Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Traveling

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:13 PM
TBirdEd76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Traveling

The riding season in New England this year was kinda crapy, lots of rain and never really felt like summer. September was the best month and made more trips to Misquamicut Beach in September than any month. My 06 883C and my friend's 08 FatBob didn't get nearly as many miles as we had planned..........

So our idea was to get on a plane in like January or Febuary and fly out west somewhere, rent a couple of bikes and ride for three days. Problem is, neither of us know jack squat about the west coast, where is a good place to ride that time of year? We were thinking New Mexico, Nevada, California? Where the hell should we go? Where is good riding in January/Febuary? Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
TBirdEd76

Old 10-19-2008, 05:42 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I'm down in Orange County (socal) but my wife and I just got back from a 3-day ride up north. Rented bikes up in San Francisco and rode all the way north through wine country and along PCH. It's an incredibly beautiful ride with lots to do and see. I'm not sure how the weather is up there during those months though? But being that you're from New England, I can guarantee it'll be MUCH better than what you're use to out there!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:47 PM
TBirdEd76
Cruiser

Thanks for the reply brother, New England sucks! Rained every other day this damn summer! If anyone knows weather out that way durring the winter months that would help our decision. All I want to do is escape the snow and cold, and clear the mind and ride in some nice weather. Thanks again for the reply, what did you rent for bikes?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 PM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jbg
I'm down in Orange County (socal) but my wife and I just got back from a 3-day ride up north. Rented bikes up in San Francisco and rode all the way north through wine country and along PCH. It's an incredibly beautiful ride with lots to do and see. I'm not sure how the weather is up there during those months though? But being that you're from New England, I can guarantee it'll be MUCH better than what you're use to out there!
+1
I have driven from SF to San Diego via PCH during a business trip last year - what a great drive.
Someday, I'll rent a bike, and take that ride. Good Luck !

Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carlsbad, NM...Southern NM around Las Cruces looks promising....Tucson, AZ also should be promising, or even the Phoenix area. Unfortunately, I had DESTINATIONS when I went, so I just simply passed through these places about three weeks ago (interstate), but I noticed plenty of desert mountains in Arizona, and I'm almost positive there are some great riding roads around! The road surface quality in Arizona is also great. What little I saw of southern NM was good, too.

Oh....DON'T forget about considering the Hill Country of Texas! Some good riding down south, and it seldom EVER snows down there. I don't know where it is, but there are also some bike-friendly resorts down that way. Waco, TX HD rents bikes and is top notch. And Austin is one of the best cities in Texas. Haven't dealt with the HD there, but I've heard good things about it. Texas also has Big Bend country, considered some excellent riding. I haven't been there yet, though.

However, the suggestion of San Diego to San Francisco (or vice versa) of CA HWY 1, AKA Pacific Coast Highway, is VERY hard to reject. I think that might be your best bet.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
matthewthamm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vegas, Baby. We ride all year here. That is the time of year for Death Valley.
Contact the HOG chapter, might be able to hook up with a club ride around the area (asstdirectorLarry@snhoglv.com).