Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone else have rust probs on there 08?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Jmoney
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone else have rust probs on there 08?

my nightster is rusting in many places i took it to the dealer and they told me "it is the nature of the beast" i wash it alot keep it in my big shed .. just don't think an 08 should have any rust yet... is it just me or are others havein this prob? and what should i do?? 1st harley.... i wash it .. blow dri it and wipe it down whit a micro fiber cloth lol thanks for the input

Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A: Where is the rust?
B: Did you buy it last fall and ride over the winter or did you buy it this spring?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

What kind of shed are you storing it in? Uninsulated/unventilated metal sheds are bad news in the a tropical climate like FL, lots of condensation problems.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try riding a bike on Guam and having it sit outside your flat for a year in Bahrain, then talk rust! You wash it a lot plus the humid climate and I'm guessing the rust is showing up in the rims "divits". Once it starts, it's there; I usu hit any with a brass wire brush then use chrome polish and it's hardly noticeable. Cut back on the washing so much!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should not have rust, do you use a outdoor cover that maybe traps moisture?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Jmoney
Stage IV

no winter here... so no salt (fl)

it has raind almost everyday since i bought the bike so its been in the rain a few times could not help it. my shed is humid and bike is uncoverd, but my point is i have an 03 jap atv that i drive all up in the swamp and alot of times park it with out even washing it and it has less rust then my 6mnth old hd that i try to baby..wtf is it the norm or is my paint job a lemon

Old 11-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Jmoney
Stage IV

is something i can use to slow it down short of soaking it in 10w30 ??? I put my new shorty stgrd's on last night thats when i found alot more spots, thought it was just the rims and the oxidation on the case. I am a little upset maybe ill bring it to another dealer see what they say cuz "its the nature of the beast" is not gonna cut it... at this point ill have to strip it and paint it in a years time....weak

Old 11-05-2008, 01:55 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its rusting on the tins? is the paint chipped or cracked? it shouldnt be rusting on the tank and fenders in this amount of time! are you using a quality wax? there is products you can spray on your bike to seal the chrome and what have you (silicone based).

Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Too much washing.Use some detailer on it and forget it,ride the damn thing.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jmoney
my nightster is rusting in many places i took it to the dealer and they told me "it is the nature of the beast" i wash it alot keep it in my big shed .. just don't think an 08 should have any rust yet... is it just me or are others havein this prob? and what should i do?? 1st harley.... i wash it .. blow dri it and wipe it down whit a micro fiber cloth lol thanks for the input
I live in Jax and keep my '07 outside and uncovered, well, sometimes I park it under a tree. The only rust I have is some of the fasteners that have been hit with a wrench/driver, like where I added a sissy bar and had to mess with the ones on the fender struts, and my brake manifold. Other than that, it's amazing it's in the shape it is. The only thing I do is ride it most every day and keep the paint waxed and the metal polished. I do that about every other month. Now, the POS Screamin' Eagle Mufflers are a different story. They started pitting about 6 months after I installed them. I just hit them with some brass wool and keep the creepin' crud knocked off. They sound good though.. heh.. In Florida, I'm not sold on covers, even vented. I've had 2 top $$ ones over the years and used them on other bikes. They just didn't help, plus cats and other varmints love to live in them. So far, leaving it out in the open has been the most effective for me. Idealy, a nice controlled garage would do it, but it's not what I have.

Good luck. Get some protectact of some sort and apply it bi-monthly. I use MASS and Turtle.

-Andy

Quick Reply: anyone else have rust probs on there 08?