Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak help, please!

The problem child is a 2003 Sportster 883C. It has about 4500 miles on it. When I started the bike today (it's cold so running it with the choke out), I noticed a nice oil puddle starting under the bike. I had the bike running about 3 minutes, and it grew to the size of about a half dollar. I shut down the engine and began to look around. It is coming from by the oil filter. It is coming from a silver piece under the filter that has a booted electrical cable coming from it. I looked at my Clymer manual (not very helpful in this instance) and it appears to be the "Oil Pressure Switch." I am pretty mechanically inclined, so my question is how much money is this going to set me back, and is this a fairly easy fix. The oil appears to be coming from the boot of the electric cable. I attached photos. Is this common? If I pull the cable off the unit, will oil flow out of it? This put a complete damper on a nice day off riding with friends.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak help, please!-sspx0017.jpg   Oil leak help, please!-sspx0018.jpg  
Old 10-30-2008, 10:22 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure it's not coming from the filter gasket and draining down or from the threaded portion of the switch? In any case you'll need to remove the filter and unscrew the switch unless just removing the regulator will give you sufficient access. If you have spanner similar to the shock spring adjuster all the better. New filter and switch (assuming it is not leaking from the filter seal or the threads of the switch) and some sealant for the threads. shouldn't be that costly for DIY. No need to drain oil as long as done with engine cold and rags for clean-up (some will leak out esp at the filter). NPT threads on switch tube.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
stevevfd
Tourer

It may be coming from the threads of the switch (there is some caked on old oil around there), but the new, wet oil is down by the plug for the electrical wire. So if I get the switch, I could just pull it out on a cold engine (with rags under it), put some thread sealant, and throw it back on there? Either way I'm going to have to put some oil in because I'm low.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:11 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I would clean it all off real good then go for a little ride and be sure of just where your leak is.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
stevevfd
Tourer

Alright I pulled off the old oil pressure switch, and out came about a half cup of oil. I let that drain out, and put in the new one. I added some oil and started her up, and there was no more oil leaking. I think what happened was the old switch was a combination of metal and plastic. I believe the oil was coming out between the outside housing and the inner plastic. Hopefully it's a permanent fix. $14 part btw.