Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Shocks on your Sportster.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok i found chrome ones on eBay for 20 bucks.....

the guy happens to be a few cities down from me!

i emailed him asking if i could pay 25 and pick them up in person today instead. ill wait for his response

until then nobody bid on these! hahaha

oh by the way these say they are from 97 to 08, will i be able to bolt them onto my bike???? any info is helpful!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
phatman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JosephGarcia
holy crap those things look GREAT!

do they just bolt right on or do i need some kind of spacers or longer bolts?
I used a few washers to get them spaced out. I started putting them on @ midnight after a few beers so I couldn't run to a hardware store for spacers. the factory bolts were long enough in my application but I'm not sure with your bike.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by phatman
I used a few washers to get them spaced out. I started putting them on @ midnight after a few beers so I couldn't run to a hardware store for spacers. the factory bolts were long enough in my application but I'm not sure with your bike.
with my stock shocks on the threads poke past the shock by about 1/2. the acorn nut fits all the way down and needs two washers to fit tightly to the shock. this sound like enough space to mount the road king shock? its the same on the top and bottom.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:46 PM
phatman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JosephGarcia
with my stock shocks on the threads poke past the shock by about 1/2. the acorn nut fits all the way down and needs two washers to fit tightly to the shock. this sound like enough space to mount the road king shock? its the same on the top and bottom.
You're bike has studs that stick out to mount the shocks? I don't know if that will leave enough room if I understand you correctly. Mine has threaded spots on the top that bolts go in and bolts through the swing arm with a nut at the bottom. I spaced it out on the drive side top and bottom. On top so that the air valve could clear and the bottom so it would clear the belt guard. I used three washers that were about an 1/8" thick each. On the other side I only spaced the top so the air valve could clear, again with three washers. hope this helps....maybe?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:54 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by phatman
You're bike has studs that stick out to mount the shocks? I don't know if that will leave enough room if I understand you correctly. Mine has threaded spots on the top that bolts go in and bolts through the swing arm with a nut at the bottom. I spaced it out on the drive side top and bottom. On top so that the air valve could clear and the bottom so it would clear the belt guard. I used three washers that were about an 1/8" thick each. On the other side I only spaced the top so the air valve could clear, again with three washers. hope this helps....maybe?
alright i checked it the bottom is a bolt and nut, i guess i can replace with a longer one and some spacers if i need to, but the top shock mount on both sides is a stud coming from the frame.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
phatman
Road Captain

Joseph, you might be able to get away with it. The reason I had to space the top is because of the strut cover. You're year might be different. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
63GHIA
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now remember if you are needing them shorter, this can also be done any were from stock 13" to 10"
Contact me and I can let you know were the shop is.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 PM
67ray
Cruiser

Here is a picture of mine! Love them A+++++

Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 AM
ZombyWoof
Advanced
Default Year fits..?

I have a 1989 Sporty. If I go looking for RK shocks, do I need to get ones from as close as possible to my bikes model year?
Thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
mopar
Cruiser

Where are you guys getting your air line and fittings? I have a new streetglide. I bought shocks for it. I'm going to put my takeoffs on the sportster.

Quick Reply: Road King Shocks on your Sportster.....