Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster dimensions & storage ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 PM
tattooedbones
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster dimensions & storage ideas

Ok, trying to see if a Nightster will fit in my garage in front of my car.
I know the Nightster length is 85.8" but they don't list a width. I'm mostly interested in total width, with the kickstand down. If anyone could give a quick measure, that would be much appreciated.

My idea is to pick up one of these motorcycle dollys and push it to the front of my garage, then pull my car behind it. The picture below is as close to scale as I can get, without having the actual width measurements. Garage space is 20' x 8.5'. SUV is just shy of 16' x 6.5'

It LOOKS like the bike will fit but if anyone has a better idea I'm all ears. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Nightster dimensions & storage ideas-garage.jpg  
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Dango
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say:

Parked with your kickstand = 45"
Parked straight up with a dolly = 36"

Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tattooedbones
Ok, trying to see if a Nightster will fit in my garage in front of my car.
I know the Nightster length is 85.8" but they don't list a width. I'm mostly interested in total width, with the kickstand down. If anyone could give a quick measure, that would be much appreciated.

My idea is to pick up one of these motorcycle dollys and push it to the front of my garage, then pull my car behind it. The picture below is as close to scale as I can get, without having the actual width measurements. Garage space is 20' x 8.5'. SUV is just shy of 16' x 6.5'

It LOOKS like the bike will fit but if anyone has a better idea I'm all ears. Thanks!
Wow - that's a small SUV. My car is just shy of 18' long.

Rather than a dolly, pick up a good MC lift from Sears. You can use it to straighten the bike up for storage or lifting it for maintenance tasks. It's on wheels and quite stable. I have moved both of my bikes with mine and as long as they're not lifted high it's stable enough.

I'm not a fan of parking bikes in front of cars. There are far too many things just waiting to go wrong. Besides, if you're anything like me, you'll take the bike out 10 times more often than the car.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 AM
jambor07
Advanced

I have a standard 2-car garage and am able to park the bike in the very center between the two cars. I've never had a problem with space when I do it that way, and I still had room to build shelves along the wall in front of the cars!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:06 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My Sportster is sitting on the kickstand leaning toward the garage wall. I just measured it. It is 28" from the wall at the foot peg. You can fold it up and shave off another inch or two.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 AM
tattooedbones
6th Gear

Ouch, 45" with kickstand down and 16' of suv is going to leave inches between wall/bike/suv/door hmmm. I have a shed but I'd hate to keep it there. I agree that parking them close is dangerous. If it were up to me, I"d keep the bike in the living room!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
dragpipe
Tourer

a car in a garage??? what will they think of next?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:35 AM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

park the car outside solves everything

Old 11-19-2008, 01:22 PM
F1J1
Tourer

Yep, I'm with Tattooedbones. Bring 'er in the living room. That's where my Sporty is...

Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 PM
hogsport
Road Master

In the winter, I have my 1200C in front of my car ('04 Grand Prix), works fine, but not any excess room. I move it in place w/ a big red M?C jack, put a 2" block under the kickstand. I have a 4 x 4 placed on a marked spot on the gar floor at the front tire, a 48" high indicator board at the front fender and a white tape mark on the rocker panel. I am about 10" from the bike and 4" from the garage door.
During warmer weather, I just keep the Sporty in the garage and the cage outside.

Quick Reply: Nightster dimensions & storage ideas