Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do u think ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Biptastic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of them say that. I bought my first and second harley from the same dealership. but while i was looking for my second. I went to a different dealership cause i saw a 1200 Custom i really liked. But they kept telling me id get tired of it as well cause of its lack of power and size over a dyna. I went back to MY dealership an they dont really recomened anything to you. If you have questions they'll awnser them. But i was just there this weekend a guy was looking at a new bagger. he had a older model an wanted to see how it rode. The salesman had an 08 himself tossed the guy his keys to take it for a spin. how many sales man will do that!!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silver B: LOL shoulda bought in '90 but I thought it was as high as it would go! Dough! Obviuosly the salesman is trying to make a larger commission but what he said isn't all BS. I own a 01 XL1200C and a 97 FLSTC and for long rides I ride the FL but miss the XL and if I ride the XL I miss the FL (esp in my stenosis/disc ruptured back)! Both provide me equal joy but at different comfort levels depending on the ride. Choose by what you want to do: ride short and fast (short trip/bar hop) or long and hard (tour) and what is comfortable. If budgeting is a factor, wait a while until you can pick something you want vice something you can only afford now.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QS78
Hi all

Im a newbie and considering buying a HD
I went yesterday to our local dealer to see what they can offer me ...

I have had seen the XL 1200C and I liked it .... but he told me, "I'd recommend you to get Dyna Super Glide Custom, as this would be ok when u get used to the bike ... but if u got the XL u might feel its small after a while"

so guys what u think?? is he making a point or just try to sell on me the expensive one !!

I have budget constrain and cant afford the Dyna !!

I'm 6 feet & 187lb

thxxx

5'11" 250# and I have no issue with the Sporty being too small. Money was not a factor in my decision, since I could have paid cash for anything in the showroom.

My other bike is a Honda Goldwing, so I am accustomed to large bikes, as well.

Salesmen, by and large, will always try to put you on the most expensive machine they can. It's how they make money.

Now, if they were as smart as they think they are, they'd sell you the Sporty, treat you real good and then, when you outgrow the Sporty, you'll remember that nice guy and go buy the Dyna from him... Oh, wait, that would require you outgrowing the Sporty *grin*

Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
cpl215
Tourer

If you want a sporty and can't afford a dyna it sounds like the decision is already made.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:52 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

As posted above the slightly used market may open more selection for you.
Most important is to decide what kind of riding you want to do and buy the HD made for that purpose.
If you want someting quick and light and fun the Sporty is the way to go, however if long distance two up interstate type riding is what you will be using it for a BT might suit you better.
Just like GM makes a Corvette and a Cadillac, HD makes a bike for every purpose and you will be happiest with the model that suits your riding style.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Get the Sporty...you won't regret it.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:18 PM
venable
Cruiser

Go with the Sporty, you will not regret it. I would recommend the 1200 for sure though. Good Luck

Old 11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You're pretty much my size. I fit on my Sporty just fine. One thing to think about though, is if yer gonna do a lot of 2up riding. Sportsters have plenty of power for doing that, but it can be a bit cramped.
welcome to the forum, by the way

Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 AM
QS78
Tourer

i dunno how to thank you guys for the help/advice ... it is great to be in such community ...

once i take my decision .. ill post to inform u ....

thnx again ...

Last edited by QS78; 11-06-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure and consider the low mileage used bike market, there's a lot of them out there right now at real good prices.

+1 on that. And I have just the Sporty for ya.....

Shakey

Quick Reply: What do u think ??