Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's a Sportster for me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Chips
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile It's a Sportster for me!

I sometimes read posts about riders who 'move up' to a BT.
I went on the local HD ride and tried-out 3 different bikes.

I came away happier than ever with my Sportster....fits me and my riding style to a "T".

Got the bike the way I want it...seat...pipes...bags..wind shield..gps. Who could ask for anything more?

65 000 km and in no hurry to changd....love my Harley Davidson Sportster

http://cwedge.smugmug.com/gallery/80...597_rtEaN-O-LB

Old 10-24-2008, 11:10 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

That's what I have said for years,ain't nothing wrong with a Sportster!I have talked to guys that apolagise for having a Sportster when I am out on some bigger bikes and we are talking,it's usally along the lines of that's all I could afford,I don't want to sound like a bragart but I could afford any bike I want and I have a Sportster.Glad your happy with yours too!!How about some pics?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Chips
Road Warrior
Default pic 4 u

Originally Posted by FastHoss
That's what I have said for years,ain't nothing wrong with a Sportster!I have talked to guys that apolagise for having a Sportster when I am out on some bigger bikes and we are talking,it's usally along the lines of that's all I could afford,I don't want to sound like a bragart but I could afford any bike I want and I have a Sportster.Glad your happy with yours too!!How about some pics?

pic of my Sportster? Sure thing.

here it is....

http://www.cwedge.smugmug.com/galler...597_rtEaN-O-LB

Old 10-24-2008, 11:27 AM
dcmassena
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same with me. I used to ride my brother-in-law's Heritage around now and then, so when it came time for me to buy I rode a super glide custom and a heritage and a nightster. I think that for a long trip the heritage would be a bit more comfortable, but 90% of my driving is around town and commuting to work and back (20 miles each way). The nightster was a lot more fun to ride around, so that's what I got.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ride whatever floats your boat, and don't worry about what others prefer....

I currently own 6 different Harley's (ranging from hardtail Panhead Chopper to Road King) and enjoy them all...

Every model has it's strong points, and it's weak points as well...

I like variety though, and like having the option of riding a different model depending on conditions and what I plan on doing..

Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Sportster fits my aggressive riding style, if I have to choose one, still a softail or buy a few more like OFG.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM
kelton3
Tourer
Default curious to know what gps you use

I'm just installing a Quest 2. I ordered a "Powerlet" sae plug/cigarette socket that will attach to my Battery Tender sae wire. Then I'll run the Quest factory cable from there. Is your gps hooked up?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FastHoss
That's what I have said for years,ain't nothing wrong with a Sportster!I have talked to guys that apolagise for having a Sportster when I am out on some bigger bikes and we are talking,it's usally along the lines of that's all I could afford,I don't want to sound like a bragart but I could afford any bike I want and I have a Sportster.
When I was about to buy my Sportster my neighbors were telling me that I wouldn't be happy and that I'd be trading up within a year. I had actually planned on getting a Softail Deluxe in a year and giving my Sportster to my wife. I bought it as more of a commuter bike than a long distance mule. But after 4 months of riding it, I'm not planning on getting the Softail anymore. The Sportster is EXACTLY what I need. I've got a windshield and bags are going on this weekend. All I need is some new shocks and a softer seat, and I won't have any problems doing some long hauls in the future. I'm now planning on getting another Sportster instead of the Softail. I'll get a used 1200 this time though.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Chips
Road Warrior
Default my set-up

Originally Posted by kelton3
I'm just installing a Quest 2. I ordered a "Powerlet" sae plug/cigarette socket that will attach to my Battery Tender sae wire. Then I'll run the Quest factory cable from there. Is your gps hooked up?
I'm using the Garmin Nuvi 260....It is made for a car.
I contacted the Garmin Company and asked if I could use it on my bike using the Ram mount. They answered; "Over a period of time, you may notice some problems develop because it is not made for a motorcycle."

Recently, a rider posted; "I've been using one on my bike for 3 years and not a problem."

So far...it works like a charm on my Sportster and in the car. ( Three times, it's fallen off the dash in my car...hit the gear shift and landed on the passenger-side floor.)
Looks like it 'can take a licken' an' keep on tickin'."

I use a Ram mount with the 'lighter', directly behind it and tethered to the winshield mount.
The wire had to be extended 'spliced' to add length. The wire is now long enough to run under the tank and seat...and connect to the battery tender sae wire. ( even that is hidden under the battery cover.)
It's a 'clean' set-up. I'd send a photo but my camera just had a metal-breakdown.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved my Sportster, wish my wife would let me have two bikes.

Attached Thumbnails It's a Sportster for me!-jun27_0005.jpg  

Quick Reply: It's a Sportster for me!