Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes sporters good in turns?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:03 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

When it comes to low speed handing, the Touring models are superior over any of the other models due to the Touring rigs reversed triple tree fork set up. They have absolutely no flop.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 PM
2yld
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's size, it's weight. Of course, I'm sure the weight of the rider makes a difference as well. The Sporty is the original race bike. Sporties hug the curves and lay down in them great! I know when I'm behind hubby on his Superglide and we hit the curves, I am pulling back, as his bike just doesn't handle the curves as well as mine does. And, he has 100,000 more miles on his than mine, so it isn't his lack of skill!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:54 AM
Fear Night
Tourer

Do yourself a favor and take the MSF course to learn how to properly take a corner. Viola, no more corner anxiety.

If the pegs aren't dragging, you aren't going fast enough!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ripto
Thanks bryan I'll give that a shot.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the video but then I realized he could have grabbed the link to that by accident since there are police and demonstrations on the left hand side of the page.

Ripto...That's exactley what had happened....I wanted you to look at the police videos.
The correct way to enter a turn is to slow down prior to entering and then accerate or keep constant speed throught the turns. This is what what creates the counter steering / gyro scope effect. Any MSF instructor would tell you this. The LAST thing you want to do is brake while turning (unlike Bryans suggestion of turning and braking). That is how bikes are dropped....BRAKING THROUGH TURNS

NOW BRYAN, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GO **** YOURSELF. TELL ME WHERE IN MY POST DID I BASHED SPORTSTERS YOU LITTLE ****.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I don't want to start any controversy either. But I have a big twin and a sporty and I feel more comfortable in curves on the bigger bike. It seems more balanced and natural to me, but then again I don't ride the sporty much any more. I think a lot of it is getting used to whatever you ride and gaining confidence in yourself and the bike. There has been a lot of good advice in this thread so far.

Shakey

Old 10-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Mandog
Road Master

Hey Brian...I just read your whole post. You are giving riding tips to guy who has been riding for three months and you have only been riding for 10 months? I just pasted this statement from your post:

Brian wrote: "Now I am into my 10th month and I still haven't gotten close to the limits of leaning on my bike. I know the limits because I found them at slow speeds. I just don't feel comfortable getting to close to those limits." END QUOTE

You think you found the limits of your Sportsters lean by leaning at slow speeds? You got the concept of turning a little backwards my friend.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mandog
Ripto...That's exactley what had happened....I wanted you to look at the police videos.
The correct way to enter a turn is to slow down prior to entering and then accerate or keep constant speed throught the turns. This is what what creates the counter steering / gyro scope effect. Any MSF instructor would tell you this. The LAST thing you want to do is brake while turning (unlike Bryans suggestion of turning and braking). That is how bikes are dropped....BRAKING THROUGH TURNS

NOW BRYAN, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GO **** YOURSELF. TELL ME WHERE IN MY POST DID I BASHED SPORTSTERS YOU LITTLE ****.
I have to disagree on some points.....some corners there is no need to slow down(long sweeprs) before entering the turn you are actually accelerating the whole time , Before you enter the turn apex exit etc etc .If used correctly you can trail brake your front brakes all the way through the corner.Check out ebay and get a book called a twist of the wrist by Keith Code ,it has alot of good info ,and like everyone says take a saftey course.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Monzie
Tourer

That thing will lean quite a bit. I scrape hard parts quite often usually the jiffy stand most but I do get one of the lower muffler bolts on the other side from time to time. Just take it easy and your comfort level will come up.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:44 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wheelbase and frame geometry have a lot to do with it. IMO, the standards and the R's sit very much like the 80's superbikes. I spent some time with a 86 1100 GPZ and my Sporty reminds me a lot of that bike

Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The correct way to enter a turn is to slow down prior to entering and then accerate or keep constant speed throught the turns. This is what what creates the counter steering / gyro scope effect. Any MSF instructor would tell you this. The LAST thing you want to do is brake while turning
This is exactly what the instructor in the MSF course taught us and when you took the road test you had better follow those instructions. You brake before the turn (if needed) then come off the brakes in the turn and roll on the throttle and accelerate just as Mandog described.

But like everyone else has said, don't ride beyond your limits! I returned to riding 4 months ago (after a 20+ year hiatus), so in some ways I'm in the same boat. What I do is go out to some rural country roads with some nice twisties and just ride at my comfort zone but each time I try to do it better.

I also go to a parking lot and practice the techniques they taught us in the MSF class which if you haven't taken I would encourage you to do so.

Hth

Quick Reply: What makes sporters good in turns?