Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought a 2005 1200c

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:05 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a 2005 1200c

i just bought the bike from my cousin..he bought it back in august and had screamin eagle II slip ons from the dealer and they claim to have done a re-jet..but from the day he bought it it has been hicupping quite a bit..he took it back to the dealer twice and they said it was normal(sounds like b/s to me) anyway i want to resolve this problem soon and want to know where to start..what would be a good place to get the proper jet and bypass the dealer..if anyone has a part number of a good jet please send me a link...thanks

Name:  DSC01091.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  55.4 KB

Old 04-03-2006, 11:19 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: just bought a 2005 1200c

Was the air cleaner changed as well? Generally speaking rejets aren't needed or done with just an exhaust/muffler swap. So I'd guess you don't have new jets or a jet kit. Quick way to check...

Go here. Third picture down shows the mixture screw cover being removed. Look on your carb. If cover is present, no rejet has been done. If the cover is missing, the only way to know for sure if its rejetted is to open it up. Stock jets for your bike are 42 slow and 180 main. A rejet would have put a 45 slow in and maybe upped the main jet to a 185 or 190.

Start there and let us know what you find.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

Couple more questions:

When does it cough the most?
A. Really cold air temps
B. Until bike warms-up
C. Only when bike is at operating temp
D. Other

Are you using 92+ octane gas?

On jet kits: You've got 2 main options. You can go with a jet kit like the Dynojet kit here. Or you can just change the jets individually. Indiviual jets are inexpensive and easy to find at any dealer.

If you go with a jet kit, all the guess work is taken out of the process. It'll cost more but you get a new needle, new jets, springs, and detailed instructions to get things right based on your bike's setup. If you change the setup, add a new air cleaner, etc, there are extra jets to adjust as necessary. So it provides room to grow. Expect to pay $50-100.

If you go with individual jets, start with a 45 slow jet and 3.5 turns on the mixture. That should be close. You most likely don't need to change the main jet. Going this route is trial and error. It'll work. You'll get improvements. Expect to pay under $10 but you'll need to get new jets down the road as your setup changes.

Check out the other links in the DIY section. There is a lot of good ideas and help there.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 AM
aceospades
Road Warrior

i need to check to see if the plug is popped out..ill look at it tommorow,as far as the popping goes it definitley does it until it warms up.but will still do it when its at operating temp every so often..i am running 93 octane fuel in it..the air filter is definitly changed the dealer gave him all the stock parts back when it was new..i was thinking even if the air/fuel mixture plug is removed it really doesnt mean its been jetted..they could have drilled the plug out and just tryed to fatten up the mixture some..thankyou for the replies..ill let you know what the turnout is..

Old 04-04-2006, 01:14 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

nice ride welcome to the forum!

Old 04-04-2006, 11:59 AM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

They changed the main and low jets on my 1200C when I had it stage I. Rode it home in 35 degree weather and it ran like a raped ape. No chugging or popping or backfiring. I couldn't believe the difference in performance.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:03 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

Rolling the throttle revving the engine and normal operation should not cause coughing or spitting.....unless its colder outside. Generally speaking, Sporties just don't like cold weather. But not everyone seems to experience this so I won't say all of them do (like LOTHAR for example). Something else to keep in mind is NOT testing for coughing by snapping the throttle a few times repeatedly/quickly like you hear people do at stop lights. This will flood the carb and create an unnatural rich condition; causing coughing.

If they did change the air cleaner then most likely they did the rejet. Assuming it's rejetted (and there are no other reasons for the popping/coughing), here's something to try:

- Turn the mixture screw all the way in until it seats (without forcing it). Then come back out 3.5 turns. Run the bike and see if its better. If its not, come out another .5 turn (totalling 4). If it runs the same or a little better, your slow jet is too small. You'll need to open the carb to see what's in there. If its 42, go 45, if 45, go 48. Reset the mix screw to 3.5 turns and all should be good.

- Check with your cousin to see if when they rejetted it, if they gave him the extra kit parts. Dynojets come with an adjustable needle. That's another place you can make some changes.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:33 AM
aceospades
Road Warrior

it seems to do it anytime,i do have a habit of reving it up at lights but it does it even when i dont rev it..im almost afraid to pull out of streets because im afraid it will stutter and i will get wacked by a car..anyway i have an appointment at the dealer on thursday they will hopefully resolve it..it is under warranty and they are the only ones who have worked on the engine..my cousin added all the chrome bolt ons..thanks fro all the suggestions..ill let you know how i make out..

Old 04-05-2006, 01:26 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the bike. Have you tried taking it to an independant mechanic in the area to see what they think?

Old 04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

Cool. Hope the warranty covers it and its an easy fix.

Quick Reply: just bought a 2005 1200c