Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Problem wth The Sportster...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:16 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First Problem wth The Sportster...

2005... 1200

Pretty sure I got a bad crank sensor... at least thats what the codes are telling me...

When it gets to operating temp she goes to missing... don't want to rev up over idle...

Done the whole fuel system thing...

Anyway... over three years and 30k... the first problem I had with it...

POS... huh?

Sure enough... bad sensor... she be running like a spotted a$$ed ape again... ;-)

Charlie D.

Last edited by dbleagle; 11-02-2008 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Got the Sensor...
Old 10-26-2008, 06:06 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

2006 883L

The bike was purchased new in June 2006. From day 1, it had an intermittent problem. Occasionally, when it was ridden in warm weather and motor was warmed up, it would cough/fart thru the carb when trying to start up from a stop light. To keep the bike from dieing at lights, you had to keep twisting the throttle. Accelerating hard, there was a flat-spot where the bike would just limp along for quite a while before taking off.

We took the bike back to the dealer and he explained that HD sets these bikes far too lean in order to meet EPA standards. He rejetted the carb – replacing the low speed jet with a #48 jet. (Stock is a #42.) He did not drill out the plug for the mixture screw, so I know he did not adjust that.

The bike ran okay for a short time, but then the same intermittent issues started again. I installed the SE intake/breather in the spring of 2007. The bike ran fine all 2007, so I assumed installing the SE intake had solved the problem.

Fast forward to 2008, and the same intermittent cough/fart thru the carb starts again, and all the other symptoms. I took the carb apart and found no crud and no obvious problems. I put in a #45 low speed jet, drilled out the mixture plug, and set the mixture screw 2 ¾ turns out. This made no improvement and all the issues were still there.

I tore carb apart again. Replaced the needle and spring with the needle and spring from a Dynojet kit. (I did not drill out the hole in the slide.) I put the needle c-clip in the 4th slot from the top and put in 3 washers. I also replaced the breather washer that had come with the SE intake kit with a couple washers that were a little thinner. (The washers in the SE intake kit were slightly thicker than 1/8” - .137”. I replaced them with washer that were slightly thinner than 1/8”) I thought this would allow the carb to fit a little tighter in the gasket between carb and manifold, perhaps giving a better seal.

At the same time, I replaced the crank position sensor because I had heard of similar issues to mine being caused by a bad crank position sensor.

After all these changes, the bike appeared to be running absolutely flawlessly. Now the question was, did the mods to the carb solve the problem or was it a bad crank position sensor??? I ran the bike a few more days to make sure the intermittent problem is really gone. Then I put the original crank position sensor back in and ran it for a while. Sure enough, the intermittent problems returned when the bike was hot. I put the new sensor back in and it has run flawlessly all season. Conclusion – Crank Position Sensor was the culprit!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rh8234
2006 883L
Now the question was, did the mods to the carb solve the problem or was it a bad crank position sensor???

well true diagnosing is the only "right" way to find a problem but sometimes at home we don't have everything we need to do that. With that in mind, in the future if you have more than one suspicion do ONE thing at a time.......and probably start with the easiest thing first

Glad to hear it is fixed

Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Bad crank position sensors seem to be pretty common lately. They also pretty reliably will latch a P0373 or P0374 diagnostic code on 04up models so it's not to hard to diagnose. The smart move is to always check for stored diag codes before tearing things apart.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It is a common prob. Reminds me I've been meaning to pick up one so I'll have a spare handy.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Randall S.
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP!!! 2006 Sportster xlc custom carburated--- I bought a security system from H.D. dealer on line-installed it as the directions stated-(replaced the turn signal module with new security module) set up and coded the module and installed the manual disarm code. The key fob works as designed by arming and disarming the system but the engine will not stay running. It starts then stalls and sets a ecm code p1009 incorrect password. How can I correct this?? Can it be done without going to the dealer??

Old 10-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Randall S.
2nd Gear
Default HELP!! Security system problems

2006 Sportster custom--I purchased and installed a factory HD security system. I set the manual default code and matched the remote to the bike. The system will arm and disarm. The system works when it senses movement and cycles the lights as designed. The problem is the engine wont stay running. It is a start/stall condition with a ECM code of p1009(incorrcet password). Has anyone had this before. How can I repair it? Or does it have to go to the dealer to get set up. If anyone can help I would be greatful

Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 PM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
It is a common prob. Reminds me I've been meaning to pick up one so I'll have a spare handy.
The parts guy at H-D said he has only sold two in the last several years... thats why he doesn't stock one....

I told him he might check the hd forums... he could probably sell a bunch more...

Go figure...

Charlie D.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Randall S.
2nd Gear
Default Problem solved

I'm glad to say its fixed. Turns out its a normal condition for adding almost any electrical part or replacment part to the Harley bikes. So here is the "learning Procedure" for the ECM to recognize any newly added electrical components.
Check out this link, it will solve the problem without going to the dealership for service.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...yingnewTSM.jpg

Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dbleagle
The parts guy at H-D said he has only sold two in the last several years... thats why he doesn't stock one....

I told him he might check the hd forums... he could probably sell a bunch more...

Go figure...

Charlie D.
My parts guy gave me the same bull - only sold one or two in over a year. Funny thing I noticed though is that there seemed to have been several re-designs of this part since 2001. That tells me they probably have had trouble with them. For example, the 2006 parts manual lists the crank position sensor as part number 32707-01B. When I purchased the new one, the "B" part wasn't available and they now sell 32407-01C. The "C" indicates that it is the third version of this sensor. What was wrong with the "A", and "B" versions??? My guess is that the sensors were problematic and were redesigned.

Incidentally, no ECM codes were thrown when this bike was running poorly. There was nothing to indicate it could be a crank position sensor problem. I replaced in on a hunch after reading of similar problems on other boards, so obviously, other people have had similar problems.