Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aviation Designs for Sportster 1200 Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Harleychick143
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aviation Designs for Sportster 1200 Custom?

Random question - Does anyone know if Harley makes any aviation emblems to put on bikes? There's plenty of skulls and spears, but I'm looking for any kind of propeller, wings, biplanes, etc. to use. I know it may not fit with the tradition of a Harley and that "bad *** image," but it seems there's something for every taste out there. In carrying on the love of flying for my father and grandfather (and mine too), I'm wanting to put something along this sort on my new 1200 custom. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:45 PM
mrb302
Road Master

Werbeck has some really old school aviation themes going on in his Nightster. Not HD, but totally custom stuff.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:06 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are some aviation graphics for motorcycles.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:21 PM
AddictedUSAF
Tourer

I am in the Air Force and I am wanting to do some kind of theme related to that on my Nightster, I think I am going to get some custom airbrushing done along with some other custom parts. Happy hunting on what you are looking for.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Sail and Ride
Tourer

At one time I was interested in that WWII bomber "nose art" style pin-up graphic on a tank, but never did get it.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:34 PM
bharvey60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't seen anything made specifically for a bike, so it's probably a custom job. Check out www.Sportys.com. This is one of the largest providers of aviation supplies and they carry a pretty large selection of aviation related aviation decals, badges, models, etc. Might be some things there a customizer could use to dress a Harley. I buy some of my pilot supplies there and they have decent prices and very good service. Another option may be to attend an airshow. Many sell used airplane parts that might fit the bill. If you think bike parts are expensive, wait to you check out plane parts!! As someone mentioned earlier, check out Werbeck's bike and plane. Awesome...

Old 10-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Prime
Advanced

cool idea! I am an active pilot and HD rider as well... keep us updated if you find anything. I have seen a few "nose-art" inspired paint jobs, and they look cool but new paint is out of my budget... AVGAS is expensive these days!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Harleychick143
6th Gear
Talking Aviation

Thank you all for your suggestions! There's a lot of good things to pick from now. I'm not sure of any air show's in Denver coming up, but I'm on the look out for them. I wasn't quite thinking of doing any airbrush design, but moreso, emblems. However, I would love to do a personal design on my bike about my grandfather's pilot days back in the early 1900's in the Navy and with Pan Am (he flew with Lindbergh and did test flight's for Sikorsky). Maybe his pilot number, picture, airplane's, etc. I'm not exactly raking in the big bucks right now to do anything like this, but it's something to keep in mind down the road. I'm kinda a dork when it comes to military aviation. Thanks again for all your suggestions and feedback!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:05 PM
bharvey60
Cruiser

Ride your Sporty up to a local airport and take the old photos with you. Stop in the General Aviation/FBO building (place where small planes and pilots hang). Park the bike where they can see you coming. Walk in and tell the pilots hanging around that your grandfather flew with Lindbergh. Then show them the photos and a copy of your grandfather's pilot's license (if you have it). Once they're done proposing, they will probably be more than willing to help you with ideas for the bike.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:32 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought the one site was pretty cool !!

Quick Reply: Aviation Designs for Sportster 1200 Custom?