didn't believe him at first until I saw the ticket. My limit was 15 over, before I stopped someone for speed.

As with ANY occupation, you are going to have some bad apples.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

none the less i bet knoxville is a heck of a place to ride!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure would suck going to court every two weeks though. Someone has to do something about these cops and their Wyatt Earp attitudes. I'd love to see it not only thrown out of court, but some sort of penalty to every cop who writes an undeserved violation. Because it costs you time and money to go to court, right or wrong. If I had to go to court it would cost me a day's work or a day of leave. Either way, undeserved by me.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 PM
elvis240sx
Intermediate

Thats wild. I have been caught doing stupid things on my Harley by cops before and not pulled over. I was once given a thumbs up while speeding! I borrowed a friends sport bike another time and was pulled over within about 5 miles of taking off.

Quick Reply: Pulled over while sitting still! In Knoxville,TN