Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes sporters good in turns?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfranz1952
grip on the roadway.

Nope. Dead wrong. Slowing before a turn and accelerateing through it has nothing whatsover to do with countersteering or the "gyroscope effect", and if any MSF Instructor believes so, then he ought to be fired.

post.

I am wrong? Wanna bet? Google gyroscope and motorcycles together and then post facts instead of your opinion. Here’s a sample of what you will get.

"Basic Explanation: As the gyroscope spins, the force of the spinning causes the gyroscope to want to stay upright and be stable.
As with the motorcycle tire: As the front motorcycle tire spins, the force of the spinning causes the motorcycle body to want to stay upright and be stable.

What happens when you push steer (counter-steer) is you only temporarily (as long as you are pushing on the bar) leaning the motorcycle to the left or right while looking where you want to go. It requires MORE force to lean the motorcycle to the left or right than it does to bring it straight back up because of the gyroscopic effect. Thus the motorcycle always wants to be stable and will bring itself back up right and therefore the motorcycle won't fall down. "

This explanation is readable but if you want a more scientific (physics) explanation, just google it.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 PM
bharvey60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chance are your stock Sporty can handle tighter turns than you'll be able to muster for some time. I would look to improve your cornering technique before spending any $ on mods. Learning to take the proper line through a turn, transferring weight to footpegs, shifting your rear to the inside of turn will all make you turn much tighter without leaning any further (or making any mods). There are numerous excellent books on the subject. Check out Amazon or look for recommendations in previous posts.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 PM
hogsolo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find leaning fwd over the tank makes my nightster handle more better...

Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hogsolo
I find leaning fwd over the tank makes my nightster handle more better...
Yeah its not a well-balanced bike.

Add 2-3 inches to the rear suspension and you'll blow other sportsters out of the corners. The rake and trail is changed for the better.