Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative choke control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BWLucky13
I'm sure that God can release the clutch in gear without moving, but it is a challenge that is beyond us mere mortals. However, two things are now clear to me. Why Harley went to fuel injection, and why some bikers have no front teeth.
but see if you were using your bike the right way you wouldnt have to try to release the clutch in gear without moving..

just pull the choke out, start the bike, push the choke in, use the star screw on the throttle to hold a 1500 rpm idle for at least 30 seconds to a minute, than ride away, but go easy on the throttle for a mile or two, try to gun it hard and it will cough, but nothing major.

this is the actual process to start the bike, which is why im confused about why your trying to pull the choke and in and and in and out while holding the clutch in and trying to ride and trying to use your other hand, just doesnt make sense.

do you fill up your tank while sitting on the bike as well?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:16 PM
hincheec
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was taught not to ride the motorcycle with the choke out, so I warm mine up before I go. Start it with the choke full out, a few minutes later, halfway in, a few minutes later, all the way in. Get on bike, ride.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:36 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephGarcia
but see if you were using your bike the right way you wouldnt have to try to release the clutch in gear without moving..

just pull the choke out, start the bike, push the choke in, use the star screw on the throttle to hold a 1500 rpm idle for at least 30 seconds to a minute, than ride away, but go easy on the throttle for a mile or two, try to gun it hard and it will cough, but nothing major.

this is the actual process to start the bike, which is why im confused about why your trying to pull the choke and in and and in and out while holding the clutch in and trying to ride and trying to use your other hand, just doesnt make sense.

do you fill up your tank while sitting on the bike as well?
Sorry Joe, but you are wrong. Here's a quote from the "Owner's manual" for proper warm up & Choke "Use" from a thread just a couple months ago:
Originally Posted by Pitts2112
Well, let's see. I just happen to have the old manual right here next to the computer

Outside Air Temp lower than 60 degrees F:
Enrichener fully out
15-30 second warmup at standstill
Ride for 3 minutes or 2 miles
Push enrichener halfway in
Ride for 2 minutes or 2 miles
**** in and you're off (as the old saying goes)

Outside Air Temp warmer than 60 degrees F:
Enrichener fully out
15-30 second warmup at standstill
Ride for 1 minute or 1/2 mile
Push enrichener halfway in
Ride for 1 minute or 1/2 mile
**** in and you're off (as the old saying still goes)

Seems to pretty much do the job.
Just pointing out the facts. And I swear, if you have the tension screw set just right, you don't even need to touch the choke as it will slide back in on it's own as you ride off. Oh, and show me some evidence that using your method keeps the plugs cleaner.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 PM
hogsport
Road Master

Like VHog, I simply follow the directions in the manual. - cold mornings do require a twist or two of the throttle first though.

I think BW is trying to slow the idle before shifting into 1st to try to avoid the grinding of gently going into 1st from neutral. I think the best is to give the shifter a solid spank and not worry about it.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Sorry Joe, but you are wrong. Here's a quote from the "Owner's manual" for proper warm up & Choke "Use" from a thread just a couple months ago:

Just pointing out the facts. And I swear, if you have the tension screw set just right, you don't even need to touch the choke as it will slide back in on it's own as you ride off. Oh, and show me some evidence that using your method keeps the plugs cleaner.
i think peoples personal experiences speak more than the manual, which according to a lot of threads here, has given some very strange specs that dont work in real world situations. such as oil level and shift points among some torque values, the specs in the manual don't seem to work so much in the real world, strange right?

i dont see the advantages of riding around on a really rich fuel mixture except to get the motor firing for the first few seconds. then just keep a high idle with the regular mixture to warm it up.

if you can defend why anyone needs to have the choke out at all except just to get it started then i will have to accept that. but there is no reason why you should flood your motor, which is trying to WARM up, with excess COLD gas inside the cylinder, it slows the warm up process and can foul your plugs quicker.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

zhit i been spanking in First gear since new

talking off spanking
something is wrong here!!!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay First step is to read owners manual. Does a real good job of explaining the sequence. It really does work. In my case I do this.
1. Open shop/garage doors.
2. Put key in ignition and turn on.
3. Turn fuel valve to on/run position and pull enrichener **** out. (being politically correct here, they don't call it a choke)
4. Twist throttle 2 or 3 times and push starter switch.
5. Bikes starts.
6. Several seconds later I engage clutch, shift to first and ease the sporty, or dyna out of storage.
7. Put bike in neutral and slide the **** in until you hear the familiar "giddyup" ( think you will find it is half out.
8. Close shop/garage doors. Open gate. Sit on bike. Engage 1st gear and ease out driveway
9. Turn or whatever and ride, if it is open road with no lights or stop signs reach down when convienient and push the kob in. If not, wait a light or two and the do it.
10. Listen to the engine it will tell you what it needs.

Sorry but this really is a no brainer and if I have po someone, sorry, but geez guys.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM
750rebel
4th Gear

-pull the choke while starting
-NEVER have it out while riding

just my 2 cents...

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM
bharvey60
Cruiser

Pull the choke, start the bike, warm 30 seconds, ride off, gentle on the throttle, forget about the choke. It goes in on its own. All there is to it...

Old 10-29-2008, 08:44 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephGarcia
but see if you were using your bike the right way
Joe.....I'm not trying to get into a pi$$ing match with you about how you use "your" choke, but your trying to tell another guy that he's using his wrong when he's not. He's just trying to ease his bike into 1st gear before the engine is warmed instead of just clunking it into gear like the majority of us do. Hell, I even pointed out that I disagree with cHarley using a variation of throttle lock & choke, but that it was a matter of different strokes for different folks. I also pointed out that you do not even need to touch the choke again after start up if you have a properly set tension nut on the choke & that the choke **** will slide back in on it's own as the engine warms. Using the throttle lock to warm up the bike is increasing the engine rpm before the oil is pumping & warm enough to really flow efficiently, which I feel is worse on the rings & heads than burning up a plug, (which has never happened in the 8 years with this bike). I've only switched plugs one time & that was during my 1200 conversion. I'll just agree to disagree.....

Last edited by WVHogRider; 10-29-2008 at 08:48 AM.