Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative choke control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternative choke control?

My xl came with excellent controls and ergos with the exception of the choke control. The bike cranks quickly and smooths out in seconds--ready to ride off. Then the contortions begin: pull clutch in with left hand, reach across-over-down with right hand to push in choke, engage first gear, reach across-over-down with right hand to adjust choke, and ride away. Yes, you can just grind into first gear or wait ten minutes for the motor to warm up. But, I don't want to take either of those options. Does anyone make a right side choke control?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

This is how I used my choke when I had my Sportster.
1. Pull the choke all the way out, start the bike.
2. Return the choke half way after 2 miles, it also depends on how cold the weather is.
3. Ride my bike until the rear rocker cover gets warm, push the choke in.
You can do this while you are riding, do you still need the choke **** on the right?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I can't figure out why there should be any need to use the right hand for the choke.

Step:
1 - Pull choke full out.
2 - Start bike and use star wheel to lock the throttle at a fast idle.
3 - After about 30 seconds or so push choke in 1/2 way.
4 - Let bike run at fast idle & 1/2 choke till rear cylinder is just warm to touch.
5 - Loosen star wheel, back to normal idle and put in 1st gear.
6 - Ride 1-2 miles and then use left hand to push choke fully in. You can do this between shifts when you are not busy with the clutch.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

The bike shifts easily into first gear with the choke pushed in. But, your left hand is operating the clutch. You need to pull the choke back out before riding away. That is the essence of the problem. Maybe the tranny will get smoother with more mileage, but it doesn't want to slide into first gear crisply until it gets fully warmed up. The slower the idle, the better it shifts when cold.

I've seen bikes with all sorts of choke controls. Anyone have a handlebar control or a mount on the right side of the bike?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I'm not seeing the issue. Then again I havent ridden a metric bike in years... what you are looking for is a perfect example of metric engineering. what's next? turn signals switch only on the left handlebar? lol

Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's that big of a deal, just make a bracket to mount it on the right side somewhere. The cable will still work in a curve shape, but don't kink it.

Oh, and I disagree with cHarley, as well as others, on the use of the throttle lock for warm up, but it's one of those "Different Strokes for differernt folks" things. A properly adjusted choke cable tension nut works wonders. I rarely even touch the choke after pulling it out on start up, as it slowly slides back in on it's own as the engine warms up.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dear god, dude dont you think you should take your hand off the clutch and just push in the choke??

the answer is so obvious hahaha

i never even use the choke, it starts up great and i use the throttle lock to keep a high idle. you should try it it keeps your plugs cleaner

Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master

I'm sure that God can release the clutch in gear without moving, but it is a challenge that is beyond us mere mortals. However, two things are now clear to me. Why Harley went to fuel injection, and why some bikers have no front teeth.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 PM
VampyreByte
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a problem with my choke. I don't know why you'd have to adjust choke while shifting into gears.
All I've ever done is pull the choke all the way out to start up (mine won't start otherwise unless its already warm), then as i'm driving it pulls itself back in as it warms up. Just need to adjust the lock nut correctly.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Kski
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a relatively new rider, only been riding since March, but I don't see a problem with the choke being where it is. Then again this is my first bike so I haven't built up habits from other bikes or anything weird like that. If it's colder I'll just start it at full choke then I push it in halfway for a few minute warm up then push it in all the way after a couple minutes on the road. Hopefully I'm not fouling out my plugs (maybe I should check) but that's the way I do it. I'd like to adjust mine to go back in automatically, that must be nice.

Quick Reply: Alternative choke control?