Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance co wants to total the Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Insurance co wants to total the Sporty

A bit of background info-

A week ago tonight I was rear ended on my '05 XL1200C at a stop sign a few hundred yards from my house. There was damage to the rear fender and left side of the bike in various areas that I listed on other posts.

Earlier today I called a lawyer's office. They specialize in motor vehicle cases. They set up an appointment for Wednesday and told me not to speak with the other drivers insurance company. Not more than an hour later I heard from the insurance adjuster who looked the bike over last week. They received an estimate from the stealership in the amount of $3600+ dollars. That doesn't include the seat, and possible frame or handlebar damage. He said they would likely want to total the bike due to the amount of damages and that he would get back to me with an offer. I mentioned that I had an appointment with a lawyer on Wednesday.

I don't remember his exact words, but he mentioned something about settling without the lawyer's involvement. I simply told him that I wanted advice before proceeding and had scheduled the appt. Within about 30 minutes he had called back. Heeding the lawyers advice I let the call go to voicemail. His message basically said that "Yes, after consulting with another motorcycle adjuster, they wanted to total the bike and would I call him". When I got home there was another missed call from him on the caller ID.

What I'm really wondering at this point is how this whole process works. The Kelley Blue Book value of the bike is $7500, but I have a lot of HD add-ons installed. Some of them are listed in the estimate from the dealership, some aren't. In fact I totalled up about $850+ that aren't mentioned. If the bike is totalled, what happens to the add-ons?? Are they factored into the settlement or do I have to try to resell them?? BTW in Pennsylvania if they total the bike it must be registered as a salvage vehicle which pretty much destroys the resale value.

What concerns me more is the fact that I owe a pretty good amount on the bike. I don't want to end up with no bike, a paid off loan and maybe a couple of thousand in my pocket. I really want to have a decent down payment on a new ride and maybe a few bucks left over...I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had to deal with a similar situation. I do plan to move from the Sporty to a BT, probably a Dyna.

P.S. I have what might be considered soft tissue damage - bumps and bruises with no major damage. I'm basically stiff and sore and have been taking it easy since the incident.

Attached Thumbnails Insurance co wants to total the Sporty-wreck_21.jpg   Insurance co wants to total the Sporty-wreck_02.jpg  

Last edited by gilmour68; 10-27-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Depending on the company, they will prob total the bike for the amount owed. Some companies will take into account acessories if you raise a stink about them (know this from experience)
Stick to your guns, and you'll make out fine

Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
cpl215
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with an attorney, make sure he only gets paid if you get paid. He will go to work on a settlement. You can get your bike paid off, and several thousand for your trouble and pain. Don't commit fraud by making your injuries out to be something they are not, just be honest and let the attorney do all the work. Keep all your medical bills so they will be paid too. The insurance company will try to put the screws to you but an attorney will see that doesn't happen. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Just a suggestion, next time around, find an insurance company that lets you insure the bike for X amount of additional dollars above and beyond the book value to cover added accessories. It's not very hard to have 2K-3K $$ in addons especially if you add the price of labor for the installation of the extras to the tab.

Stick with your lawyer.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
goinsideways136
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i totalled my bike last summer and the damage with labor was 5800 dollars. i layed it down on the glenn highway in alaska hydroplanning in a water filled rut. the bike is "totalled" at 5 grand. well the bike was worth what i paid for it 9500 dollars and i had put about 3 grand down on it so i owed about 7 and they gave me the 5800 dollars and it is now a resalvaged title but i kept the bike and used the money to pay it off. i fixed the bike in the garage for less than a 1000 and is better than new. now i have a 2008 nightster and i only owe 700 on it and it looks outstanding. if i was you i would keep it depending how much work you can do. the insurance would have paid the bike off and i would have ended up with around 1000 dollars if i would have actually salvaged it. no way i was losing money so i kept it. also my insurance covered up to a 1000 dollars in aftermarket and i did get that money back. hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was in a Pont Fierro going to work one day and got run over by a big dump truck... Claim he didn't see me!.. I was able to crawl out of the wreck and didn't have any obvious injuries. Truck driver was issured a ticket for assured clear distance, failure of rightaway, and neglectful operation.

Got home, called a lawyer and "my auto insurance co".... Insurance co called back, told me an adjuster would be by the dealership to est car, Lawyer actually sent a rep to my house, ordered me to visit my family doctor, get a physical and then see a chriopractor <----(Missspelled I'm sure).. Said to collect the bills etc. Insurance co calls back, wants to total car for settlement... told them about the lawyer and they flat out said the repair/replacement of the vehicle had nothing at all to do with the lawyers actions and would not effect any lawful actions on their behalf.

Fast forward, several more referials from one doctor to another, and I kept all the visits and bills as told by the lawyer.

End of story, a settlement was reached, truck driver's company settle for the bluebook replacement value of my Fierro, paid all doctor bills, lawyer received 9000.00, and I received only 3000.00 and of course the book value of my car which was "almost" the loan balance! Hence, book value + 1500 of my settlement paid off my loan... I ended up with a paid off loan, and just 1500.00 and it took 3 months for all this to happen!... Oh yes the truck driver was fined 200.00 and court cost.

Hang in there! Could take awhile for a settlement from the lawyer!! BTW although you were not at fault, you may have to pay more for bike insurance!!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:15 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy it back and build a bobber. If the motor and most other parts are good, it's a damn shame to let it all go to waste.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 AM
bbaz100
Cruiser
Default Not legal

BTW although you were not at fault, you may have to pay more for bike insurance

Old 10-28-2008, 01:44 AM
bbaz100
Cruiser

Try again at posting. A not at fault accident will not affect your insurance. DOI from each state will not allow this to affect rates. Mack sure you have the proof, an check discounts.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbaz100
Try again at posting. A not at fault accident will not affect your insurance. DOI from each state will not allow this to affect rates. Mack sure you have the proof, an check discounts.
I did say "may" in my post... Insurance is on the rise now even without accidents and without a doubt, insurance will "probably" never go down in cost. Insurance cost is based on more then just good driving records, credibility is considered and just the simple fact that an accident occured and even if not at fault, it is looked at and considered when making and giving quotes.... at least that's how we do it at Progressive. Here in OHio

Quick Reply: Insurance co wants to total the Sporty