Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your wheel bearings!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 AM
tennmoto
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Check your wheel bearings!

I had my 04 1200R in for a tire replacement because I got a screw in it. The service manager told me the rear bearing was almost seized! The sporty has 6500 miles and it cost another $90. He told me the company would cover it if it was over $100. I waited a week to see if he would reply to my email request for HD to cover the cost but no reply.
Being in construction money is not plentiful so I.m a little pissed.

steve

Old 10-23-2008, 06:42 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That's a short life for wheel bearings. You don't wash your bike with a pressure washer do you?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:49 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Thinking the same thing, pressure washer. Timkin bearings should be good for 80-100K miles unless you force water in them. Also, an 04 with 6500 miles = like 1500 miles per year. Has the bike been in storage? I also wonder if it's a case of the axle seized to the bearing, that's pretty common as the factory doesn't put any grease or anti seize on the axle.

Last edited by cHarley; 10-23-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Overwash, sandy climate, or live too close to the ocean. I change my bearings and brake pads with every tire change wether they "need" it or not. Grease or anti-sieze would make no difference as they both harden up with time and add to the clearances between axle and inner race. Just say No to pressure washes!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by robzuc97
Overwash, sandy climate, or live too close to the ocean. I change my bearings and brake pads with every tire change wether they "need" it or not.
Wow talk about overkill.

Grease or anti-sieze would make no difference as they both harden up with time and add to the clearances between axle and inner race. Just say No to pressure washes!
Sorry, but that statement is total BS. Any competent bike wrench would tell you differently. The first time I pulled the rear axle at 10K miles it had to be beat out with a hammer and then the axle had to be resurfaced. I reinstalled with anti seize and have never had the problem again. The anti seize does not harden with time.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:01 PM
tennmoto
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking bearings

I bought the roadster with 4500 miles, now it has 7500, in 2 months.
Doesn't see water, much and definitely not a pressure washer.
its OK we'll check it again next tire.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had both front and rear bearings replaced (under warranty).I don't use pressure washers for that reason.According to my dealer this problem is more common than it should be.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 AM
deewright
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my sporty from 1000 miles.
Back to the Stealership for "Ruby,s" 5000 service. First and last time i ever do that.
I took her for the 10000 mlile service to "Nij" my indy, costs the same, but the service is a SERVICE!!!
Front Wheel off, all Fluids changed, then to the back wheel.
Yes, guess what couldnt get the spindle out, after 24hrs of Anti Seize, he managed to remove the rear wheel. NO GREASE, that was the problem.
He told me they are shipped over to the UK that way, so why had the Stealership not bothered to correct this?
Not sure washing your bike will cause the problem. I think HD are to blame.
Every service, he does the same on all HD,s, and the bearings last forever!
Dee.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Sorry, but that statement is total BS. Any competent bike wrench would tell you differently. The first time I pulled the rear axle at 10K miles it had to be beat out with a hammer and then the axle had to be resurfaced. I reinstalled with anti seize and have never had the problem again. The anti seize does not harden with time.
Same here, but my Indy was doing the work. HD should be lubing these at the factory assembly line.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
The Communist
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably a set of faulty bearings...
I had a bad set put in on a buell blast that i used to ride and as i was driving down the highway at 65 the bearings litterally exploded out of the rear wheel and i was just riding on the axle. that was certainly an interesting experience when the rear wheel is kinda free floating around. When i called HD about bringing it in and they asked what the problem was i told them "well...the rear bearings exploded" the tech that i was talking to was skeptical and said "okay...i dunno what you mean by that but bring it in"
as soon as the bike was brought in i had a tech come up and look at it saying "damn those bearings exploded"
I had to get a brand new rear wheel because it got destroyed, but HD took care of everything free of charge..they even got the wheel shipped over night.

Quick Reply: Check your wheel bearings!