Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How wide can I go on the back tire for Sporty.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 PM
wardvsmith
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How wide can I go on the back tire for Sporty.

Apologies if you've seen this post in other section, I'm trying to learn how to use it. I'm wondering how fat I can go on a Sporty using a chain and sprocket. The rear wheel is 4" x 16"
Thanks,

Old 10-23-2008, 06:56 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Using the stock frame & swing arm, I think you can only go to like a 160 even if you swap to a chain due to clearance issues up under the fender, (turn signal & strut bolts).

Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Using the stock frame & swing arm, I think you can only go to like a 160 even if you swap to a chain due to clearance issues up under the fender, (turn signal & strut bolts).
Just for some info WV there are different types of bolts that can be used.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:37 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a 160 Metz that fit perfectly on the stock swing arm with no mods needed....HogPro recommeneded setup. Check them out.... www.hogpro.com

Old 10-24-2008, 09:12 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Just for some info WV there are different types of bolts that can be used.

True, but I was basing it on stock frame/swingarm/bolts & only changing to a chain.

There's a number of factors he'll need to check, but a 160 is "about" the largest you can really go. Clearance for the wires leading to the signals need to be checked. Also, there is a slight difference in tire/fender clearance from one side of the fender to the other. The difference is hardly noticable, but it's there. When I swapped to a 160, I had about 1/8th" of clearance on the left (shifter side) and about 1/4" on the other between the bolts/wires to the tire. Also, I'm not sure if he swapped out his signals which would be a factor in switching to the bolts that you posted. I swapped my signals out to bullets and my wires actually go through the center of the mounting bolt......So I would be unable to use the bolts you show to gain any clearance unless I drilled the center of those out. Just pointing out some of the factors other than the chain swap idea that go into going bigger.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
True, but I was basing it on stock frame/swingarm/bolts & only changing to a chain.

There's a number of factors he'll need to check, but a 160 is "about" the largest you can really go. Clearance for the wires leading to the signals need to be checked. Also, there is a slight difference in tire/fender clearance from one side of the fender to the other. The difference is hardly noticable, but it's there. When I swapped to a 160, I had about 1/8th" of clearance on the left (shifter side) and about 1/4" on the other between the bolts/wires to the tire. Also, I'm not sure if he swapped out his signals which would be a factor in switching to the bolts that you posted. I swapped my signals out to bullets and my wires actually go through the center of the mounting bolt......So I would be unable to use the bolts you show to gain any clearance unless I drilled the center of those out. Just pointing out some of the factors other than the chain swap idea that go into going bigger.