Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile dealer service...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 AM
BIGschwerm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 mile dealer service...

so was time for the ole 1000 mile service called around for some prices at the local indy shops all around $220 with reg oil and $235 with synthetic called the dealer where i bought it from last just to check and low and behold talked to the service manager $207 (tax included) and thats with synthetic i know its Syn3 but to tell the truth i think the bike shifts a little easier now and dont have to hunt for neutral as much anymore and shifts alot smoother. Pretty satisfied with there work to...i made sure the tire pressures were wrong and a few other small things just to see what kind of work they done....they passed the test for sure...the tech came out side with his checklist and went over everything that he done ect...deff a nicely run shop with some good mechanics even washed it up for me before i picked it up.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:46 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

Impressive I'd like that to happen where I go.I just paid 451.00 for my 20,000 mile checkup,I asked why so much(every 5,000 checkup is cheaper) He said cause they go over more stuff.Sure didn't feel like I was paying for anything but an expensive going over.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Thats a rare deal indeed. I hope they keep it real when you go back for your 5000 mile check.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:09 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a good deal, nice to hear not all dealers are "stealers".

Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike has 13,000 + miles on it now... Now that I'm over the initial "Dealer Should Do's" crap and expensive stuff, I no longer care to dance with any Harley dealerships, heck it's cheaper to maintain a car!

You got a nice price from your dealer. the mechanic that did the work probably made about 20 bucks out of it if he was lucky. Anywho... glad to hear your dealership passed the test of professionalism as so many don't! They are IROBOT showup for work turds..

Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug: Sir, you offend me! kinda LOL I will be working at one of those "stealers" come December and I won't be showing up for work "turding" as I hope the vast majority do also. I also hate the "s-word" used so prevealently on this site when people complain about the cost of service when they approved the work being done. And remember to tip your mechanic or better yet tell the service rep you want THEM to work on your bike whenever you need service!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by robzuc97
Doug: Sir, you offend me! kinda LOL I will be working at one of those "stealers" come December and I won't be showing up for work "turding" as I hope the vast majority do also. I also hate the "s-word" used so prevealently on this site when people complain about the cost of service when they approved the work being done. And remember to tip your mechanic or better yet tell the service rep you want THEM to work on your bike whenever you need service!

Sorry to have offended you but the proof is in the pudding so to speak! Having worked with some of the so-called professional mechanics (at least that's what they called themselves).... Only a few are true mechanics that take real pride in their work.. Hopefully you will become one of them.!!!

You are right when you say people have to approve of the work knowing the "cost".. Not much can be done about that if you take the bike to a Harley dealership.. Gotta face facts however, Harley is not really a high-maintenance machine but Harley puts their hands deeply into you pockets for "routine upkeep"!

Harley mechanics.... soon become overworked, barked at by customers, underpaid, not appreciated by the dealerships, not promoted, and expected to do the impossible. After awhile the daily grind catches up.. and all the past "good intentions" to be the best ends up being just another mechanic (and that's in just about every profession).

Good luck on being the exception and not the rule. See if you can get Harley back to earth by keeping general and routine maintenance cost down...

Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Good to hear about the good as well as the bad.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 PM
mopar
Cruiser

Dealer which I purchased my bike from only charges for the fluids on the 1000 mile check up. (If you purchased your bike from them). Sportster cost me $39 and SG cost me $61 for 1000 mile service.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
46knuck
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts
Thumbs up

Post the name of this dealer. I think the good guys deserve praise when they treat a customer as good as that.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile dealer service...