Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes sporters good in turns?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:44 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sportster riders have hair on there ***** that's why they go around corners faster.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 PM
speighd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steeper rake (30.1 on XL1200C vs 32 on a FLSTC).
Shorter wheelbase (60.4 on XL1200C, 66.9 on FLSTC).
Lower (4.4" ground clearence on XL1200C, 5.1" on FLSTC).
Weight (562 lbs XL1200C vs 672 lbs for FLSTC).
The XL1200C can turn in a lot shorter radius turn.
Turns go to the Sportster.....

Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ripto
I find myself slowing down a considerable amount when going into turns so it's probably just the fact that I've only been riding for 3.5 months and don't feel comfortable leaning that much.
If you want my opinion... you are doing the right thing...

The biggest mistake is people go barreling off into a turn then decide they are going too fast then try to back off...

Slow up going in and then when you get comfortable with the feel... start accelerating out...

All that being said... slowing up a bike in a turn aint an easy task... you can't see around them.... its kinda like over driving your headlights... you have leave yourself enough time to react to a situation...

It may not be as much fun... but you'll live a lot longer.

A turn you've been around a hundred times can change from one time to the next... gravel... leafs... dead animals even stopped cars can be just out of your vision... then all of a sudden you're on top of them...

Like I said... do what you are doing... you'll be fine...

Charlie D.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:40 AM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speighd
Steeper rake (30.1 on XL1200C vs 32 on a FLSTC).
Shorter wheelbase (60.4 on XL1200C, 66.9 on FLSTC).
Lower (4.4" ground clearence on XL1200C, 5.1" on FLSTC).
Weight (562 lbs XL1200C vs 672 lbs for FLSTC).
The XL1200C can turn in a lot shorter radius turn.
Turns go to the Sportster.....
Except lower means less ground clearance and less lean angle?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Fear Night
Tourer

Originally Posted by rfranz1952
Except lower means less ground clearance and less lean angle?
Lower center of gravity.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:24 PM
SikRyd
Tourer

One thing I am surprised nobody mentioned is that new tire have a "slick" coating on them that needs to be worn off before trying any hard core turns. I usually use sand paper to rough up the outer edge. I don't know how many times I forgot and leaned it over a wee bit too far, hit that slick part that hasn't been worn off on the road and the back end broke loose and got squirely. I have ridden all my life and am used to it, but it still puckers my A## everytime it happens.
It is just best to sand the outer edge down to rough it up so that doesn't happen. The bottom line is that going into turns hot and making it out the other side takes a lot of different things, and they all include experience and what to do when a certain situation arises. 99% of the time, I learned the hard way, freaked out and somehow came out the other side ahead, with a TON OF knowledge for the next time something like that happens.
Have fun and don't ride beyond your ability, but sure as hell ride that edge, cause there is NOTHING BETTER than getting that adrenalin pumping and having a crazy fun ride!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Steve_in_FL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schumacher
There's no reason for name calling, mandog
Yeah, you big, fat pooh-pooh head!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
KindredSpirit
Advanced

My bikes and perspective on handling: 08 XL1200R, 08 FLHT, 05 Honda CBR1000RR, 06 Honda 919. #1 - The Sportster is not a sportbike. That being said, what separates it from large touring Harleys is the solidity of the chassis. The big bikes have a pronounced rear suspension wallowing in high speed turns. This is the issue that HD supposedly addressed with the new touring frame in 09. Compared to the FLHT, I can corner, lean and accelerate out of a corner on the Sportster with no rear suspension wallowing. Compared to the Hondas, the Sportster does not "flick" from side to side. Why? Not enough weight distribution on the front end. On the other hand, my wrists don't hurt when riding the Sportster!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:41 PM
harleychicknj
Advanced

Bryan if you are referring to the accident this past summer in the Pines.....she survived and is recoverring nicely. She is looking forward to riding next season.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Bryan53
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleychicknj
Bryan if you are referring to the accident this past summer in the Pines.....she survived and is recoverring nicely. She is looking forward to riding next season.
Its good to hear that. I talked with someone from the group and they said it didn't look good. If you remember I was 2nd in line waiting to go towards Tabernacle. The whole thing so clear in my head it is like it happened yesterday.

I was there on that curve yesterday and the terrain down beyond the guard rail there is rough enough to mess you up if you jumped down there. You know the crappiest thing about that curve is there is always always gravel and sand on the white line in that turn. Someone ought to put a sign up just before that turn as you are heading into Chatsworth.

That scared the crap out of me that day. I felt terrible and was sick. I had gone about 80 miles that day when I came upon that scene.

I hope I described what happened accurately enough. Thank you for the update.

Last edited by Bryan53; 10-20-2008 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: What makes sporters good in turns?