Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone else have rust probs on there 08?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bike has rust on some of the hardware,but that's it...and it's only been washed 5 times in almost 10k miles and is parked in a garage that has terrible insulation

Old 11-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Dameon
Tourer

No, no rust on my bike, except for a couple bolt heads like was said. I use no kind of sealer or anything, once or twice a month I hose it down and polish the pipes, it sits outside in a rubbermaid shed, I ride in the rain and down muddy dirt roads all the time, I'd be pissed if it were rusting. I'd be raising hell if I were you.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM
HDXXX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try not to actually wash my bike, but more into wiping it down. Spray bottle with water, and a wet rag than wipe and dry. Add a little wax when needed.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmoney
no winter here... so no salt (fl)

it has raind almost everyday since i bought the bike so its been in the rain a few times could not help it. my shed is humid and bike is uncoverd, but my point is i have an 03 jap atv that i drive all up in the swamp and alot of times park it with out even washing it and it has less rust then my 6mnth old hd that i try to baby..wtf is it the norm or is my paint job a lemon
Bingo, you're better off parking if outside than leaving it in a humid environment. Either ventilate the shed (that means moving air) or get it outa there.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
cmhull
Intermediate

Well I live in washington state and I have a 08 1200n and the only rust I have on it is where the foot pegs are mounted. And I ride it daily in the rain. Now granted I dont wash it as much as I should to get the road grime off but I am taking it to the car wash this week sometime. Then give it a good was and chrome polish for the winter. It sits out in the weather under a carport which it still gets hit with rain under there.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:32 PM
venable
Cruiser

I have a 2007 Nightster and the only rust spots that I have are around the spokes and brake calipers, very minor. It is kept in the garage and I live in Louisisana, deep south. Talk about humidity........ man

Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
jtaylor
Tourer

When I bought my Nightster I kept it outside I have know garage.I put a cover over it when it would rain noticed bolts were oxidizing and some of the spoke nipples had rust around them.I have never washed the bike I use detailing spray and wipe clean.I now park the bike in the livingroom.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:34 AM
bigboi
Intermediate

99 sportster here in co no rust at all ...thank god for no humidity

Old 11-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Madturbine
Advanced

Just a thought, but are you storing something in your shed that might be corrosive? Pool chemicals like chlorine or acids can cause havoc on anything metal in the same storage area. You may not even smell them and think their containers are air tight, but the results are not good.

I don't think the corrosion you are experiencing is tolerable.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Jmoney
Stage IV

I have an open shed cuz i have yet to install the doors ...no cover and no chems in there just tools ... i think it was a bad primer job im gonna go to another stealer and talk to them see what they say.... i know they wont do sheet but im still gonna bitch to um.. thatnks for the input guys

Quick Reply: anyone else have rust probs on there 08?